Commonwealth Bank Series

Well. Who do England chose to replace Pietersen? Do they chose Alistair Cook, Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki or Michael Yardy, all of whom have played ODIs in the last 12 months? Do they chose Mal Loye, widely regarded as one of the best one-day batsmen in England and currently match fit due to playing New Zealand state cricket?

No, they've chosen Ravi Bopara.

Oh for God's sake England! What kind of logic do these people base their decisions on?

If this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

"Ravi has been brought in because he is a middle order batsman who impressed in his time with the Academy in Perth earlier in the winter," England chairman of selectoes David Graveney said in a statement.

"He has also been a regular with Essex during their one-day successes in recent years and we decided that he was the best option available.

"We are happy with the top order of Strauss, Vaughan and Bell and we also see the injury to Kevin Pietersen, while unfortunate, as offering a great chance for Ed Joyce to stake his claim for a place in the ICC World Cup."

Link

Interesting how England selectors are already thinking of the World Cup and thinking about putting Bopara in the team :p

Last edited:
Perhaps, just perhaps, England had stolen a couple of early wickets yesterday instead of being witness of the Gilchrist slogathon, there may have been half a chance for a win. Yet, in their own, expected, unique way, they cock it up as usual. That ongoing bet that England won't win a single match on this tour is looking like a tasty earner now.

On the plus side, nice to see Michael Vaughan back. I've only managed to see him in the Twenty20 up 'till now, but even then a couple of shots he played looked like his old self. Good to have you back, Vaughany. Now give those excuses for cricketers a good kick up the jacksie and win a bloody game!!

I don't understand how they can drag Cook along with the test squad but not the odi squad. Either he's a good young talent or he's not, there's no half good. Also seems a waste in terms of this current tour, play him in then throw him out (could also be said of Hoggard, mind you).

Obviously Joyce will move into the team with KP gone, so this selection is a bit of a non-event. England's selectors would already have accepted defeat in every match of the series and opting for an untried youngster fits in with these plans.

I remember Joyce from the Twenty20 game. He wasn't strong enough to hit over the top, he must be a strokemaker or something. I would've Cook a chance or this Malloye guy if his considered the best OD player in England.

langerrox said:
well it seems to me that you posted saying england have to bowl and bat better, I would like to thank you very much for that observation!
No problem buddy.

It's Mal Loye not Malloye. ;)

Really should have been called up because he could have opened and took advantage of the fielding restrictions. Something which our current players seem incapable of doing.

evertonfan said:
It's Mal Loye not Malloye. ;)

Really should have been called up because he could have opened and took advantage of the fielding restrictions. Something which our current players seem incapable of doing.
no I'm positive its malloye matt...

I wouldn't even touch joyce with a ten foot pole, bring on shah.

Australia won the toss and are batting. Hilfy is in, what a great occasion for him, McGrath has been rested.
Not a good start by NZ a wide to start this series :)

Australia already off to a flyer. Ominous signs for New Zealand although there is some swing out there and the ball is carying through nicely.

This is exactly what Franklin needs but he has to put it in the right place or else there will be trouble like that first over.

starting off with a wide is fast becoming a norm these days, both in tests and ODIs. Good start by Aussies

no offence to New Zealnad but i hope you get absolutely hammered and then people will realise England aren't that bad Australia are just another class.

Shane Bond really is brilliant. I love it when I get to see him play and it's such a shame that his career has been somewhat ruined by dreadful luck with injuries.

Leicester Fox said:
no offence to New Zealnad but i hope you get absolutely hammered and then people will realise England aren't that bad Australia are just another class.

But England are that bad. Australia are a class above the rest but they were made to look better than they were in the first ODI and the majority of the Tests. They are beatable, but not by the shambolic England ODI side who quite frankly would struggle to beat Bangladesh at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread