Connecting laptop to router problem.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Okay so for ages I've been connecting my laptop and Xbox to my router which is connected to my PC, and it's all been working fine. But then i was suspicious neighbours were stealing my bandwidth as my downloads were abnormally high. So i set up WPA (or WEP, i forget) which then makes it a secure network where wireless devices then have to enter a key code. My xbox worked fine, but my laptop can't connect now.

It asked for the key and i entered it in correctly but it still didnt work. It would then display on my laptop "limited or no connection" and half the time it would spend time verifying but then fail.:facepalm

Any ideas?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
limited or no connection

Disconnecting from network and then connecting again solves this issue for me.

scion_sid added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I assume you have Vista.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Disconnecting from network and then connecting again solves this issue for me.

scion_sid added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I assume you have Vista.

Tried it several times and it still failed. And i have XP SE

shrenik

International Coach
i think you need to register your router for permanent access.....
go to the ip address of your router and then confirm your username and password under PPPOE tab....

if that doesnt work then i think you should check for your userid and pass with your service provider

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Are you on DSL/Cable/something else?

On DSL I had to follow these steps:

1. Set up my DSL modem to bridged mode.
2. Add the PPPoE authentication to the router.
3. Setup the WEP/WPA key on the router.
4. Connect.

Since your wired devices work through the router, it appears that steps 1-2 have been completed successfully. Try unplugging and replugging in the wireless router. That's solved many a problem on my NetGear WG314.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
My office PC has network problem. Its on XP so I will post pictures for you tomorrow.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
WPA has various subtypes though, and I've had my own problems trying to get XP to decipher which ones.

What generally works here is creating a manual profile. In the wireless window, there should be something like Add a new network or Connect to a network or something like that, its easy to find, you should be able to enter a place where you manually define a network. Some terms -

SSID - The name of your network you set from the Router.

In the security type, use the right variant and enter the key there, tick "Connect automatically when in range" and then save. Try connecting to the network then.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
4 types. Select second one. Cant remember its name. :p

Users who are viewing this thread