Your Cricket Captaincy

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, now, I'm having massive second thoughts about captaining my school side. I don't know whether to do it or just be a player. I don't really know much about setting fields, but the rest I know what's going on.

So, should I captain, and how can I set fields successfully?

Maybe you could co-captain... ill go up to my captain every now and then to have a word and just give him some ideas about the field. Sometimes its successful sometimes its not... but more than 50% success rate is still good i think lol.

Basically you dont want to do too much or too little. Basically there isnt really too many set plans you can have... it depends on the what the bowler is bowling, what the batsman is doing and the environment.

Last season this guy was playing leg clances a bit upish while i was bowling, so i got fine leg to a leg gully/ leg slip kind of position. Next ball bowled it nice and wide down leg side... band straight to him. That was a good feeling to have that plan come off first ball

Yeah I was thinking about going vice or having 2 vices helping me run the show, or something like that. Or I could step down completely and let them do the job.

Yeah I was thinking about going vice or having 2 vices helping me run the show, or something like that. Or I could step down completely and let them do the job.

I could be the captain i would love to take the challange and you could help me along with Ben soo thats what i reckon .

Just be captain, its not hard. Set ring fields and if they hit a boundary, protect that area.

Its not hard being a captain in underage cricket, its not like International cricket.

When I was captain in year 9 (about 13 years old i think) this was what i done.

You have 9 fielders, and you pretty much do a ring field; slip, point, cover, mid off, mid on, mid wicket, square leg and fine leg on boundary. Then you have one more who i normally start at third man or a second slip/gully/fly slip.

Later in game you can move slip out to protect boundary, if you feel you are giving away to many singles pull mid on/off up a bit and drop cover/mid wicket back around. You can also drop square leg and point back depending on situation etc.

If you have a really good bowler who is always bowling off or outside move someone form leg side to a short mid off position which would stop the flow off runs down the ground.

That is probably the most basic field and at age group level like 13 years old it should be reasonably effective.

As co-captain of my hockey team and vice captain of my cricket team i know what leadership is like, having captained in both, both being very different tactically....

The most important thing is to be loud. Very Loud. Don't hold back from belting out a loud "Well bowled Benno" or "It's not a library boys!" Encourage your teammates, even if they aren't doing as well as you would like.

Secondly, take risks. Your coach tells you one slip max. Use two, or even more if you feel like it. A captain can never fear failure, it's not an option.

Finally, enjoy yourself. When your strike bowler gets hit for his third four of the over don't drop your head and shake it, he's going to see it and this will make him feel even worse. Stay on your feet, stay loud and positive body language and a positive mindset is the key.

Good Luck!

Probably wouldn't set a mid-on to your quicker bowlers unless they are leg-side bowlers.. it's pretty easy to make fields, anyway. Doesn't take incredible brain-power, just work with your bowlers, let them know what areas you want the ball... etc. etc.

So I should run up to my bowlers from the slips (more likely gully/point) and tell them what to do?

In junior cricket, at least where I am, captains never talk to bowlers like that, usually let the bowler do what he wants, and then change the field accordingly.

Not every ball, but between overs, yes. I field at cover/midwicket anyway, so it's easy to control the team from there.

I can field at mid off, would make things easier, but I would probably do better at point/gully, and when your best slips fielder (also opening bowler) is bowling, I'll probably slip into the slips (no pun intended).

Whenever I've captain in gully cricket, I'd talk to the bowler before hand, discuss with him where to bowl to a certain batsman, ask him if he can manage it, give him a field, and then run off to field where the best fielder is needed (as that is usually me). And if the plan doesn't seem to be working that over, go up to him and change it.

Works for me./

Don't worry man be the captain as I am also the school captain of the team.

Users who are viewing this thread