Commonwealth Bank Series

I don't actually think Cam White's bowling is all that bad. Sure he may have been expensive against Pietersen but so was Warne in the Tests. Besides, i'm sure you'd love to have White over Giles wouldn't you?

Warne at least looks like getting KP, White I can't see doing the same. Once the batters get use to him they can take him apart. In domestic hes gets taken apart most times so what hope does he have in the big stage.

evertonfan said:
I don't actually think Cam White's bowling is all that bad. Sure he may have been expensive against Pietersen but so was Warne in the Tests. Besides, i'm sure you'd love to have White over Giles wouldn't you?

Cam White got about as much turn tbh.

sifter132 said:
6. Advice for NZ - Play 2 spinners and use Astle. Assuming the pitch is slowish of course, but I think Australia generally don't score as well against the slower bowlers and whether you use them early to break the openers up or just in the middle to tie down I think they will concede less runs than if they bowl 40 overs of pace. Hopefully Vettori and Bond can add to that by picking up some wickets and if that happens Aussies won't beat 250 probably. Sri Lanka usually has a plethora of spinners and I feel we usually don't score as well against them as we do against other sides. Its just lucky the SL batsmen can't handle our bowlers as well or they might beat us a bit more often.

Good post, and I agree with you. I hope we use our two spinners. With no Oram and Mills I would rather we used the spinner then Adams, who is obviously not good enough to do well against the Aussies.

My XI

McCullum
Astle
Taylor
Fleming
Fulton
McMillan
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie
Patel

That, in my opinion, is our best eleven players we can currently field from the squad.

I would perfer Astle opening over Fleming. Fleming has shown some problems with Vaas, so McGrath will be able to expose the same problems. He is usually out LBW. He is better off comming in when the ball at least isn't swinging so much. The left-right combo is tempting but the decision shouldn't be made based on it. If Fleming happened to come in later in the powerplays, he would perhaps be there for when the spinner start and he is our best player of spin. Fulton and McMillan have performed better then Marshall. One of these could come out for him if they don't perform.

The only problem with using two spinners, is that if a paceman gets stick during the powerplays, you need to bowl a medium pacer or spinner inside them. Astle and McMillan can bowl some medium pace so there is good options.

I'd open with Fleming instead to be honest. Although Astle and McCullum opening does hav runs written all over it.

Bond shouldn't get much stick and Franklin should be useful in Hobart with movement around. If Franklin can't go well in these conditions he doesn't have much hope for the rest of this series.
Astle medium pacers are more than handy if needed, hes usually quite hard to get away.

Congrats to Australia on winning this ODI Series aswell as the Ashes befor :p........Im serious!

Anyone want to bet me their modoration place?

Last edited:
Sadly, I can't see Australia losing in this series either.... prove me wrong NZ!!!

no, england will not be beating us

owais shah should be the obvious replacement
but the ecb are competing with the pcb for blunders of the year

another thing is that aussies are being made to look alot more unbeatable than they actually are by englands performances

will be an interesting game between aussies and nz

Last edited:
How about England go home it doesnt make a difference if the played ODI's all year still lose the WC......KP the one guy who they could rely on who South African to and hes gone, I have a feeling it may be the start of bad form from WC onwards it could have an affect on him :(

You don't have to play Clarke at 4. Just slot Watson in there at 4 when he returns & drop Clarke down to number 5 or 6 and he'll do as equally good.
I was dissapointed with Hayden. He had the perfect chance just to compile a score of 80-90 not out & set the tone for the rest of his ODI series but he went down the pitch to the wrong ball when he could've really held back and cut it through point & probably get a boundry of it anyway. Now he'll have to do it the hard way. Bond & Mills might cause him some problems.
Cameron White will probably be rested for tomorrow as his probably needed in the domestic Twenty20 final.

wfdu_ben91 said:
You don't have to play Clarke at 4. Just slot Watson in there at 4 when he returns & drop Clarke down to number 5 or 6 and he'll do as equally good.
I was dissapointed with Hayden. He had the perfect chance just to compile a score of 80-90 not out & set the tone for the rest of his ODI series but he went down the pitch to the wrong ball when he could've really held back and cut it through point & probably get a boundry of it anyway. Now he'll have to do it the hard way. Bond & Mills might cause him some problems.
Cameron White will probably be rested for tomorrow as his probably needed in the domestic Twenty20 final.

All depends on the form of Hayden as to what our lineup will look like. I like Clarke at 4 though as it gives him enough time to build an inns.

Hopefully we bat first as that should give White a chance to show his finishing potential in ODIs.

wfdu_ben91 said:
I wasn't trying to make any point. I was just merely replying to you're post.
well it seems to me that you posted saying england have to bowl and bat better, I would like to thank you very much for that observation! :cool:

irottev said:
Good post, and I agree with you. I hope we use our two spinners. With no Oram and Mills I would rather we used the spinner then Adams, who is obviously not good enough to do well against the Aussies.

My XI

McCullum
Astle
Taylor
Fleming
Fulton
McMillan
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie
Patel

That, in my opinion, is our best eleven players we can currently field from the squad.

That's a good bowling team, but I don't think they have enough batting. Vettori is pretty good now, but in tours past he's batted at #9 and has played some useful innings there due to the lack of quality in the top order. In other words, they need to stiffen it up!! The other thing that worries me is McCullum at the top. His record last year was really poor (avg of 15 in 2006).

For that reason I think they need to play Marshall instead of Franklin or Gillespie to lengthen their batting and maybe find a better partner for Astle so McCullum can play at 7. He was awesome down the order when NZ chased 340 odd against the Aussies a couple of years ago.

Maybe Fleming is not the answer if he is a better player of spin, who else could open? If they have no one else I guess McCullum will have to do, but I'm forecasting a lot of low scores for him.

Users who are viewing this thread