Breaking News- Brian Charles Lara Retires

Surprising little stat, he only had 6 not outs in 131 test matches, quit low isn't it?

I'm just trying to find some stats on the great man but CricInfo is being annoying, off to other places me thinks.

Good record vs the Aussies, 9 test hundreds averaged 51 vs them and 62 against us....

another interesting stat is that he scored his 1st 100 vs pakistan in 2005 only

in those days his average vs us was in mid 20's

dunno about now,
must be over 50 after all those hundreds in last 2 years

Very sad news am really crying for him.... Wat a great player...He is the second among top 100 best players of all time...

West Indies have lost Lara now we have to see who will take over his place and try to get them as good as they were under his captincy i will miss Brian Lara playing cricket for the West Indies :(

I wish he play one more match to got his 300th match and score a hundred
not finish off with a run out.

Goodbye `Prince` ! You`ll be missed.
What a sad way to end the career.
How I wished for K.P to miss the stumps !

This leaves a huge gap which cannot be filled , at least very quickly in World and West Indian cricket.

There are not many greats left in the world game now .
Lara,Inzy,Glen Mcgrath,Warnie all retiring within a few months has l.eft World Cricket poorer.
Sachin,Ponting , Murali are the few geniuses left in World Cricket now.

West Indies were one of my favourite sides , minly because of Lara .
Watching the Windies play will never be the same again.

aditya123 said:
Goodbye `Prince` ! You`ll be missed.
What a sad way to end the career.
How I wished for K.P to miss the stumps !

This leaves a huge gap which cannot be filled , at least very quickly in World and West Indian cricket.

I agree it is big shoes to fill for the WI batsman but they still have quality batsman up their sleeves such as Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Smith and have a few up and comers such as Samuels and Simmons. So it ain't all doom and gloom for the Windies. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for WI cricket, for the past 5 years they have had to rely on Lara to perform on basically every occasion but now because of his absence the whole team needs to perform well instead of the one man.

aditya123 said:
There are not many greats left in the world game now .
Lara,Inzy,Glen Mcgrath,Warnie all retiring within a few months has l.eft World Cricket poorer.
Sachin,Ponting , Murali are the few geniuses left in World Cricket now.

Well the players mentioned above certainly were the greats of the 90's and are still the greats of todays modern game. Sachin I can not see him lasting too much longer unless if he can rectify his current form slump, Ponting I can see probably 4-5 years left in him, Murali also expect to see him for another 4-5 years as well, Jayasuriya will leave the game in the next year or two I feel and Pollock has about 2-3 years left in him. There aren't too many greats remaining in the modern game I'm afraid.

You people make it sound that cricket is coming to a demise and that there will never be anymore cricketing greats.

I'm backing Pietersen by the end of his career to be one of the greatest batsman of all time.

it's sad that he was honored by everyone but most of his teammates...england gave his a guard of honor but his teammates didn't when he walked back or at least they could have been behind him when he did the lap around the park let alone parade on the shoulders like warne got...his teammates bar a few let him down today...but i hope he stays associated with windies cricket and be part of the admins or something...

Great player, one of the best and exciting batsmen ever! I wish he had at least gotten a 50 in his last match but samuels...

aditya123 said:
Watching the Windies play will never be the same again.
Agreed.

Every West Indies match I watched I thought till Lara was at the crease Windies had a chance, whatever the situation may be.

Lara can never be replaced.

Harrypotter_fan said:
Every West Indies match I watched I thought till Lara was at the crease Windies had a chance, whatever the situation may be.

Thou art right son. There will never be another Lara!!

Harrypotter_fan said:

People probably thought that when Viv Richards retired, but then Lara came along.............

Users who are viewing this thread