Tutorial Bowling Tips

rockyj123

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
in the demo.. i just keep all my fielders on the off side, except a mid on.. 4 players inside the circle , short cover , short point, short mid off and cover/point and rest in the outfield... this way either the batsman misstimes his shots and gives a catch to my close in fielders or tries to go for a big one and gets caught in the outfield....
i usually keep my length full, outside off...
but only problem is catches go down sometimes..but theres always runout to cover them up :P...

shan111

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How am I supposed to change the speed of the ball for spinners? The devs said in the interview that stopping in the lower part of the quality meter would speed up the delivery and vice-versa for slower delivery. But it does'nt happen at all.
Same case for fast bowlers although they do have the slower ball.
Any advice guys?

D

Dutch

Okay, some confirmation here please: having played the demo for a while now am I right in saying that you have to match the colour of the ball placement marker with the colour on the quality meter? If that is the case then that does give lots of room to vary things instead of just looking for yellow marker/yellow guage. I have been experimenting and I seem to be able to bowl shorter without too much punishment (if the line is still good), which is a green marker, if I match that with green on the quality guage. Is this true or am I once again using the wrong orifice to express my opinion?:)

jmxx009

School Cricketer
I dont know why but i find the game extremely difficult to bowl. I have to admit, i am not good at bowling in real life. Basically, i am trying to pitch each ball at the perfect yellow spot at the perfect yellow execution thingy (if thats what it is called). However i keep getting smacked around for 4s and 6s. I am not sure if i am doing the right thing. I would appreciate it if someone would take the time to make a detailed walkthrough or guide on bowling for people like me. Dont get me wrong, i do get wickets but they are occasional.
I know some of you have suggested fooling the AI by changing the delivery type at the last second. I tried that and i am still getting smacked.
The fact that the AI is batting so aggresively and the runout bugs that i am constantly facing is killing the game for me. Somebody please help me.
I just played a ODI between India (me) and Sri Lanka. The batting was realistic, i got 302 in 50 overs. However when i started bowling. They only managed to score 179 in 18 overs. I was smacked around and only managed to take 3 wickets. The rest were all runouts ( 7 !!! ).

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Here are 2 tips that help slow down the run rate and usually get a wicket.

Scenario 1 with Brett Lee

I select a straight delivery and hold it full outside off (picture1), as soon as its time to stop the meter I change to an inswinger and move to where the cursor is in the 2nd picture

This method usually bowls or lbws the AI. Sometimes they even leave the ball and the stumps break!

Scenario 2 with Mitch Johnson

I bowl a few bouncers on what the color meter considers the perfect length, see 3rd picture .

Then I select a fast ball and get ready to bowl another bouncer, however I select the slower ball at the last second. Funnily enough when I was trying this to take the screen shots I got a catch opportunity.

Using these two techniques and varying the length/line , pace and using swing and seam, it is easy to contain the AI.

ImageShack Gallery

Hey can you repost those pictures, because in picture 1 your bowling to a left hander, and in picture 2 your bowling to a right hander, so what you said makes no sense. I'm keen to try your suggestion, have been trying something similar and it didn't work, not even 1 chance in 30 overs.

99 Not Out

Club Cricketer
I dunno if I am sounding dum here...but me and many of my friends did it.

When bowling I was always making the ball pitch on the dark green. But I realised that you have to pitch it on the yellow. I find that swing is no help at all. I not 'cut' the ball into the batsmen and it takes me far more wickets! :D

nimish_sach

Club Cricketer
Hey can you repost those pictures, because in picture 1 your bowling to a left hander, and in picture 2 your bowling to a right hander, so what you said makes no sense. I'm keen to try your suggestion, have been trying something similar and it didn't work, not even 1 chance in 30 overs.

And the second picture is a no ball as well see the marker is red!

P

pcfan123

yea mate i realized my stupidity after I had posted. I will remake the tutorial in an hour or so.

99 Not Out

Club Cricketer
Guys try this during test matches - bowl bouncers continuously (just short enough not to be called a wide - and fast) with Lee and Johnson (Aus) with a short cover, short mid-wicket and bring in your mid-off and mid-on to the closer positions.

You will pick-up all 10 wickets with only these 4 fielders catching, and will likely bowl out your competition for under 60 runs... did it twice in a row under the most difficult setting

Try it and let me know your outcomes

I am actually going to avoid doing this at all. The game will not be fun if you search for and use exploits. This game allows you to bowl to a plan and use tactics. I think I will try that route.

I agree with Hmarka, I think bowling Australia all out for 60 and then getting 400 with seem too unrealistic and doesn't sound fun. I might however try it if I was going to try and complete the achievements, but not whilst I'm playing the Ashes series

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
5uk70z.jpg

Use the above the field setting and bowl 3-4 bowls in the yellow zone with yellow in the quality meter,then bowl in the yellow zone with early part of the light green zone in the quality meter.A.I is designed to punish the bowls in dark green and early light greenish parts in the quality meter and when they tries to play a shot instead defending in this field setting,most probably a catch will occur.Also try to mix up the ball variations.This field setting can also used to restrict A.I runrate btw 2.5-3.5.

adthomp

International Cricketer
well I really really suck.... couldnt even defend 169 in 20 20 I was SA against Sri Lanka

they hit a 6 off the 2nd last ball to win by 9 wickets with 1 ball in hand

yes I kept bowling in the light green spot couldnt take a wicket to save my life did drop 2 catches that were orange... just terrible

I do not understnad swing bowling for a start it flashes green most of the time I dont get it

D

Dutch

Yes I'm finding I can restrict the run rate better now, but taking wickets apart from catches is another thing although I did take a leg before, which was nice!:)

P

pcfan123

Yes I'm finding I can restrict the run rate better now, but taking wickets apart from catches is another thing although I did take a leg before, which was nice!:)

how did you get your LBW?

D

Dutch

how did you get your LBW?

Following your advice actually....initiating an outswinger on offstump, then just before release bringing it in and turning it into a straight one. Haddin played a diabolical slog to it to be fair and Monty Panesars brother, who is umpiring in this game apparently, gave him the finger, in the most sensitive of ways of course!:D

Users who are viewing this thread