Collingwood named new England One-Day Captain

This means lots of good news for England. I don't know how effective Vaughan was as an ODI captain, but the ability to play an extra batsman should help immensely.

This means lots of good news for England. I don't know how effective Vaughan was as an ODI captain, but the ability to play an extra batsman should help immensely.

i think that the way you said "extra batsmen" showed the his in ability to play in OD matches, and how he has cost his side on many numerous occasions. I would like to see Alastair Cook in the team he isnt as slow at scoring as people think and it would help his batting overall by facing international bowlers for many years to come therefore developing him into a more all round opener who can apply himself to the situation nessacery

If Flintoff was fit, he may well have been in the race to be the ODI captain. He would probably have got it as well. That would have been the wrong decision, a man who isn't stable in himself, injury prone and a headline hogger, should never be considered.

Collingwood for captain; No brainer really. He's been England's best ODI player for a good few years now.

Really ? Pietersen is rated as the top Odi batsman in the world, consistently performs well with a really good average, of 56, has started hitting consistent hudreds with 2 in the world cup. I'm not doubting Collingwood's ability but to say hes been our best player isnt true i dont feel. He only averages 34 with the bat and 37 with the ball, but he is an amazing fielder. Both are immensely talented but in terms of best ODI player, its a no brainer for me, Kp takes it easily.

K.P is our best ODI player, but the pressure of captaincy could take some of that away I feel. We saw how Andrew Flintoff's performances dropped dramatically when he was captain. I certainly don't want that to happen to KP.

Hopefully the pressure of captaincy been taken off his shoulders will make him bat better and finally score the maiden ODI hundred.

There is no need to keep him in the ODI side now. His captaincy was the only thing that was keeping him in the side. Wouldn't be surprised if the English selectors still picked him though.

Give it to Pietersen. I think it'll make him stronger & make him a better player. Batsman make the best captains. Collingwood just doesn't strike me as a leader of England but just a good contributor.

Collingwood just doesn't strike me as a leader of England but just a good contributor.

The same could have been said of Vaughan before he took over captaincy from Nasser. He went onto become England's all time best test captain.

Anyways I think Collingwood shows a lot of responsibility when he is playing. He plays according to the situation. Both of which make him the out and out favourite for captaincy. Besides its not necessary that your best player will be the best captain.

The same could have been said of Vaughan before he took over captaincy from Nasser. He went onto become England's all time best test captain.

Anyways I think Collingwood shows a lot of responsibility when he is playing. He plays according to the situation. Both of which make him the out and out favourite for captaincy. Besides its not necessary that your best player will be the best captain.
Finally someone says it. Guys there is more to being a good captain than being a good player. If you don't believe me then have a look at Flintoff's reign as captain. My question is, has Collingwood even captained his county side? I know Pietersen isn't even vice captain at Hampshire. The captain selected should be the best captain, not one who is a good ODI player (though obviously it will be a good enough player to make the side).

i think that the way you said "extra batsmen" showed the his in ability to play in OD matches, and how he has cost his side on many numerous occasions. I would like to see Alastair Cook in the team he isnt as slow at scoring as people think and it would help his batting overall by facing international bowlers for many years to come therefore developing him into a more all round opener who can apply himself to the situation nessacery

Oh god no, not more people saying Cook for the one day team! He has scored one domestic one day hundred and only just averages 30. Heck he isn't even a regular one day player for Essex! It would be Michael Vaughan mark 2.

We should be picking Trott who averages 40 in one day matches and player of his ilk, not good test players.

Brilliant descion i just hope he isnt in the team anymore

Common sense would dictate not, if Vaughan does play then he is captain. Colly for captain, KP would be a bit of a risky choice. I'd rather we didn't try and interrupt what he does too much though.

Oh god no, not more people saying Cook for the one day team! He has scored one domestic one day hundred and only just averages 30. Heck he isn't even a regular one day player for Essex! It would be Michael Vaughan mark 2.

We should be picking Trott who averages 40 in one day matches and player of his ilk, not good test players.

Alastair Cook is one of the most talented young batsmen in the world, he should be playing both forms when he's as talented as he is. More recently if Cook is available for an Essex OD game then he plays, you're right, but it stopped once they realised how good he is.

Cook can and should play ODI cricket.

I'm expecting many changes on Friday, I'm excited!

Last edited:

The theory behind this post is a good'un - that being, selecting players who know how to play one day cricket when picking the *shock horror* one day team. However I think you are being harsh on Cook - and you need to look past his overall statistics. He has improved immensely as a batsman overall in the last few years, and his List A record only stands as it is because he had a bad start in that format and hasn't played enough games since his improvement to change his overall record.

And before you just think I'm making it up based on his test performances, that's clearly not the case. He averages 44.5 with the bat in List A cricket this season and he averaged a whopping 76 in List A cricket last season.

His marked improvement in his batting is evident - he just hasn't played enough List A matches since it occurred for it to have a significant effect on his List A record due to the amount of games he's missed due to being in the test squad.

Users who are viewing this thread