Collingwood named new England One-Day Captain

Cook's young and talented enough to be able to learn the OD game whilst he plays it. If we hadn't of picked Cook there isn't an opener in the Country who's name jumps out at me.

Cook's young and talented enough to be able to learn the OD game whilst he plays it. If we hadn't of picked Cook there isn't an opener in the Country who's name jumps out at me.
You could have said the same thing about Vaughan many years ago though, is the point.

I agree with Cook's selection, but not on the basis of "Oh he's talented, he'll learn" but on the basis of him improving his one day batting significantly over the last few seasons. Pretty much everyone who makes it to first class level is talented - but talent will only get you that far.. application, consistency and, most importantly for one day batting, match awareness, take players through the rest of their journey. And, even aside from that, if you're only talented at putting bad balls for four, then you'll fail at one day cricket due to the strike rotation requirements to keep your score ticking along.

Essentially, I do agree with the Cook selection, however not based on the same means as most, evidently.

Well, I cannot believe that your saying Cook might not have the application when you have seen his rise into County then Test Cricket.

He is the most level headed youngster I have seen in years. He has a great amount of talent, apllication and a very good temperment. All his peers in the game have reffered to him as having an old head on young shoulders.

Well, I cannot believe that your saying Cook might not have the application when you have seen his rise into County then Test Cricket.

He is the most level headed youngster I have seen in years. He has a great amount of talent, apllication and a very good temperment. All his peers in the game have reffered to him as having an old head on young shoulders.
I never said he didn't have the application - in fact I said I was in favour of his selection.

However, I am not in favour of it because "he's talented" because while it may be true in a general sense, it often amounts to naught. The fact of the matter is, if he still averaged 25 odd in List A cricket over the last two seasons, he would have been a dire selection - however, he has seemingly improved markedly given his List A stats in the last two seasons and hence he is a good selection.

Selecting someone in the ODI team based on test performances because they look talented is one of the stupidest mistakes that is made repeatedly by national selectors. It's actually not the case with Cook at the moment (although it was when he was first picked..) and hence he's quite a good pick.

A young player as good as Cook should always be considered. You can't really discount Cook on statistic, the weakness in his record is based on his first 15 matches. Any perceived weakness must be weighed against the value of building a career player out of the toughest experience possible. At 22, if he is not yet a skillful one day player, he can be made into one. Furthermore, if he continues to miss county matches by being selected for tests, you damage his development as a one day player by not selecting him for ODIs.

Collingwood's selection is a very good and supremely obvious one. He can be inspiring in the field and is clearly mentally tough (I don't think much of the "added pressure" of captaincy, players who can't consistently deliver under maximum pressure are of no value against the best teams). He can use his head in either defensive or attacking situations and is rarely, if ever, guilty of not doing the team thing, as his numerous late wicket batting records attest to.

He may not be the most talented or flashy batsman (though he is in the field), but he is certainly one of England's most important assets and it is surprising how many don't believe that.

At 22, if he is not yet a skillful one day player, he can be made into one.

ODI cricket is not the correct medium for that though. Evidently though, he is a skillfull one day player as can be judged by his List A performances in the last two seasons.

Right man for this job IMO, coz I've seen him play good against Australia many times, in 2006/07.

Right man for this job IMO, coz I've seen him play good against Australia many times, in 2006/07.

Just because he played well against Australia he is right for the job?

Hmmm, i think you need to look at the aspects like how he can get a confidence drained side out of the gutter and challanging....also how his brain works, does he know enough.

I'd like to see KP on day in charge of the ODI side, and Cook in charge of the Test side in my dream world, but both are too young.

Collingwood is the correct man for the job at the minute! Good choice, and good selection, hope he can get the boys playing well! For Englands sake.

ODI cricket is not the correct medium for that though. Evidently though, he is a skillfull one day player as can be judged by his List A performances in the last two seasons.

Exactly - people complained when we had Plunkett, Mahmood, etc in the one day team and having them learn the ropes their rather then in County Cricket. Although I appreciate he has improved his one day form, he has only played 28 (IIRC) one day games and so does not deserve selection.

That said... I think he would be better then some of the less 'cultured' batsmen suggested, aka Maddy.

Although I appreciate he has improved his one day form, he has only played 28 (IIRC) one day games and so does not deserve selection.

Don't mix up the development of players like Mahmood with players like Cook. The latter is one who will learn whilst playing at the top level, he has a good cricket brain and knows his game too imo.

Also, only 28? That's quite a few games, admittedly not alot, but if you wait for say 60-70 you may have wasted 3 years of him. Also on the lack of games, some of the best batsman around didn't play many games before being picked for their country.

Very good selection as captain. He puts his heart and soul into every game which you can see from the grit and determination he displays when he is batting to his fielding where he is always trying to prevent the quick single or pull of that amazing catch. Definitely one that should be able to inspire the English and also set good field placement seeing as he is a bowler himself.

Collingwood, as I said leading up to this selection, is apart for Pietersen is the only player who is 100% sure of his own game and his determination and knowlege can help England to win games of ODI cricket.

Don't mix up the development of players like Mahmood with players like Cook. The latter is one who will learn whilst playing at the top level, he has a good cricket brain and knows his game too imo.

Also, only 28? That's quite a few games, admittedly not alot, but if you wait for say 60-70 you may have wasted 3 years of him. Also on the lack of games, some of the best batsman around didn't play many games before being picked for their country.

The bottom line is you don't pick players who haven't proven themselves in domestic one-day cricket. (This also applies to Monty) In picking Cook, Moores is ignoring the county system which contradicts what everyone has been saying.

However out of all the players with below par one day averages, he would be the one to pick, though I'd prefer if we only picked people who were proven.

Another reason I wouldn't pick him is because he isn't the aggressive batsman - the boundary hitter - that we need at the top of the innings. I accept that he can score quickly, but he hasn't got the aggression we need in the powerplays. We need two aggressive openers and then a middle order of Pietersen, Trott, Colly, Bell etc will suffice.

I like the call up of Trott. England need a player like him. He has talent, has played quite a bit of cricket for our domestic season over here. Aggressive Allrounder. Just what they lack with Flintoff out.

Users who are viewing this thread