Challenges for Aussies in World Cup 2007

If current form was anything to go by, and the ICC Rankings, and the rate that the teams are going at with their rankings, Pakistan could easily go to #2.

To me, the WC 2007 Final will be Australia vs Pakistan , as even Cricinfo has said that the series between England and Pakistan has been decided :p .

Pakistan's bowling attack :

Shoaib Akhtar
Mohammad Sami
Rana Naved
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Shoaib Malik,
and of course, you have the option of bowling Yasir Arafat, if hes the super sub, which looks like a very high chance. But I'm wondering, what happen to Azhar Mahmood, I would think he would be a better batsman and bowler than Arafat!

However, the strength is in Pakistan's batting at the moment.

I hope the supersub rule isn't used in the World Cup, ODIs since that rule was brought in have had larger victory margins.

I had this strange dream some weeks ago (which I did mention in some similar thread), about the World cup final being held between England and South Africa, and Simon Jones hitting the winning runs to give England a 2 wicket win.

To be honest, I think both these teams are capable of lifting the trophy. For England, well, if they retain the Ashes in Australia, I dont care what they do in the world cup.

I think New Zealand might have one of the best chances ever. So I hope we make the final. I think we will make the top 4. South Africa should make it also. Australia are all but guarenteed to make it. Kenya could make it again. (joking)

I hope the final four goes as follows

1. Australia
2. India
3. South Africa
4. Pakistan

And hope Australia faces Pakistan and India face South Africa. Another hope is for India to beat South Africa and for Pakistan to beat Australia! Then it becomes a sub-continental clash and the World Cup destined to come to the sub continent!

An India-Pakistan final would be the icing on the cake and the whole world would just sit up to watch this final!

(This is my dream! And of course, India should eventually triumph the final beating Pakistan by 2 runs)

Seeing from the past 15 years I reckon these are the four best teams. And off course I hope it will be Pakistan vs India in the final. But only Pakistan winning the final. :)

The Champions Trophy will be an indication for which teams are in form.

My Dream is Bangla vs. Australia :) And Bangla wiN! :)

But India vs. Pakistan will have to do...

obviously the past 15 years count for nothing in the world cup. The best team at that time will win it.

South Africa v England is still my prediction for the final!

SA beat Aus in the semis, and England beat NZ!!

saisrini80 said:
I hope the final four goes as follows

1. Australia
2. India
3. South Africa
4. Pakistan

And hope Australia faces Pakistan and India face South Africa. Another hope is for India to beat South Africa and for Pakistan to beat Australia! Then it becomes a sub-continental clash and the World Cup destined to come to the sub continent!

An India-Pakistan final would be the icing on the cake and the whole world would just sit up to watch this final!

(This is my dream! And of course, India should eventually triumph the final beating Pakistan by 2 runs)
and I would guarantee a few deaths due to heart attacks if that happens !

I feel the 4 semifinalists will be -----
New Zealand
Pakistan
India
West Indies

You might laugh at me for having picked the Windies but remember, they are the home side and will hve the crowd behind them .
They won the Champions Trophy 2004 and have th playrs to win the World Cup . Lara will want to hang his boots on a happy note.
Windies for me are massive contenders, especially considering the fact that there is still 1 and a half years to go for the WC and they can easily build a good side.
In fact a lot can happen in a year and a half . Sides can get on a roll or go on a real form slump.
The good thing for India and Pakistan is that the wickets in West Indies are good for batting and spin !
The Champions Trophy 2006 will provide us a good indication because of similarity in pitch conditions and beause there will be only a few months between the WC and the Champions Trophy .

I predict semi Finalists Pakistan vs South Africa and India vs Australia.........Imagine a India vs Pakistan final?..........its going to be heart-breaking for any side of the nation if thier team loses.......if that does happen I back India to win it......India have got the perfect batting line up, the fielding is improving but the bowling still needs questioning.......after all Tendulkar deserves a winners-medal. Its been a long time since India last won the world cup and hopefully in 2007 India shall bring it back where it belongs ( in asia).

I wish too that it will be Pak-India final..... but we should care for the prople who will die of the heart attack and I assure you that the tally will be very large :D
I wish Pak-Ind final should tie at 290 runs each :D :D :D :D
what is going to happen then :D :D

PakiFan said:
I wish too that it will be Pak-India final..... but we should care for the prople who will die of the heart attack and I assure you that the tally will be very large :D
I wish Pak-Ind final should tie at 290 runs each :D :D :D :D
what is going to happen then :D :D

If it is a tie both nations will be compliaing "we won it"......."we played better". Just arguements all the way untill the next world cup.

Last edited:
In that occasion maybe the previous result will count in the group stages. Just like how Australia won the World Cup match in 1999 against South Africa. And seeing that both Pakistan and India would have reached the final (in that occasion), they would have both qualified to the group stages, where each country will play against each other. So they will definitely meet each other.

ZexyZahid said:
In that occasion maybe the previous result will count in the group stages. Just like how Australia won the World Cup match in 1999 against South Africa. And seeing that both Pakistan and India would have reached the final (in that occasion), they would have both qualified to the group stages, where each country will play against each other. So they will definitely meet each other.

This time the umpires will not make a mistake like they did in the semi-final Australia vs South africa 99, where the ball DOnald was run out, Fleming actually oversepped, if you puase the video just when Fleming is about to release the ball. Steve Bucknar did not give Ponting out as it in world cup 03 final where off D mongias bowling when Ponting was plumb.....and Bucknar in 92 world cup final turned some plumb Ibw shouts down off Pringles bowling. But why am I complaining?, its all history now.

What are you saying? Fleming bowled a no ball then when Donald was run out? I didn't know that.

I remember vaguely the name Pringle. Didn't he use to play for South Africa?

But I think the rules won't change much as I said. With a tie, the previous result between two teams will count.

Users who are viewing this thread