Cricket 09 Release Speculation Thread

Its not about bashing EA. I can understand that people were demanding a cricket game but they were demanding a decent game that could have fetched a score of 6.5-7/10. No one was demanding a 9/10 game. I am no fortune teller or foreteller but this game sucks more than (lets c hmmmmmmmm Pakistan's batting) at the moment :). I for one Ain't buying this crap. Codies game will be a lot better especially when its apparently a next gen title I can get to play on xbox360. I don't see many of us disgruntled fans buying this rotten piece of crap.

Last edited:
Peter Moor still saying EA is not making any Cricket game ... does that mean he is saying EA is not making a Cricket game but will publish from a third party ... or he is just saying people give up EA is not gonna release any game. check his interview ...

VG247 Blog Archive Peter Moore Vs VG247 - round two
Moore comes across as an arrogant snob there, I doubt the publicity he was looking for. He laughs at cricket (the rumour of a game, and county cricket) and once again makes out if a game doesn't sell well in the US it isn't worldwide.

Naveed, I'd expect nothing more than a few more polygon models, some Depth of Field and Better AA / at most a noise filter applied in the graphics department.

Moore comes across as an arrogant snob there, I doubt the publicity he was looking for. He laughs at cricket (the rumour of a game, and county cricket) and once again makes out if a game doesn't sell well in the US it isn't worldwide.

I was really disappointed with his attitude towards the sport.First he says that he is a big fan of cricket and then laughs at it!
Who is Moore to comment on how county cricket sustains itself? If he does not like it or enjoy it anymore,let him not comment at all.And someone please explain to him that just because cricket games do not sell in North America,it is`nt a global sport. It may not be as huge as football but it certainly has a greater fan following than NASCAR,Baseball, Ice hockey,American Football or Basketball !
Cricket`s world event is actually participated in by nations across the globe while baseball`s `World Series` involves a dozen sides from across the USA and Japan ! Now tell me how the global sport argument works here?

He is`nt doing us a favor by releasing cricket games.They do it for money and not for the love of the game anyway,so why ridicule the sport ! The sun might have set on the British Empire Mr Moore,but cricket is still growing strong and is in financially better health than it was half a century ago.

Last edited:
Who is Moore to comment on how county cricket sustains itself? If he does not like it or enjoy it anymore,let him not comment at all.And someone please explain to him that just because cricket games do not sell in North America,it is`nt a global sport. It may not be as huge as football but it certainly has a greater fan following than NASCAR,Baseball, Ice hockey,American Football or Basketball !
The point is that there are more potential buyers in North America than in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. India is a giant cricket market, but they won't make a profit there, they have to price too low to compete with rampant piracy.

Like it or not, those other US sports offer a much easier entry point for gamers, possibly because they need to be simple for Americans to understand them, but driving around in a circle, bouncing a ball while running then throwing, hitting something with a stick into a goal and running forwards while holding a ball; are all very simple ideas for sports, and can appeal to people who don't know much about the sport.

I can't stand watching NFL on TV, but have Madden, because it makes a pretty good video game. Cricket doesn't do that, at least no one has done that yet. You can't get someone who doesn't like cricket to pick up a cricket game in a store, you can do that with the other sports.

As I've said before, when you are playing cricket in a park or something, everyone wants to bat, that's because as a game to play, all anyone wants to do is smash the ball as hard as they can.

Working out a bowling mechanic that works well and isn't horrible compared to batting is the first step in to getting cricket to a wider gaming audience. As it stands now, EA's audience for Cricket games is basically people who'd end up on a site like this. Codemasters have gone for the broader audience, created a game that isn't as much of a cricket simulation, but more a smash the ball around game, and it has worked well for their bottom line.

EA's move towards Twenty20 is part of this, but isn't the end. For the long term survival of EA's cricket game series, they need to sort out fundamentals that can bring in a new audience, without destroying the cricket faithful. Unfortunately this means investing a lot of money into development, money EA don't have because they have been complacent (and screwing around customers with $100 roster updates each year).

Cricket`s world event is actually participated in by nations across the globe while baseball`s `World Series` involves a dozen sides from across the USA and Japan ! Now tell me how the global sport argument works here?
Feel free to show me EA's Baseball game.

By what I've read thus far in this thread, It seems EA have kept up their reputation of not giving a sheet about cricket fans. I mean WTF, a fake IPL. If it's not licensed, don't put it int the game at all I say, It just makes the game cheesy and stupid. They'll probably get away with same actions for every bowler/batsmen.

I'll probably end up buying it and wasting ?20/?30 or I might just download it illegally just to show my lack of respect to EA.

The point is that there are more potential buyers in North America than in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. India is a giant cricket market, but they won't make a profit there, they have to price too low to compete with rampant piracy.

Like it or not, those other US sports offer a much easier entry point for gamers, possibly because they need to be simple for Americans to understand them, but driving around in a circle, bouncing a ball while running then throwing, hitting something with a stick into a goal and running forwards while holding a ball; are all very simple ideas for sports, and can appeal to people who don't know much about the sport.

I can't stand watching NFL on TV, but have Madden, because it makes a pretty good video game. Cricket doesn't do that, at least no one has done that yet. You can't get someone who doesn't like cricket to pick up a cricket game in a store, you can do that with the other sports.

As I've said before, when you are playing cricket in a park or something, everyone wants to bat, that's because as a game to play, all anyone wants to do is smash the ball as hard as they can.

Working out a bowling mechanic that works well and isn't horrible compared to batting is the first step in to getting cricket to a wider gaming audience. As it stands now, EA's audience for Cricket games is basically people who'd end up on a site like this. Codemasters have gone for the broader audience, created a game that isn't as much of a cricket simulation, but more a smash the ball around game, and it has worked well for their bottom line.

EA's move towards Twenty20 is part of this, but isn't the end. For the long term survival of EA's cricket game series, they need to sort out fundamentals that can bring in a new audience, without destroying the cricket faithful. Unfortunately this means investing a lot of money into development, money EA don't have because they have been complacent (and screwing around customers with $100 roster updates each year).

Feel free to show me EA's Baseball game.

EA might not have released baseball games as frequently as FIFA or Madden but the games they`ve released do show that they put in a lot more effort in it than they do with their cricket games.There seems to be apathy towards cricket which is what the interview suggests.

Fine, you cannot make half-decent cricket games but at least do not make fun of the sport and justify it by saying that it is`nt a global sport and showing surprise that it still sustains itself.

There was also a cricket game rumoured?which was heavily tipped. Cricket?s a worldwide sport, Peter.
Yeah. I was watching County cricket last night, wondering how it survives as a business.I think there are some big backers.Is that what it is? OK. I was watching Glamorgan and Leicestershire, and there was, like, four men and a dog. Anyway. Go ahead.

Are you making a cricket game?
No. I don?t know what I have to say.
It?s amazing. I love cricket myself. I?m a huge cricket fan, and I go back before all of you were born, watching test cricket and sitting out at Old Trafford as a kid watching Lancashire play. I mock County cricket, but in the old days it used to be a big deal. Today, I don?t know why it survives. EA?s done cricket, but it goes back to the original issue we talked about. These are different times right now, and you can?t afford to do things that aren?t generating the right amount of return, that can?t keep your staff employed? Unfortunately cricket fits into that. While you say it?s a global sport, it is a regional sport where the sun has set on the British Empire.And so I have to respond to rumours all the time

Last edited:
Its not about bashing EA. I can understand that people were demanding a cricket game but they were demanding a decent game that could have fetched a score of 6.5-7/10. No one was demanding a 9/10 game. I am no fortune teller or foreteller but this game sucks more than (lets c hmmmmmmmm Pakistan's batting) at the moment :). I for one Ain't buying this crap. Codies game will be a lot better especially when its apparently a next gen title I can get to play on xbox360. I don't see many of us disgruntled fans buying this rotten piece of crap.

Finally someone agress with me.
Please people don't waste your money on this lazy made peice of crap made by EA.
If I use you I will just get cricket 07 and use the patchs

I've just had an aweful thought.

EA will probably have the same gameplay in its T20 mode as Test modes, meaning you'll either get 1000 runs in a day with 2 wickets fallen, mainly due to bowling it on their leg stump;

OR!

In the T20 mode, you'll be chasing 35 runs for 0 wickets.

Oh the horror, I just hope it isn't like that, but we all know full well it will be.

So there is a EA cricket game coming out? I'm not up to speed with this stuff anymore but would like to know thanks!

So there is a EA cricket game coming out? I'm not up to speed with this stuff anymore but would like to know thanks!

There is, yeah. Cricket 09 (or Cricket 2005 v3) will be out around July time.

I've just had an aweful thought.

EA will probably have the same gameplay in its T20 mode as Test modes, meaning you'll either get 1000 runs in a day with 2 wickets fallen, mainly due to bowling it on their leg stump;

OR!

In the T20 mode, you'll be chasing 35 runs for 0 wickets.

Oh the horror, I just hope it isn't like that, but we all know full well it will be.

There is a different AI for different modes, whether it is realistic or not is another matter.

Users who are viewing this thread