Computer's Dead...

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
have you tried starting the computer in safe mode?
switch on your comp... after the initial bios screen, (and before the windows logo comes up), press F8 ( u might have to press it a no. of times).
an advance booting options screen will come.. select safe mode and press enter. See if the computer boots up...
if it shows the error again, u may try 'Last Known Good Configuration', also to be found on the advance booting options screen...

he is getting the message NTLDR missing in which case you wont be able to boot into safe mode.

You can try to use a windows 2000 bootable floppy disk.
Then copy the files Ntldr, Ntdetect.com from the floppy disk to the windows partition.

Last edited:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
This is what happens when I on the cpu, big writing of COMPAQ comes up and then it goes to that message :(

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
try using a bootable disk from this site
It must contain the missing files, just copy them to the windows partition

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Umm how and how do I use the things from that site theres like 100 links?

Sorry for being such a dumby but I just want to know the best way of doing it....thanks for the help so far!

And do remember guys I can't get into the PC...

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Download this file.
The zip archive contains 3 files NTLDR, Boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM
Put them in a floppy disk and boot using the floppy drive (you may need to change the bios settings for it) and then copy them over to your windows drive. If your windows drive is'nt C: then you may need to modify the boot.ini file.

that site looks illeagle. :/
It may be illeagle but it isnt illegal.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
is it a sick bird then?

(sorry)

I dont think its Illegal, obviously to use an operating system that you dont have a licence for is illegal but he has a valid licence if he purchased his system from a reputable vendor.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
My advice, its about time that you (Punk Sk8r!) took this machine to a Computer shop or, give an IT person a call. Your hard-drive seems to have acquired bad sectors by the looks of it because you cannot run recovery cds anymore.
@Kev, recovery cds are slight different from OEM install discs in the sense that they contain the complete fully activated OS and the applications in image or folder or anything, depends on the manufacturer. Its kinda one-click solution to re-build a machine to factory settings.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I got all the stuff for my pc legit..

Anyway AbBh cant I burn that stuff to a blank CD or does it have to be a floppy disk?

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
It wont work from a CD, you need to copy those files to a floppy disk.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Okay so just to get it straight, I put them 3 things on a FD and then start up the computer and then what?

Does it fix the problem and will I get back into the PC if so what then?

Thanks again.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Yeah you put these files in a Floppy and then boot using it. Then it should start Windows XP for you. Then you can copy the files from the floppy to the C: drive. That should fix the problem.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Okay thanks a lot AbBh you've been a big help I'll tell you guys how it goes when I get hold of some floppy's tommorow.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
My advice, its about time that you (Punk Sk8r!) took this machine to a Computer shop or, give an IT person a call. Your hard-drive seems to have acquired bad sectors by the looks of it because you cannot run recovery cds anymore.
what siddharth said is highly probable.Seems your primary HDD has got bad sectors, since u can't even run recovery CD's. i don't think even copying these files is gonna help, unless u are lucky boy. :)

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Those files are used to boot into a otherwise healthy XP when your startup files are bad, missing, corrupted, or the MBR is damaged.
I read the 1st post and it seems that there might be a problem with your RAM. Burn this image to CD and test your RAM. You need to boot using the CD. If the RAM is fine then the floppy disk method should work.

Users who are viewing this thread