Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

There's been some obvious & some not so obvious behind the scenes changes to certain sliders, timings, shot timings, etc. in this last patch & it's not entirely clear that they were actually intentional (again).

I completely wiped my C22 a few hours after this most recent patch due to so many ongoing problems & noticed after looking through following this latest patch that there were several changes to some very long term defaults, (they'd been the same for years & for good reason). Also noticed that even though everything was 100% fresh, some values are set at some really odd numbers, but if you then highlight them & click the relevant button to revert them to their defaults they change again even though they were technically already at their defaults with a 100% fresh install. (Don't ask me what on earth is going on there but not exactly surprised.) Some of these values that seem to have double settings throws certain things off even more. I suspect the changes to the timings is a part of it as many are now essentially mis-timing frequently & will be for some time unless the defaults are reverted or anyone who's played previously will have to completely rewire the timings in their heads they've been used to for so long, especially for online play where there's no option to change the local sliders, or for those that may still elect to play both C19 & C22 where the timings had always been the same until this last patch. But, other areas such as the shot force may also be affected by this sudden change.

Until a patch or so ago, even though the default hard bowling ball marker timing was always set to 21, as another example, it was still out & was triggering far, far too late regardless of the slider value itself. (The slider timing was ineffective & didn't match an actual hard coded timing.) They've since fixed that & the timing is now correct but if it's this easy to mess a sliders hard coding regardless of the actual slider value we see, then it wouldn't be hard to unfortunately mess with any other timings, numbers, values, & so on, that can affect shot force etc. All of a sudden, everything is out of sync or out of whack to what you're used to.
I've noticed all this too. I think the initial settings were not working correctly or were simply wrong so they fixed them. I played all their games on tweaked medium settings for batting but, in c22, I had to put it to hardest and was still finding batting too easy. With the new patch, batting became super difficult for me.
The values and settings you had originally were most likely tied to your profile and not just the game. Also, a default value now could be different to an original value and, if you had tweaked any settings, the game would be converting your old values into the new ones.

Yes it's just unplayable with the obvious AI "one boundary an over" scripting and run rates - it happens even if you are bowling like a combination of Larwood, Willis and Anderson at their best. With the appalling PS4 frame rate issues I'm afraid at the moment this game gives Ashes 13 a run for its money as the most disappointing cricket game ever.

I've been playing DB17 in parallel and it's a much better game in every respect. I'm not having a pop at BA as that game is very good but it's a real shame the AI has gone backwards so much since.

I've noticed all this too. I think the initial settings were not working correctly or were simply wrong so they fixed them. I played all their games on tweaked medium settings for batting but, in c22, I had to put it to hardest and was still finding batting too easy. With the new patch, batting became super difficult for me.
The values and settings you had originally were most likely tied to your profile and not just the game. Also, a default value now could be different to an original value and, if you had tweaked any settings, the game would be converting your old values into the new ones.

When I carried out the wipe on the Xbox I also used the "wipe all" setting which also clears all local or cloud saved data & profiles from all available sources.

Once completed, I rebooted to ensure no cache data remained, repeated the process, checked no profile data was downloading again (nothing), then lastly I completely uninstalled the game, rebooted & redownload the whole thing again.

When I began again with a fresh C22 it was unequivocally an outright wipe with no danger at all of snagging old profile files that could potentially reintroduce old profile data and/or an old problem.

A bit over the top yes, but I've been experiencing some odd issues that others just didn't seem to be either (or if they were they just aren't bothering to mention it). It was after all that, that I then experienced the issues with some sliders having these odd dual values with a 100% blank, fresh install

R.e. rain, I think we should only have it if it is done properly. As a video game designer, every time you take something out of the control of the players, it's a huge risk. Rain is very much "in God's hands", and in games in the past the user felt like there was no control because it would just come and go randomly and you kind of had no idea it was coming.

Rain in real life actually does give some control to the player. Do I declare early because rain is coming? How does that affect my run rate? Does this affect my strategy of blocking out for a draw? All of this could be in a video game but only if the player had a clear idea what was going on. Weather radars, commentators talking about it, proper forecasts that weren't just a google weather thing.

That all sounds like a lot of work, because, well it is. I don't think it's the most important thing either. So overall I'd rather just not have rain than some half-arsed implementation. I'd also probably rather have smarter batting and bowling AI than a proper implementation, at this time.
As a video game designer you must tear your hair out at some of the shambolic bugs in the game.

That’s the point, AI has got bad to worse with the last few patches. Number 11 hitting sixes on Yorkers is like a walk in the park for them and that’s one every over before they go back to hibernation for next 5 balls. They don’t believe in rotating the strike and who cares if you could hit sixes anywhere anytime any ball blah..

Also,the AI dismissals are so scripted that if they are dropped once, they keep edging back until they are dismissed. I kept dropping him on purpose before he eventually got bowled (on purpose of course). I guess the scripting was way better in C19 and was never this obvious.

Im sorry but I can go on and on.

Attaching a recent AI wagon wheel for an ODI where they backed themselves in hitting only fours and sixes but one per over to make it look realistic score at the end.
Oh I dont even bother bowling to AI , gets frustrating with their easy lofts exactly in the gaps.. I feel there is a great potential here too to make bowling experience amazing with balanced AI but lot of work needs to go in..

There is no real progress in their innings.. You dont get the feel of "Oh man I need to think something to break the partnership" as you know they will give it away eventually, the sense of reward is just not there in bowling to AI right now..

Yes it's just unplayable with the obvious AI "one boundary an over" scripting and run rates - it happens even if you are bowling like a combination of Larwood, Willis and Anderson at their best. With the appalling PS4 frame rate issues I'm afraid at the moment this game gives Ashes 13 a run for its money as the most disappointing cricket game ever.

I've been playing DB17 in parallel and it's a much better game in every respect. I'm not having a pop at BA as that game is very good but it's a real shame the AI has gone backwards so much since.
17 was indeed a great game,but it was spoiled for me when they brought out a patch that completely took out the ability to clean bowl the AI.

I've been playing an English career with Rumple's English custom sliders and having a great time.

I'm getting all manner of dismissals with my left arm pacer, seeing variable weather conditions and definite effects on the different pitch types.

Yes run rates are low for limited overs stuff but that's just because I can't be bothered changing them for each format, yes there are some annoying AF glitches and wicketkeepers could be replaced with a traffic cone currently but I'm enjoying myself.

No danger I'm trying an Ashes series or anything like that at the minute but there is still fun to be had with the game while BA sort it out.

Oh I dont even bother bowling to AI , gets frustrating with their easy lofts exactly in the gaps.. I feel there is a great potential here too to make bowling experience amazing with balanced AI but lot of work needs to go in..

There is no real progress in their innings.. You dont get the feel of "Oh man I need to think something to break the partnership" as you know they will give it away eventually, the sense of reward is just not there in bowling to AI right now..
Keep the AI striker timing and run rate to 20.
Bump up the wicket chance to 70.

Then play a test match. You'll love bowling to the AI.

Does “Timing” actually mean what it says, AI batsmen timing the ball, hitting it with the bat perfectly and therefore possibly hitting sweet boundaries off the middle or is it something else more inline with Run Rate?

I’ve got custom difficulties per format with RR 20 for Tests and WC 70 across all. Haven’t touched Timing. Can’t remember if default is 50. Consistently seeing improvement in game but am currently batting in first Test since latest patch, yet to bowl.

The AI grounded shots don’t travel with a low striker timing with the most recent patch.

I’ve tried keeping the run rate and AI timing low, they score at snail’s pace with most of the runs still coming through lofted smashes - 41 overs 75/5 with no rotation of strike.

The AI grounded shots don’t travel with a low striker timing with the most recent patch.

I’ve tried keeping the run rate and AI timing low, they score at snail’s pace with most of the runs still coming through lofted smashes - 41 overs 75/5 with no rotation of strike.
Try having timing at 50 and just lower the run rate,works for me.

One thing i'm really happy about is reskilling tailenders seems to work,just played 2 tests between eng and pak,I set every batting skill to 2 for numbers 8 to 11,and no one scored double figures,they hung around a bit but scored really slowly.

Try having timing at 50 and just lower the run rate,works for me.

One thing i'm really happy about is reskilling tailenders seems to work,just played 2 tests between eng and pak,I set every batting skill to 2 for numbers 8 to 11,and no one scored double figures,they hung around a bit but scored really slowly.
Yeah that’s what I’m using atm - 65 strike rate, 45 wicket chance and 40 run rate. They are doing alright in tests but still the intent to rotate strike is missing + AI wickets scripting looks too obvious.

ODI - there is no AI intent at all, currently badly messed up where they either smash you or just defend. Singles and doubles are all far fetched. Avoid playing shorter formats.

I guess it would take the BA team time to iron out and sort the AI gameplay, till then keep testing and changing the sliders.

The absolute immediate priority should be shot improvements and AI gameplay, rest all can continue in piece meal.

halfway through a test using @Rumple43's sliders and @WealeyH 's re-skilling. I ended up increasing the power and judgment of the AI players to 5 or 6, as I found the new patch has given bowling a bit of a boost. I had Australia (@ Adelaide) at 100/3 and it felt quite real with Warner in a crushing it and new batters playing defensively. But then I put in Axar and next thing you know I got them all out for 210 (Axar went 6-42). Might tinker a bit more with the reskilling, as I'd like them to be a bit better but overall the experience was fantastic.

As I mentioned earlier, turning up bowl quality to 90 has made batting much more fun and I'm currently 100/2. The scores feel very reasonable, but the only issue is that about 70 of those runs are coming from shots to square or fine leg. I forgot that my custom team opens with 2 lefthanders and so it got a bit boring with the AI banging it at the pads with such easy runs available I know @MattW mentioned that they are looking into the issue with bowlers spamming legside to lefties but to me the issue is less with the line and more with the fields. I've tried adding 5-6 "very aggressive" fields that still cover square and deep fine leg but the AI still returns to these fields that makes it impossible for them to build pressure.

My solution might be to just avoid opening with lefties, especially because I find the AI sets more appropriate fields after the 20th over, but I'm hoping BA can introduce a quick fix wherein a lefthanded batter automatically gets a field with at least 3 leg fielders including a square leg.

That all being said and even with this small issue, the game has been wonderful to play and there are so many moments that feel like I'm watching/playing a proper text. Cheers to all the wonderful people here who have helped!

Last edited:
17 was indeed a great game,but it was spoiled for me when they brought out a patch that completely took out the ability to clean bowl the AI.
As I said in an earlier post, the latest PS4 versions allows clean bowling the AI. I've clean bowled several AI this week in DB17. I've also had LBWs. Overall there are a wider variety of dismissals in a typical innings than C22, but you do need to bowl well.

As I said in an earlier post, the latest PS4 versions allows clean bowling the AI. I've clean bowled several AI this week in DB17. I've also had LBWs. Overall there are a wider variety of dismissals in a typical innings than C22, but you do need to bowl well.
I'll have to dust off my PS4 and give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread