Commonwealth Bank Series

I was assuming Vaughan would be fit, but if KP came back it would be a choice between him and Loye, which is a no brainer. I said about Bell opening in an earlier post, as he tends to put away the really bad balls. Unlike today when he hit the fielders so many times and gave it away really. Bell isn't too much of a one dayer player in my view though.

MUFC1987 said:
As someone else had probably said, in this England team, the WK is not important at the moment. Nixon, Read and Jones are all more than capable with the gloves and batting at 8 it shouldn't be an issue batting wise unless we collapse and need a rescue mission.

Bring back Alec Stewart :p

Evertonfan - Read is probably better than Nixon, however, one major flaw for Read. He's scared of pace. He backs away from the sharp bowlers, Nixon doesn't. Personally I think we should stick with Nixon for the World Cup now. Don't change it again please!!!

Nixon doesn't, but proceeds to miss the ball.

I agree though JJ3, stick to him for now, no point in changing.

I've made my choice for the keeping position clear before now and I'll stick to it.

Leicester Fox said:
with the bat he isn't but he was very good with the gloves togay. quality catch off Fleming. He can't play pace though. Maybe Plunkett should come out against pace and him against spin ;)

He wasn't that good with the gloves, dropped a difficult chance off Colly when Fleming was still earlyish in his innings, so considered his scoring rate I guess he helped win the match for us :p

That's the sort of chance by the way though that Read snaffles on a regular basis playing for Notts with their army of medium pacers, all fairly similar to Collys style of straight up and down bowling.

They had a sky sports classics on the other day, and Read hit 50 odd off about 20 balls to win a game for Notts, he may be unauthordox at times, but he can bat, and with the current batting lineup allowing him to possible come in at 8, I feel he had to be given a go. Gotta feel for the lad really, at every juncture Fletcher has basically told him, "I don't think you're good enough." He only earned his reselection against Pakistan because there was a selection committee in charge, and then against Australia because Jones was beyond bad and bordering on village.

theres no point in changing before the world cup. Read won't do any better with the bat and hasn't done since he was recalled. Theres no doubt whos the better keeper but we really can't afford to change our team again before the world cup.

I actually agree Joe, they may as well now stick with Nixon through the world cup, but I feel for Read, as for both series he's been dropped and effectively told "you'll never play for England with me in charge" by Fletch.

Without Fletchers politics and a run in the side i believe that Read could have had been as good as McCullum.

Leicester Fox said:
Without Fletchers politics and a run in the side i believe that Read could have had been as good as McCullum.

I think that's stretching it a tad :p But I do believe he could have been better than Nixon, Jones and most other candidates, with only really Prior and Batty, perhaps Foster, and maybe one day Davies actually any better with the bat in hand.

OMG, what a shame, I have just checked the scorecard. Evertonfan and Leicester Fox both would be singing on the moon right now. Fleming should've batted with more fluency in the middle and Styris also failed when it mattered most. Ah well as they say, how low can you sink. Well, English have done that and its way up from now on, could be interesting finals with Flintoff due with the bat.

evertonfan said:
What is your problem with me exactly?
Lol, what problem, I am countering your Vaughn is better than Fleming arguement :p besides the fact that I am NZ cricket fan.

siddharth2002 said:
Lol, what problem, I am countering your Vaughn is better than Fleming arguement :p besides the fact that I am NZ cricket fan.

Ah that's fine. It was only in terms of captaincy anyway. ;)

Yeah, in terms of captaincy Vaughn motivates his team better than anyone, Ricky Ponting included.

Users who are viewing this thread