Challenges for umpire decisions

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Those who watch NFL might know this but for others who don't or not able to see it, the coach of the team is given two chances per half to challenge the ruling on the field. He essentially throws a red flag on the ground questioning the ruling of the referee/umpires. The referees then watch the replays of play under question and decide whether the ruling on the field stands or can be reversed. If the challenge by the coach is successful then the play is reversed and coach gets another challenge (only one more... so in total only 3 per half if the challenge is successful). If the challenge is turned down then the team challenging is penalized with a timeout (each team has 3 timeouts per half).

Can such a system be implemented in Cricket where a coach of the team could challenge certain umpiring decisions such as lbw decisions, or close to call catches, or even doubtful bat-pad catches?? Remember, that if there is no conclusive eveidence to overrule the call on the field then the challenge is automatically turned down.

With teams being so competitive nowadays and technology like hawk eye, and super slo-mo available shouldn't the coaches be allowed to challenge the umpire's decision? The coaches could be given only 2 challenges per innings. If the challenge is unsuccessful then the team calling the challenge could be penalized runs too if applicable. What do you guys think??

Dude it sounds like a good idea, but i feel thats the whole excitement of cricket. The umpire makes one bad desicion when the batsman on 7 or something and then he goes on to hit a double hundred. :) thats what cricket's all about, and i don't want it to change.

Yeah but if there's a limit to the amount of times the coach can ask it it'll be quite helpfull.......we should start using more technology in cricket, u see it in every other sport...hawk-eye and ultra-motion r particularly useful in close calls....

You know I'd tend to agree with you, but then if Laxman was given out in the recent match against Sri Lanka, who knows what the result would be. :p Of course, for the sake of accurate cricket, something similar should be implemented. Will it? The ICC never really implemented 3rd umpires for LBW.

I am familiar with the NFL challenge rule, but I'm not a great believer in umpires being challenged. The ICC analyses each umpires performance and make decisions based upon that. Like a player who is having a bad run of outs, an umpire should be dropped from Test level if he is not performing.

Part of the excitement of cricket is hearing an appeal and watching to see if the umpire raises his finger.

The other side of the coin is, what happens if a batsman is given out? Can he challenge the decision, or does his captain contact the 3rd Umpire and request a challenge...meanwhile we have all gone to sleep and our beers are going flat.

sachin said:
But the Aussies love challenging so it isn't non-existent in the modern game.

If ye don't ask, ye don't receive :)

Hawkeye couldn't be brought in yet anyway as it is not 100% accurate for every ball. It can be easily affected by birds and or similar objects.

Hawkeye's accuracy (or any technology for that matter) isn't the point. The umpires aren't there to simply carry out the rules of the game, they are there to make decisions and uphold the laws of cricket.

The use of Hawkeye to adjudicate would effectively mean Hawkeye makes the decision, not the umpire.

I am familiar with the NFL law of challenges, but I don't think I wanna see it in test cricket. Maybe in ODIs or T20s, but definitely not tests. That said, I really think the ICC should take action against umpires who make mistakes on a consistent basis. The England series was the first one I watched in a long time, and a lot of the decisions given were just horrible (for both sides). This needs to be sorted out, or else umpires will turn into bullies....coughHaircough.

SA coach made an excellent point about umpires being put under tremendous pressure by world class bowlers like Warne. I think the aura around these bowlers is so enormous that the umpires tend to give more decision in favor of these great bowlers. What I mean to say is that if Warne and for e.g. S. Bahutule bowl same exact delivery and hit the batsmen on the pads in exact position then the batsman will be given out more times for Warne's appeal than Bahutule's as Warne's reputation and class is much higher than other spinners. It is a human tendency. The challenges in such situation can be helpful in such cases.

Its not a case of cricket being Americanized, its a case of taking the good things from other sports to make cricket a better game.

i agree with you rahul...but one thing we should not forget....that after all they are humans...and they dont get any reply or any sort of technology...to review your decision

They have to first look down at bolwers foot mark for no ball
And then have to follow the ball

When a bolwer is bolwing at 150kph its realy difficult...

Users who are viewing this thread