Buying Don Bradman Cricket 14 in Asia

The other issue for Indians complaining of the price, the import duty is a whopping 28.85% on video games!!!! I hope your government is spending your money wisely!

There's no government in India...Only rich politicians increasing their assets....:D

The other issue for Indians complaining of the price, the import duty is a whopping 28.85% on video games!!!! I hope your government is spending your money wisely!
I had read that Sony had started making discs locally to avoid that, though I suppose that's just first/second party games? Suppose it would take a lot of volume to be viable.

That also puts into perspective that you're still taking a hit on margins to get the game into India, even at a price considered too high in the market.

Nope....they believe in saving it

In their own swiss bank accounts

I had read that Sony had started making discs locally to avoid that, though I suppose that's just first/second party games? Suppose it would take a lot of volume to be viable.

That also puts into perspective that you're still taking a hit on margins to get the game into India, even at a price considered too high in the market.

My understanding is that for whatever reason, possibly volume, they wouldn't make them there. Crazy tax rate for a country that does not make Console games - what are they protecting?

Edit: and of course the sales tax is on top of that tax, a tax on a tax.

My understanding is that for whatever reason, possibly volume, they wouldn't make them there. Crazy tax rate for a country that does not make Console games - what are they protecting?

Can game contents be made in such a way that it works if bought in their country only??

I wish you could argue with the politicians here. I suppose it comes under the entertainment industry and as that generates a lot a of money they might have just imposed the tax not knowing much about it.
Also talking about protecting, being a agricultural majority country, its crazy that we are forced to buy from USA and not allowed to reuse the seeds from our own growth in many parts of India.

It might not be about protecting anything. They may have realised that the only way to get games in the country is from imports therefore tax them hard for some extra cash. Not necessarily the best economic strategy (as I suspect games are fairly elastic) but it is a strategy

It might not be about protecting anything. They may have realised that the only way to get games in the country is from imports therefore tax them hard for some extra cash. Not necessarily the best economic strategy (as I suspect games are fairly elastic) but it is a strategy

Normally taxes that high are to protect a local market.

Oh I know this, but since you said there was no console development to speak of in India, I was looking for other explanations :)

Well the Indian tax department are making more than anyone else involved with the game.

Well the Indian tax department are making more than anyone else involved with the game.

That is why BCCI is so inspired to make money, well it is totally a different story which is not appropriate/no-worth to even discuss.

In Short - It is not efficient straight forward governing bodies of a well developed country, rather it is 80% corrupted having ability to hurt its own country folks.:thumbs This is a sports forums, so yeah not worth to discuss as nothing is going to happen correct. :p

Don't Trine do console games?

Yes they do but I wouldn't call them an industry that needs protection (said with no disrespect towards them at all).

If anyone needs protection it is those outside India that pay high dev costs whereas India's are low.

Anyway, enough of that just wanted to point out that my biggest partner in India is the government.

Yes they do but I wouldn't call them an industry that needs protection (said with no disrespect towards them at all).

If anyone needs protection it is those outside India that pay high dev costs whereas India's are low.

Anyway, enough of that just wanted to point out that my biggest partner in India is the government.

Join AAP :p

Users who are viewing this thread