Cricket 19 General Discussion

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh yey, they've fixed spinning, while I'm batting, against India, on this surface. I'm delighted... :lol

Your skills on knowing where your off-stump is, going to be tested a lot.[DOUBLEPOST=1583922342][/DOUBLEPOST]
not patch related, it’s low rated umpires.
This happened to me several weeks ago, first 4 balls after the new ball, was amazing. I created the umpire, so it was all my fault!

For me it happened before as well, where I missed a hattrick due to this and lost the match. Didn't have any reviews left. International Match.[DOUBLEPOST=1583922423][/DOUBLEPOST]
This happened to me several weeks ago, first 4 balls after the new ball, was amazing. I created the umpire, so it was all my fault!

Also, got the same type of bowled wicket, after two wrong LBW decisions.

AnkitC

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

What's the rating for these Umpires? This makes the game so much fun especially when you have DRS enabled.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
by the way this game is superior to Ashes...

In what way? When you can't get caught in the ring or outfield in a whole test match?

Just had Dean Elgar, under pressure, and batting slowly as per his precise mentality, 31(101) advance down the pitch and lob a catch to long on in a test match. Felt like real cricket, and certainly wasn't a C19 feeling of block, block, smash, edged behind.

At least we all have a BA game to enjoy, just mine certainly isn't this one.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In what way? When you can't get caught in the ring or outfield in a whole test match?

Just had Dean Elgar, under pressure, and batting slowly as per his precise mentality, 31(101) advance down the pitch and lob a catch to long on in a test match. Felt like real cricket, and certainly wasn't a C19 feeling of block, block, smash, edged behind.

At least we all have a BA game to enjoy, just mine certainly isn't this one.

This is what breaks me in a nutshell. Why can't BA add stuff, without taking stuff away. The AI in Ashes used their feet to spinners, and got caught in the field... why was that removed?

There's plenty in c19 that IS better than Ashes, but why does that have to be at the expense of something so fundamental.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is what breaks me in a nutshell. Why can't BA add stuff, without taking stuff away. The AI in Ashes used their feet to spinners, and got caught in the field... why was that removed?

There's plenty in c19 that IS better than Ashes, but why does that have to be at the expense of something so fundamental.
I think the phrase "why was it removed?" is unhelpful. I don't disagree that there aren't things you don't see enough or things you see too often, but I don't think someone is sat at their desk deciding to take things out the game. Which is the impression I think that wording gives.

Reactions: DAP

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
I think the phrase "why was it removed?" is unhelpful. I don't disagree that there aren't things you don't see enough or things you see too often, but I don't think someone is sat at their desk deciding to take things out the game. Which is the impression I think that wording gives.

More of a case of "Why don't they work"?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
More of a case of "Why don't they work"?
Maybe. Throughout the series of games it's always struck me that AI batting is a bit like spinning plates; sometimes one of those plates comes crashing down. There's lots of factors - including the human player bowling - so you need the AI batters to react to that, the conditions, the match situation, the field settings (which could be all kinds of weird), probably a bunch of other things that aren't springing to mind. So, you improve one thing and it can knock something else out of whack. It's unfortunate and probably just as (if not even more) frustrating for BA than it is for us players.

(I think I had some related point but just went off on a tangent here... probably just repeating stuff I've said before too. :lol)

It's where I would like to see more expansion on the mental side of the AI players, branching off from the simple mentalities. Use perks to make batsman attempt to do different things or react to certain situations differently. Then you might get different results (e.g. wicket variety). I love the inclusion of perks but when I saw most of them were just skill boosts I was a little underwhelmed.

I have at times felt like it can be a bit contrived - AI giving away a wicket out of the blue* - but I don't get the impression there's something in the game that says '6 slip/WK catches, 1 lbw, 1 bowled, 2 run outs, 0 catches inside the ring, 0 stumpings' for each innings and you just change the numbers. If that was the case then what would be the point of playing?

*I think that's because the game doesn't really show or tell you if you're bowling well. Wickets do come out of the blue but a lot will come from scoreboard pressure or pressure on the batsman. We don't really see it in animations, cut scenes, crowd noise, commentary, on field sound, the shots played or not. Is what I'm doing building pressure or do I need to make a change?

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

We had ring/outfield dismissals for sure, and I think AI using their feet to spinners when c19 shipped. I don’t recall what exactly in Ashes but I think a dismissal mode was lost during it (I expect shortly @Langeveldt will realise he has never seen dismissal type x); in DBC17 bowled dismissals were patched out; in dbc14 edges went from rarer than rocking-horse shit to entirely non-existent without Franco’s hack...

so there’s a definite pattern. Maybe it’s a competency issue, maybe it’s a control issue, maybe it’s intentionally taking stuff out to give the AI a crutch because it’ll be too weak otherwise.

but either way, every game there has been at least one mode of AI dismissal that shipped in the game and after “improvements” it wasn’t there any more. Whether they were “removed”, “disappeared” or indeed were early victims of covid-19 is pretty much semantics

Last edited:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
We had ring/outfield dismissals for sure, and I think AI using their feet to spinners when c19 shipped. I don’t recall what exactly in Ashes but I think a dismissal mode was lost during it (I expect shortly @Langeveldt will realise he has never seen dismissal type x); in DBC17 bowled dismissals were patched out; in dbc14 edges went from rarer than rocking-horse shit to entirely non-existent without Franco’s hack...

so there’s a definite pattern. Maybe it’s a competency issue, maybe it’s a control issue, maybe it’s intentionally taking stuff out to give the AI a crutch because it’ll be too weak otherwise.

but either way, every game there has been at least one mode of AI dismissal that shipped in the game and after “improvements” it wasn’t there any more. Whether they were “removed”, “disappeared” or indeed were early victims of covid-19 is pretty much semantics

I’m almost certain and I’ve just looked back at all my highlight reels from previous games. That outfield catches have always been very very limited.

Iv seen mistimed pulls.
We had the irritating chip to mid off and on.

We only ever had the slap to short cover. But never a proper drive in the air.

No flick to mid wickets.

i reckon it’s one of the longest standing weaknesses of the game!

Reactions: DAP

Users who are viewing this thread