Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I just want to be able to see the skills of players during a match. At the moment I could be bowling deliveries my player has no real strength in (if that matters - it should). Whereas if I see a player has a strong inswing skill I would preference that. Equally, I might see my batter is stronger in other aspects than I've been trying.

At the very least I'd like to see something like:

Stock Delivery: 1 Seam, 2 Out Swing
Change Up: 1 Slower Ball, 2 Yorker

Ideally there would be more depth to both in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. I think the micro stuff (like shot preferences or front foot weaknesses) is more complex because you're dealing with thousands of players but more general stuff like match ups would not be as complex. So, I could go 'Oh, this player is weak against Right Arm Finger Spin, I'll try that first.'

I'd love to see an 'insight' system, I guess you could call it 'Match ups', where as your confidence grows more information about your opponent is revealed. In career mode this could be something that is provided like a 'coach report'. Nothing in club cricket though, you just have to reveal it during a match, but as you become more professional you might see some 'insights' at the start of an innings as this would reflect more knowledge/research levels at the higher levels. This could perhaps be built in with the Proficiencies so some players might look to gain 'knowledge' rather than skill based leveling up. Like, if you know more about your opponent it could/should be as useful as being highly skilled. If you reach Jimmy Anderson levels you could just be super skillful and super knowledgable and they can activate 'big-head' mode that used to be in DBC17.

Anyway, I have to tidy my flat. I could sit here all day writing out my ideas for skills.
All these would be great addition but only when we actually know what affects which skill set and what the values represent because unless they give a proper explanation on how it affects a player and what role a slider has over skills of a batsman.. Then this would matter a lot.. I am sure it matters to some extent even now but to get clarity on that is important.. If that happens, would definitely like more information from the "Coach" or the timeout during a T20 match or drinks break to try something accordingly..
Right now even AI batting is so poor in the shot selection segment where they play like 5-6 shots in particular zones to get majority of the runs..

AnmolJ

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
All these would be great addition but only when we actually know what affects which skill set and what the values represent because unless they give a proper explanation on how it affects a player and what role a slider has over skills of a batsman.. Then this would matter a lot.. I am sure it matters to some extent even now but to get clarity on that is important.. If that happens, would definitely like more information from the "Coach" or the timeout during a T20 match or drinks break to try something accordingly..
Right now even AI batting is so poor in the shot selection segment where they play like 5-6 shots in particular zones to get majority of the runs..
Tbh skills don't matter at all. It's all scripted. BA should just work on making the game look less scripted.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Tbh skills don't matter at all. It's all scripted. BA should just work on making the game look less scripted.

This used to be the case in the older games but I’m positive the newer ones have some semblance of skills mattering (even if the script overrides them sometimes).

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I'm reminded of the Clippy from MS Word that acts all smug when you try to ask it for help. They had it parodied in a recent Age of Empires tournament live and it was super funny so I'm all in for that being a thing with Boomer the Duck. :lol

I also agree with what you're saying in principle. We used to have some fun options in the older games for customisation that I'd very much like to return for one.
Yeeees. I'm imagining @blockerdave coming on here to say "Malcolm Marshall just bowled Chris Tavare, started doing Gangnam Style and then Boomer the Duck popped his head on the screen, started clapping and quacked out "THERE:clapARE:clapTWO:clapTYPES:clapOF:clapLEAVE"

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Ultimately I think match ups would be more useful (or at least stage 1 or more helpful strategic system) than skill strenghts and weaknesses - at least when formulating plans against bowlers. If I know a batter is weak against a particular type of bowler then that can inform my bowling choices. More depth would be knowing what to bowl. Currently, and I always come back to this, how do you bowl to a batter who has a Special Shots weakness? Knowing a players skills, in a match, would at least be useful for the reasons I stated. If I have a good match up and bowl that players best balls then it should increase the likliehood of a wicket - of course it shouldn't be a cheat code to get wickets but it would at least make strategic decision more interesting.

In terms of AI batting selection I would like to see batters split into style sets - Orthodox / Balanced / Innovator - at least as a starting point. Orthodox would play more traditional cricket strokes and Innovator players more scoops, laps, sweeps. Balanced might be someone who occasionally innovates. I believe this is some way tied to mentalities but so is scoring rates which I think should be its own set that determines how quickly a player looks to score. You could add in a Slogger too, for someone who might play more power relevant shots.

noys390

County Cricketer
Ultimately I think match ups would be more useful (or at least stage 1 or more helpful strategic system) than skill strenghts and weaknesses - at least when formulating plans against bowlers. If I know a batter is weak against a particular type of bowler then that can inform my bowling choices. More depth would be knowing what to bowl. Currently, and I always come back to this, how do you bowl to a batter who has a Special Shots weakness? Knowing a players skills, in a match, would at least be useful for the reasons I stated. If I have a good match up and bowl that players best balls then it should increase the likliehood of a wicket - of course it shouldn't be a cheat code to get wickets but it would at least make strategic decision more interesting.

In terms of AI batting selection I would like to see batters split into style sets - Orthodox / Balanced / Innovator - at least as a starting point. Orthodox would play more traditional cricket strokes and Innovator players more scoops, laps, sweeps. Balanced might be someone who occasionally innovates. I believe this is some way tied to mentalities but so is scoring rates which I think should be its own set that determines how quickly a player looks to score. You could add in a Slogger too, for someone who might play more power relevant shots.

The main problem in the Cricket 22 is that, the batting & bowling 'mentalities' does not vary to a significant extent. The AI plays almost the same way for all the players. If this 'mentality' thing truly plays out in a correct manner then the game become more diversified and to combat that you have to change your plans accordingly.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India

Yeah I understand your point, and it would make the bowling experience lot better but my point is whether they have such a system implemented in the first place to make it possible during the gameplay.. Like having matchups is good, starting point would be like taking the history of previous matches to see how they have got out in a series or something like career.. So AI decides to bring in that kind of spinner as the first option as soon as the batsman comes into the middle.. AI goes, past 3 matches he got out to leg spin trying to drive.. Let me get one in now and make him bowl wider.. And you as a batsman make use of the net practice and increase your driving skill to start playing it better.. For such things net practice would also be useful with pop up saying practice this particular shot to get better at timing and your footwork..

And similar thing for normal matches based on loading past dismissals just like stats as a simple data to make that possible.. I hope I make sense..

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yeah I understand your point, and it would make the bowling experience lot better but my point is whether they have such a system implemented in the first place to make it possible during the gameplay.. Like having matchups is good, starting point would be like taking the history of previous matches to see how they have got out in a series or something like career.. So AI decides to bring in that kind of spinner as the first option as soon as the batsman comes into the middle.. AI goes, past 3 matches he got out to leg spin trying to drive.. Let me get one in now and make him bowl wider.. And you as a batsman make use of the net practice and increase your driving skill to start playing it better.. For such things net practice would also be useful with pop up saying practice this particular shot to get better at timing and your footwork..

And similar thing for normal matches based on loading past dismissals just like stats as a simple data to make that possible.. I hope I make sense..
I have thought in the past that the AI being able to use match ups against the career player would probably be a long term, potentially complex, goal of such a system but it would be pretty awesome. I think it could be used for AI players 'pre-game' without the need for in-game tracking.

In game, thinking career mode, there's a lot of relevant information within the game that could be used to implement it.

Left/Right arm
Mentality
Bowler Type
Around/Over the wicket

It would be hugely satisfying if you come into bat and the AI immediately looks to bring on Left Arm, Aggressive, Finger Spinners and have them bowl around the wicket because you have a low average against that match up in your career. It might even trigger the use of a part timer if that's all they have. It could go further and have actual players that you perform well or poorly against, but that'd mean tracking performance against every single player over a career.

cricboi

Club Captain
Would making it so we can set fielders whereever we want rather than in only fixed positions be possible? Would be nice to have more customization especially for accommodating wickets with different bounce.

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You all want some kind of ChatGPT in Cricket 24...
Ya let chatGPT take over those press conference questions and options so we may have fun. May be flyting with some bald reporters with "your momma......" kinda gig... :p

Users who are viewing this thread