Cricket 19 vs Ashes Cricket

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Is there still a run rate issue in cricket 19? From memory on Ashes, if you managed 5 dot balls in a row you could bet the AI would always hit a boundary with the final ball to keep their run rate going no matter what you bowl or where you bowl it.

Hugely frustrating!

Can't say this is something I've noticed in the matches I've played

D

Dutch

Is there still a run rate issue in cricket 19? From memory on Ashes, if you managed 5 dot balls in a row you could bet the AI would always hit a boundary with the final ball to keep their run rate going no matter what you bowl or where you bowl it.

Hugely frustrating!
This has been generally resolved.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Hugely frustrating!
There is to a degree, if you bowl three-four balls in the same spot and do it again the fifth ball, then yes they go for it. I've found throwing in a few bouncers, cutters, negates that (This is in career mode, can't vouch for other modes.) There are run rate sliders that help overall. I'll just say it now, Cricket 19 isn't a white unicorn. There are fundamental flaws in AI, like bowling middle-leg stump lines for left handers consistently, averaging three run outs a game, sometimes innings, players don't dive for catches that drop short, keepers teleporting and bowlers too for catches sometimes etc. You will find frustration with this game, but there is also great enjoyment there as well. TL DR - See cricket 19 as a moderate refinement of Ashes Cricket.

Its quite obvious, to me anyway, that the AI code is hard baked into the game engine which means fixing these issues would be essentially taking the whole building down to replace a window rather than just replace the window. Hopefully this changes for the next game or one after.

I'm just saying this because I'm getting the feeling you're caught between two fires for getting it. Personally, like I said earlier, if you're happy with Ashes Cricket, then I'd stick with it until the next game, probably late this year or wait/find cricket 19 on sale.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
There is to a degree, if you bowl three-four balls in the same spot and do it again the fifth ball, then yes they go for it. I've found throwing in a few bouncers, cutters, negates that (This is in career mode, can't vouch for other modes.) There are run rate sliders that help overall. I'll just say it now, Cricket 19 isn't a white unicorn. There are fundamental flaws in AI, like bowling middle-leg stump lines for left handers consistently, averaging three run outs a game, sometimes innings, players don't dive for catches that drop short, keepers teleporting and bowlers too for catches sometimes etc. You will find frustration with this game, but there is also great enjoyment there as well. TL DR - See cricket 19 as a moderate refinement of Ashes Cricket.

Its quite obvious, to me anyway, that the AI code is hard baked into the game engine which means fixing these issues would be essentially taking the whole building down to replace a window rather than just replace the window. Hopefully this changes for the next game or one after.

I'm just saying this because I'm getting the feeling you're caught between two fires for getting it. Personally, like I said earlier, if you're happy with Ashes Cricket, then I'd stick with it until the next game, probably late this year or wait/find cricket 19 on sale.
Excellent summary I reckon.

Ashes still has its issues as well of course, but as you say, if you pick round then you can generally find plenty of enjoyment.

If I manage to find it for dirt cheap sonewhere I may give it a tickle then, but for the limited amount I do get to play (wife + 2 kids) prolly best to just stick with what I've got.

Cheers chaps!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Another one, after watching a great BBL game this morning....

How well are BBL/IPL tournaments put into the Cricket 19?

You'd need to DL the teams and stadiums of course, but that's no issue, and there's no official rights there I'd guess?

Are those competitions included in career mode as well? From memory they were in Ashes but they just weren't very good.

Just in case I got a hankering for making a run at a T20 tournament :)

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Another one, after watching a great BBL game this morning....

How well are BBL/IPL tournaments put into the Cricket 19?

You'd need to DL the teams and stadiums of course, but that's no issue, and there's no official rights there I'd guess?

Are those competitions included in career mode as well? From memory they were in Ashes but they just weren't very good.

Just in case I got a hankering for making a run at a T20 tournament :)
IPL is in career mode (through academy of course), BBL is not (due to that crappy big bash boom game I think). However, you can play BBL as a standalone tournament - Wasteyouryouth has both comps covered.

I skip the IPL because the calendar is straight up weird where I play a 4 day game then apparently on the fourth day (after finishing the first class game) I'm playing the IPL game. So it doesn't work very well in summary for career mode.

Hardball

School Cricketer
Perks add depth compared to Ashes, I only play career mode so I can't attest to other modes, but I enjoy it in bursts these days. Personally, I would wait and save a bit more as the next cricket is more than likely November-December this year.
Glad to know new game is coming out this year, do you know Big Ants is bought by Nacon, Nacon is a french video game company. Hopefully we will see more improvements in the new cricket game.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Glad to know new game is coming out this year, do you know Big Ants is bought by Nacon, Nacon is a french video game company. Hopefully we will see more improvements in the new cricket game.
Yeah, 58 milliom buyout. But I wouldn't expect anything significant for this coming cricket game, probably the iteration after and onwards.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
What next cricket game -- you guys speculating again?
Technically yes. But considering they've released a cricket game every England tour of Australia for the last eight years, I think its a given this year or early next year. But that's as far as I've gone on my speculation in terms of comment history. I was making more of a point in that don't expect massive changes this forthcoming iteration because of Nacon's buyout. In any case I'll stop now, as I'm doing the very thing I get annoyed with lol.

cricfan11

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I skip the IPL because the calendar is straight up weird where I play a 4 day game then apparently on the fourth day (after finishing the first class game) I'm playing the IPL game. So it doesn't work very well in summary for career mode.
I've noticed that before and for this reason I usually check the calendar and fixtures before accepting any offers for test tours. If they fall during IPL I deny it.

Edit: Sorry, above I am talking about Ashes cricket rather than Cricket 19, realized a little late which thread am I in. But I guess the same concept goes for Cricket 19?

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
How does that work? Do you sign for IPL and a county or something?
Yeah if you sign for a county and IPL it doubles up. So for argument sake, there's a county game 15-18 July. The game will finish and then in the calendar, after the county game, on the 18th is an IPL match that you then play.

Users who are viewing this thread