Bracken's career was hanging by a thread

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
AUSTRALIAN fast bowler Nathan Bracken's career was just a thread of cartilage away from a possible career-ending injury.

Bracken, who was named the player of the recent one-day series against India and Sri Lanka, underwent urgent surgery in Melbourne on Thursday after a scan showed his knee cartilage was perilously close to snapping.

Full Article at SMH

Well seems to me It will take time to Recover..
Although He is lucky that Diagnosis and Surgery were happen at right time..It could went more bad.....

Just little bit of Rehabilitation and Lots of Calcium..He'll be ready to play in 3 Months...

Lucky.

This is besides the point but why did he name his son Chase!?

Never knew Bracken had an injury this serious. He doesn't seem to be one of those injury prone players so it is a bit of a shock.

Well IPL is boon for him then. But he looks injury free all time.

Definitely lucky that our cricket season is over, the fate thing again helping out a player. A few ago a rugby player suffered concussion only to find he had a brain tumor. Bracken should be ready for the next season I suspect.

When did he get this injury and how?
Cartilage damage is pretty much just down to wear and tear, which is why he was able to carry it through the season rather unnoticed. Even if caused by a collision, it's your own bones bumping together that erodes cartilage in your joints. If you take a big knock, you're probably more likely to damage the ligaments with the twisting that is applied to the joint.

As is indicated, Bracken's knee was like 'old paint peeling' and he describes the tonne of pressure his femur exerts on the top of his tibia. You can imagine how it eventually grates little bits off. Unfortunately, cartilage doesn't really grow back, but the body can work around that to some extent.

Stacks of sportsmen quietly get 'cleanup' surgery at the end of a season; you've probably heard of the arthroscope, even knee reconstructions are done by this method. Only a small 'keyhole' incision is needed and the surgeon sees in through a tiny camera. If a player needs only some cartilage removed, then the recovery is easily contained between the end of a season and the preseason. It's usually only major news if they're expected to play.

Lucky.

This is besides the point but why did he name his son Chase!?
New South Welshmen...

Now get back on topic so no one can argue with me ;)

Definitely lucky that our cricket season is over, the fate thing again helping out a player. A few ago a rugby player suffered concussion only to find he had a brain tumor. Bracken should be ready for the next season I suspect.
Yeah I read about that, it was Mark Gerrard yeah? Really sad. Lucky Bracken is still going, because he has a lot to offer Australia. One of our best ODI bowlers by far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread