Commonwealth Bank Series

First things first, Stuart Broad won't play unless Mahmood or Plunkett gets injured. He's been called up as backup, not to suddenly turn in a match winning performance.

It's good that we've called up somebody young, rather than an old hand. This does beg the question that if the selectors wanted Gough to play in the WC, why not call him up if he's in Oz anyway. Which to me says they don't want him for the WC which is good news.

Good to see we're objective as ever on these boards. I say that we can beat Australia if we play well and put them under pressure, yet I get met with 'No you won't, England are rubbish/poor/etc.' I seem to remember the same thing being said a week ago when I was told we had no chance to reach the finals, even though I was saying it's possible.

It's great that an injury ravaged side like us has been able to hang with two of the best ODI teams in the world, with one injury each keeping them away from their first choice XI.

Broad will play unless we win the second finals match imo. if we win the first we will lose the second so they will probably give him a game in the third. if we lose the first then they will probably give him a game.

John Adams said:
Yes I do! I wish each year I could fly to England for their season, then fly back here for ours.

I envy you.

:D

I enjoy watching England play every month but it takes its toll (not on me, the players).

IIRC England have played in each month since January last year.

Our tour of India was Feb 20th(ish, 2006) to about mid April. We then had Sri Lanka in May and June, Pakistan in July, August and September. CT in October. Australia tour November - Feb. WC in March and April. WIndies in May, June and July. India in July, August and September. 20-20 WC in September also. October a month off! Then we go to SL November, December and January 2008. New Zealand in Feb, March and April. New Zealand come here after our tour of theirs and that's in May and June. RSA in July, August and September. Champions trophy in September again. October off! England in India November and December. January off, we go to the WIndies in Feb and March of 2009. Then a month off before our summer of 2009 starts.

Try telling me we don't play too much Cricket.

And include the cricket prior to the tour of India last year. Pakistan series, Ashes, etc.

Ridiculous isn't it?

--------

I'd be amazed if Broad does play, it's better to be safe than sorry though as we don't really have much cover do we?

I'm so glad we didn't go back to Gough.

Last edited:
because if we lose the first then it means our bowlers will have done rubbish so we might as well give someone else a chance

Leicester Fox said:
because if we lose the first then it means our bowlers will have done rubbish so we might as well give someone else a chance

If we lose it means our bowlers have done rubbish? Where are you getting this stuff from...

And they are unlikely to change the team unless completely neccessary (ie, an injury)

well they won't neccesarily have done rubbish but it's likely and theres not much point flying Broad out to Australia to use him as back up.If we just wanted back up then we might as well have used Gough

English batting collapses don't happen after a good performance by our bowlers then Joe? ;)

Leicester Fox said:
well they won't neccesarily have done rubbish but it's likely and theres not much point flying Broad out to Australia to use him as back up.If we just wanted back up then we might as well have used Gough

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Ofcourse they flew him out for backup. He was in India, Gough was in England. There would be no point in flying out Gough.

fair enough i took back that statement!

Gough was in Australia playing beach cricket i think

Sureshot said:
:D

I enjoy watching England play every month but it takes its toll (not on me, the players).

IIRC England have played in each month since January last year.

Our tour of India was Feb 20th(ish, 2006) to about mid April. We then had Sri Lanka in May and June, Pakistan in July, August and September. CT in October. Australia tour November - Feb. WC in March and April. WIndies in May, June and July. India in July, August and September. 20-20 WC in September also. October a month off! Then we go to SL November, December and January 2008. New Zealand in Feb, March and April. New Zealand come here after our tour of theirs and that's in May and June. RSA in July, August and September. Champions trophy in September again. October off! England in India November and December. January off we go to the WIndies in Feb and March of 2008. Then a month off before our summer of 2008 starts.

You've got some of the last dates wrong which could confuse a few people :p.

symonds_sixes said:
Does anyone else get sad when the international season is over? It probably won't be so bad this year because the WC is coming up next month.

Still going on for me with the C/H series after this one :p

Users who are viewing this thread