CM 01-02: Cork City's Long Hard Struggle

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
2001-02hd.JPG

So here I am, standing in the centre circle of Turners Cross, I look to my right, there, slightly off cue behind the goal stands the Shed. Shed by name and shed by nature, a flimsy frame with an old rusting green corrigate iron roof. For years I would sqeeze against the blue crush barriers and roar the Rebel Army onto victory, and mostly defeat. The new impressive Donie Forde stand was behind me, with the PA booth and it's rows of red seats. In front of me was the Derrynane end, work was being done on it to put in new seats and the old grassy knoll of the St. Annes End on my left. This place is a f*****g dump but it's my dump, it holds memories, good and bad, cherished and hated. Murph was treated very bad, he was booted out after achieving European football, the pressure is building on the board and there's talks of them stepping down and a new fella called Brian Lennox taking over. I hope I don't wilt under the pressure

irish%20examiner.gif

Cork City today revealed manager Kevin as the man to take Cork City for the 2001-2002 season. Galvin, who briefly played with the Rebel Army in goal, is releshing the prospect of managing the team he supported as a boy. He replaces Liam Murphy after a falling out with the Board of Directors. More to follow

shefellover93 added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

I seem to be settled in now, fortunatly I havn't expierenced any real politics as of yet, but that could change in an instant. I was given 80,000 Irish pounds to spend on players this season but have yet to spend a penny. That hasn't stopped me picking up my first piece of silverware of the season, the Irish Super Cup runs every summer when all the European Cup qualifiers meet each other in a round robin format. Murph's team drew with Shels 0-0 and then I did the same against Longford, but a late late goal from Jimmy Mulligan gave me 3 points and won the the competition by a point. That was my last game of the pre-season and i can't wait for the league to start

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st July: Longford 0-0 Cork City
3rd July: Bohemians 1-2 Cork Ciy - Molloy (76) ; Mulligan (86), Cahill (31)

Irish Super Cup
1: Cork City 3-1-2-0-5
2: Bohemians: 3-1-1-1-4
3: Shelbourne: 3-1-1-1-4
4: Longford T: 3-0-2-1-2

shefellover93 added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

August/September 2001

So the league has started and I find myself mid table as expected, a dissapointing loss in the first game against Longford was followed by an excellent away win against Monaghan Utd. A home win against Shelsbourne in front of over 6,500 people and then two quick goals ensured a loss away to Rovers, that was followed by a 5 game unbeaten streak, 3 wins in the League Cup and 4 Points in the league. I'm not far off the top though and hopefully can push back into the top 3, a League Cup quarter final at home to Sligo should see me reach the semi-final of the competition, a good October would set me up nicely for the run in of 2001

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12th Aug: Cork City 1-2 Longford Town - Morely (15) ; Kirby (22), Kenny (70)
19th Aug: Monaghan United 0-3 Cork City - Morely (14), Cahill (80), Herrick (88)(P)
2nd Sep: Cork City 2-1 Shelbourne - Mulligan (8), Morely (38) ; Byrne (60)
9th Sep: Shamrock Rovers 2-0 Cork City - Grant (65, 68)
19th Sep: Waterford 0-1 Cork City - Herrick (53)
23rd Sep: Cork City 1-0 Cobh Ramblers - Morely (3)
26th Sep: Cork City 1-0 Castleview - Cahill (37)
28th Sep: St. Patricks Ath. 1-1 Cork City - Doyle (35) ; Herrick (49)

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
October 2001

A bad month for both the club and I. It started well with a win over Galway United at Turners Cross, Jimmy Mulligan and Colin O'Brien giving a lead, they got a goal back but we held out. Then an expected loss to Bohemians 2-0 at Dalymount was followed by a loss 3-2 to league leaders Bray Wanderers. Two goals by Pat Morely ensured a 2-0 win over UCD before it was back to losing, this time at the hands of Dundalk. The month was ended with a 1-0 loss to Derry City courtesy of an early goal. A piss poor month, I needed to say something, and the press glefully got their statement...

Examiner-Logo-View.jpg

Galvin Loses the Plot
Cork City manager calls on players to dramitacally raise performances.

Cork City's manager Kevin Galvin was animated during today's press confrence in the Metropole Hotel, Cork. He severly critisized the players work rate and will while ensuring the current trend will not continue

"We've been piss poor in my opinion, some players aren't even doing their shift every week. The board pay them good f****** money to play so why the f*** don't they do it? I feel embarrased to be taking control of a City team playing like this. I've told the players they can either buck up or walk out that door because to me, they're worth nothing at the moment. No offence to either Galway and UCD are teams we expect to beat, but not gaining a single point from the other games is a dohing joke. 6 out of 36 points is relegation form and unless the lads can signifigantly raise their performances we'll be playing next year in the first division."

City's next match is away against Shelbourne on the 2nd November

7th Oct: Cork City 2-1 Galway Utd. - Mulligan (12), O'Brien (49) ; O'Connor (84)
10th Oct: Bohemians 2-0 Cork City - Rutherford (7), Smyth (88)
14th Oct: Bray Wanderers 3-2 Cork City - Keegan (11), Keogh (26), James (72) ; Morely (39), Cahill (58)
21st Oct: Cork City 2-0 UCD - Morely (3, 48)
24th Oct: Cork City 0-2 Dundalk - Ward (76), McGuinness (89)
28th Oct: Derry City 1-0 Cork City - Moran (5)

Last edited:

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
CM 01/02. :hpraise

This story is bound to be legendary. Also I love these types of stories so looking forward to it immensely.

A terrible start to the season with a very poor month which you will need to put behind you. Great start mate.

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
November 2001

A much better month, this time 7 out of 12 points went our way as well as our passage into the League Cup final!
An excellent win away to Shelbourne was followed by a solid 1-1 draw against Rovers. There was dissapointment at Flancare Park where we lost 2-1 but we bounced back to beat Monaghan United 3-0 for the second time in the season.

Examiner-Logo-View.jpg

Galvin Praises Squad

What a difference a month makes! Last month Cork City manager Kevin Gavin was 'effing and blinding' giving out about the players commitment to the job and critisizing their play, but Galvin has nothing but praise for the squad this month after a turn around in fortunes which sees the club climb up to 7th in the eircom premier league table and see the club secure its place in this years eircom League Cup final
"I'm proud of the boys, I gave a lot of stick, possible too much, last month and to see them bounce back was great, of course the Longford one is the one that sticks out badly but we've scored 7 goals in 4 games which is a good record if you ask me!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Nov: Shelbourne 0-2 Cork City - Coughlan (15), Bennett (24)
7th Nov: (LCQF) Cork City 2-2 Sligo Rovers (City won 4-3 on pens AET) - CP.O'Brien (15, 45) ; Lee (34), McTiernan (70)
11th Nov: Cork City 1-1 Shamrock Rovers - O'Grady (65) ; S.Grant (8)
17th Nov: Longford 2-1 Cork City - Riordan (64), Lavine (65) ; Freyne (45)
25th Nov: Cork City 3-0 Monaghan Utd - Carey (43), O'Grady (78, 90)
28th Nov: (LCSF) Kilkenny City 0-2 Cork City - Mulligan (53), Bennett (90)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Finally hit some nice form and hopefully that can continue, better to see.

Good stuff. Perhaps a little bit more of a write up would be good though. :)

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
December 2001

The month was started with two points dropped, a 1-1 draw with Pats. Then it was to Terryland Park where I beat Galway Utd. 1-0. Then a brilliant home win against Bohemians followed by a solid 0-0 draw away to Dundalk. Overall it was a good month, I'd gained 8 points from 16 having played two of the best teams in the division. Christmas was enjoyed and I was looking forward to the year of 2009 and more success!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Dec: Cork City 1-1 St. Patrick's Athletic - Bennett (27); Quinn (74)
7th Dec: Galway Utd. 0-1 Cork City - Mulligan (53)
16th Dec: Cork City 2-0 Bohemians - O'Brien (20), O'Grady (89)
23rd Dec: Dundalk 0-0 Cork City

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
A decent month although you could of done with a win against St.Pats. A draw against Dundalk was good though and in end it was a pretty good month, like you said. Easily beat Bohemians. :)

Hopefully January can be as, or more, productive as December.

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
January 2002

January was another good month, after a poor start it seems we have our act together and starting to get this show back on the road. The month started with a poor 0-0 draw in the second round of the cup against Castlebar, but 3 days later we hammered them 3-0 so all was well in the end. Then a last minute goal snatched 4 points away from us as we lost to close rivals UCD at Belfield. Extra time was needed to dispatch of Limerick in the Munster Senior Cup. A solid home draw against Bray was our last game before the League Cup final first leg against Drogheda.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
eircom-league-logo.gif
lorte.jpg

eircom League Cup Final 2001-02 Final 1st Leg
"Hello all and welcome to the First leg of the eircom League Cup Final 2001! This year saw many shocks in the group stage, with little old Dublin City being the only qualifier from a group with league giants Shelbourne and Bohemians. Tonight sees the prospect of another upset as Leesiders Cork City take on Drogheda United! Drogheda started off this years campaign with a brilliant win away to Shamrock Rovers before beating Ballyfermot United at home to secure their place in the Quarter Finals. They then overcame another Premier side in the shape of UCD after extra time. Their last game saw them confortably overcome Dublin City 3-1 at Whitehall Stadium. They face a City side that qualified easily out of their group with a 100% record against Waterford, Cobh and Castleview. Penalties were needed to dispatch of Sligo in the Quarter finals but they cruised past Kilkenny City 2-0 in the semi's. It's sure to be a great game in prospect! Now its time to hand you down to our commentary team of George Hamilton and everyone's favourite, Roddy Collins!"
0000de6110D.jpg
_41303336_roddy_collins_203.jpg

GH: "Horrible conditions here in Cork, sleet and temperatures below zero make for difficult conditions, but you'd still fancy Cork to win this one wouldn't you Roddy"
RC: "Aww yeeee, yew no hew gud thoes Carkies rr, an' theya shuure to maunt a challinge. Bu yew woudn't wawnt tew rool ewt Drogeda eitha"
GH: "(Pause) Thanks for that Roddy for those, eh, words of inspiration. Well, we can;t be standing around forever! Time to get this one started in wet and windy Leeside!"

"Drogheda to start this one, David kelly kicks off, he passes to captain Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien, he gives it back to Gerald barry. Barry now back to Kelly, kelly elgantly controlls the ball, skins Coughlan and makes his way inside the box, the players are standing off and Kelly belts it...IT'S IN. 1-0 to Drogheda and some people haven't even taken their seats yet. We could be in for a real shock here folks!"

45 Mins: RC: "Well, Drogheda will be the happier of the two sides going into the break"
GH: "Hold on there Roddy, Cork have one more chance for an attack, Anthony Buckly now, chips a ball into Derek Coughlan on the run, he crosses in low for Alan Bennett and HE SCORES!! Just before the half Bennett ties the scores up, drafted into the senior team from the reserves by Galvin it seems Bennet is repaying him here. And there's the half time whistle, Cork City go into the changing rooms with a spring in their step."

HT: Cork City 1-1 Drogheda United

Alan Bennett (45) - David Kelly (2)

90th Min: GH:"Well, Drogheda will definatly be happy with this result, a draw away from home to Cork, unless they can muster up something here. Bennett, passes it out to the right flank and Anthony Buckley, he squares it to Colin Patrick O'Brien, he jinxes past Daniel O'Connor in the United defence, hits it with his left foot AND IT'S IN. Cork City once again score late in the half to win the game and give them that slender advantage heading into the second leg on 13th February"

Final Score: Cork City 2-1 Drogheda United
Bennett (45), CP O'Brien (90) - David Kelly (2)

That's it here from Turners Cross, until next time. Farewell
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We then drew away against our bogey team Longford Town before ending the month on a high with a win against Derry City. Overall a good month, still in every cup competition and turning our league form around, but the coming months will decide everything

---------------------------------------------------------------------

6th jan: (FAI2R) Cork City 0-0 Castlebar
9th Jan: (FAI2RR) Castlebar 0-3 Cork City - O'Grady (53), Bennett (89,90)
13th Jan: UCD 3-2 Cork City - Quinn (36, 89), O'Connor (60) ; O Grady (72), Mulligan (75)
16th Jan : (MSCQF) Cork City 1-0 Limerick (AET) - CP O'Brien (99)
20th Jan: Cork City 0-0 Bray Wanderers
27th Jan: Cork City 1-1 Longford Town - Flanagan (16) ; O'Connor (55)
30th Jan: Cork City 2-0 Derry City - O'Grady (45), CP O'Brien (90)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Good win in the Final first leg, just need to take that into the second leg. Hopefully you can turn some of those draws into victories.

Liking this story mate, keep it up.

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
February 2002

Another good month as the club moves up the table bit by bit, games in hand seem to be playing a big part this season and with a game in hand on most of my rivals it'll be a big game that I have to play. A good win over Dublin City in the FAI Cup was followed by a routine 4 goal win over Monaghan. The it was to the second leg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sport_bigger.jpg

"Welcome to this, the second leg of the eircom League Cup final between Cork City and Drogheda United! The sides resume here at a wet and windy United park to resume their tie after City won 2-1 in the 1st leg a fortnight ago at Turners Cross. Alan Bennet scored the first of those at the Cross and he's talking to Tony O'Donoghue

0,,10421~5347093,00.jpg

TO'D: So Alan, it's a big night tonight, City have the advantage going into the game, how much of a difference does that make?
AB: I really don't think it makes a hige difference Tony to be honest. I mean home advantage is a huge advantage, you saw how amazing our supporters were and although I'm sure we'll bring a huge travelling support, it's never the same away from home

We now go to George and Roddy for commentary, guys..

end_of_album
_44501708_roddycollins203i.jpg

GH: Yes, another horrible day for these poor players to have to play in, City have the advantage after the last game so will the weather favour the leesiders again Roddy?
RC: Ah well, I wouldn't say that. I mean Caark aren't great in any weather, the last game was a fluke and really the only team that can win it is Bohemians
GH: The other team is Drogheda Roddy?
RC: Oh yeah, just missing Dalyer so much I suppose George! (Laughs)
GH: Quite, now to the game!

26th min: GH: Dan O'Connor now, skips past Napier, he runs down the wing, reaches the goalline. The ball's been put in for the onrushing Declan O'Brien who HAS STUCK IT INTO THE BACK OF THE NET. It's 1-0 here and the scores are level in the league cup final! We have a game on our hands now folks

37th min: GH: The game seems to have died down somewhat, the goalscorer O'Brien will be hoping to change that, he chips the ball to Padraig Gollogley who nods it on to Mullen. He plays the ball into the area, there's a cramble as Cork to try but Robbie Coyle collects the ball, he hits it high and INTO THE BACK OF THE NET! The game has really turned on its head, in the space of 10 minutes or so Drogheda have swung the Cup final back in their favour
RC: I told you those Corkies were shite, where's me brolly!

HT: [big]Drogheda United 2-0 (3-2) Cork City
O'Brien (26), Coyle (37)

87th min: Flares being light off and chants heatily sung around United Park, surely they have the cup now. Colin Patrick O'Brien now for Cork City, he beats Eoin Mullen, through in on goal! Surely he just score and YES! The ball nestles into the bottom of the net and the scores are level.

90th min: Corner here now by Drogheda, surely the last throw of the dice, and it's cleared by Napier. Referee Alan Kelly blows it up, the match goes to extra time!

101st in: Pat Morely now on the ball, he passes to Colin P O'Brien, O'Bien turns and finds Caulfield on his right. Caulfield bursts into the box and shoots! IT HITS THE POST!! So close for Cork City, the ball bounces clear but Davin Finnegan clears up!

120 min: And so the match goes to penalties, peno's after the break!
[flash=250,210]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkQeX31eyc[/flash]

And so now to penalties, what way do you think this will turn Roddy
RC: Well, Drogheda is closer to Dayler then Cork so I'm hoping for a Drogheda win[/i]

The first penalty taker will be Evan Creedon, he steps up AND SCORES!! 1-0
Now it's Kelvin Flanagan, he steps up. 1-1!
Now Dominic Tierney and he makes no mistake! 2-1
The goalscorer Colin P O'Brien now, BUT IT'S SAVED! Still 2-1
Daniel O'Connor now and it's 3-1!
John Caulfield now and HE MISSES!!
Eoin Mullen now, all he has to do is score and Drogheda have won the cup! HE DOES SO. DROGHEDA WIN THEIR FIRST EVER SENIOR TROPHY. THEY ARE THE LEAGUE CUP CHAMPIONS OF 2001-02!!!

FT:
Drogheda United 2-1 Cork City (Drogheda win 4-1 on penalties AET)
Declan O'Brien (26), Robbie Coyle (37) - Colin Patrick O'Brien (87)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

So we painfully lost the cup, and a poor 1-1 draw showed the hangover, but we soon put things right! A brilliant 3-0 away win at Shamrock Rovers was the tonic we needed to end the month
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd Feb: (FAIC3R) Cork City 2-0 Dublin City - Buckley 43, CP O'Brien (59)
10th Feb: Monaghan United 0-4 Cork City - CP O'Brien (24, 69), Flanagan (35p), Cahill (45)
17th Feb: Cork City 1-1 Shelbourne - CP O'Brien (42) ; Geoghegan (28)
24th Feb: Shamrock Rovers 0-3 Cork City - O'Grady (9, 56p), Buckley (70)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Three good wins in the month and a draw against Shelbourne isn't too bad. Unlucky in the final mate.

Good presentation, mate. :)

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
March 2002

Another good month sees us move up to title contention and another Cup Final! Wouldn't have seen that at the start of the season. We started with the FAI Cup and at a cold and miserable Showgrounds we ground out a 1-0 win to see us through to the semi-final. Our title challenge really kicked off on the 10th with a 2-0 win at home to Dundalk. We were embarrassed and knocked out of the Munster Senior Cup by Waterford before drawing 0-0 away to Bohs. We dropped 2 points away to Pats but an excellent 2-0 home win sees us back on track. Our last game of the month saw us overcome Athlone Town 2-1 away to bring us to the blue ribband event of Irish football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Mar: (FAICQF) Sligo Rovers 0-1 Cork City - Flanagan (40)
10th Mar: Cork City 2-0 Dundalk - CP O'Brien (60), Buckley (85)
13th Mar: (MSCSF) Waterford Utd 1-0 Cork City - Watson (37)
15th Mar: Bohemians 0-0 Cork City
20th Mar: St. Patricks Ath 2-2 Cork City - Harris (16), O'Keefe (24) ; CP O'Brien (26, 28)
24th Mar: Cork City 2-0 UCD - Flanagan (15,81)
31st Mar: (FAICSF) Athlone Town 1-2 Cork City - Dowling (68) ; Bennett (20), CP O'Brien (25)

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully you can actually win this Cup Final. ;)

Decent month but your away record this omnhth wasn't the best, with you failing to win away in the league. Something to improve. As long as you're around the top, all is well.

Great stuff, mate.

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
April 2002 (1)

The most important month of my managing career so far started in Derry where I won 2-1 thanks to Alan bennett and Colin O'Brien. Left winger Ollie Cahill injured himself just before the Galway game and so I had to draft in 20 year old Anthony Tynan from the reserves to fill the gap. What a move that was! Tyana scored twice in a 2-1 win over Galway at home, the second coming 10 minutes from time. That left me 3 points behind Bray and one in front of Dundalk with a game to play. I had superior goal difference over both of them and my final match away to Bray. Draw or lose and I could go down to third, win and I was league champions. In my next two games I had the chance to win two trophies.

What will happen?

3rd Apr: Derry City 1-2 Cork City - Moran (34) ; Bennett (31), O'Brien (67)
7th Apr: Cork City 2-1 Galway Utd - Tynan (28, 81) ; Carberry (51)

Users who are viewing this thread