Cricket Anecdotes

true true, lol, it is hard to understand for english because it is hard to imagine how much of a star tendulkar is.

will guys stay on topic' but i have some doubts about tendulkar' i have seen tendulkar struggle specially againt's pakistan' to tell you the truth no offence sachinisgod' i havent seen any indian player's playing well againt's pakistan' infect the highest score was 140 recently by tendulkar' i have nothing againt's india but they dont really perform well againt's pakistan' india is my second favirote team' And sofar i have seen them playing well againt's every team but i havent seen the best of them againt's pakistan' and ofcourse sachin is the best player ever' every one know's sachin in india from a 2 year old to 80 year old' sachin is a phenomenla' who has spread the name cricket around india and around the world' infect when i was a 5 year old' i did not knew much about cricket' but still i knew there was a great player and his name was sachin' he is a role model for every youngster's in india' he is a perfect batsment' and i respect him alot'

THERE IS A NAME SACHIN THEN THERE IS A NAME CRICKET'

well dude i don't know how much have u followed Sachin or Indian cricket but one thing is sure u did miss out on the Samsung Cup matches in Pakistan last Feb-March...you also missed out on the Centurion match(World Cup) on March 1 2003...perhaps you were a bit too young to remember Jadeja(yep a fixer)'s onslaught against the great Waquar...Sachin, Ganguly and Robin Singh's batting when they chased 314 in Dhaka under lights...also Sachin's test hundreds against Pakistan...sublime as ever 136 and 197*...sehwag's 309...and you say Indians don't play well against Pakistan...

perhaps there lies the beauty of international cricket...barring Aussies in last 6 years and recent additions like Bangladesh...you cannot definitely say that such and such team has never played well against such and such team...at some point of time they have all played well against each other(that includes India against the giants Aussies in last 6 years)...

and by the way I thought that the "topic" of this thread was to discuss cricket stories and the present one just happens to be on Sachin Tendulkar...:)

Last edited:
Once as a school cricketer, Kapil Dev was on a tour(under-something)...At lunch time, he demanded few more rotis (Indian Roasted Bread)...The coach/manager who was accompanying the kids told him that he couldn't get any more than the others...At this Kapil retorted that he needed more food because he was a fast bowler. The coach replied "India doesn't produce fast bowlers. It produces only spinners."...Few have been proved more wrong...:)

well I donno how amusing will you all find this:

Gambhir in the National Indian Language - Hindi means "serious"....now on a Hindi News channel on TV, the Indian Squad for Bangladesh tour was being scrolled on a scrolling bar at the bottom...it went like (in Hindi) - Sachin, Saurav, Rahul, Laxman, Harbhajan, Kumble .......Gambhir...

literally understood in Hindi it means all those 13-14 people before the word Gambhir are serious...:) (sounds like an accident news)!!!

this thread's been dormant too long...

we Indians loved the Pakistani hospitality last year, our batsmen are loving their bowling this year and i like their sense of humor too...

a poster in the 1996 WC final at Lahore read - "Hair or no Hair, Murali's balls are fair!"...now that rates as one of the best puns for me... :D

Well I would like to bring to ur notice three courageous gentleman who are never discussed in cricketing history but they make cricket what it is

1st Mohinder Amarnath

He was hit on his head by a bouncer from a West Indian. Sunil Gavaskar called Amarnath back. But he wouldn budge.Soon bleeding profusely he had to leave the feild
.But being what he was Jimmy Sir asked captain that he would be the next one.Sunny asked his teammates not to respond to Jimmy .
Guess what he does next washesh his blood soaked shirt keeps out it in the afternnon sun and as soon as next wicket fell he ran off to the feild and half way thru asked Sidhu to get his shirt

THis is a real story

2nd David Boon

He was hit on the jaw by a West Indian bouncer again.Umpires though that he would get off the feild and so he called for drinks.
Guess what BOON does he asks for his physio to stitch his jaw up without anasthesia on the feild itself
GR8 stuff

3 rd Dean Jones

One pf the best innings ever in a Test match was played by Deano At Madras in the Tied test match.He lost approx . 12 kg of wieght during his innings.He has lost hope when on 80's but Allan Border said
"Get a West Australian in place of this Victorian "
This spurred Deano on and he completed a double century .He urinated in his pants during this innings
But still went on and on and on

My salute to this three gentleman

This looks like some collection of bytes from some sav...but hey i am posting in the right forum...this happens to be the most expensive over in recorded cricket's history...bowler Bert Wance and batsmen - Lee Germon and Ford...77 runs in an over...the bold ones happened to be the legitimate deliveries and the umpire got so bored that he had to call off the over after 5 legitimate ones...btw it wasn't a baby bowling by mistake...it was calculated and deliberate...

for more on it: http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/203628_COL-REWIND_12MAR2005.html

Any takers for breaking the record... I promise I will make one new Boldly pinned thread in the Records Forum - "Most Runs in an over - any form of cricket - any platform(field or pc)..." :p...AI patch makers past, present and future barred from the competition... :D

Last edited:
lol I read that Sachin is on 1/6 of *all* Indian TV commercials. Unbelievable! He may be the batsman of the 90s, and a national hero, but that is just insane!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanequil said:
lol I read that Sachin is on 1/6 of *all* Indian TV commercials. Unbelievable! He may be the batsman of the 90s, and a national hero, but that is just insane!

What is so insane about that?

I dont see anything wrong with that as long as it does not affect your performance on the field.

Sachin always gives a 100% when playing for India, and that is why he is an idol to so many.

sachinisgod said:
this thread's been dormant too long...

Yeah, you had to make 4 consecutive posts at one point. :P

I just had a memory of the Australia vs South Africa semifinal in the 1999 World Cup (the tied one). I remember Klusener going great guns and then flighting a catch to long on, where Paul Reiffel was fielding. He ran in for the catch, completely misjudged it, and it flew through his hands for 6. I think that happened near the end of the innings and really swung the advantage to the South Africa. Then of coures, the Klusener/Donald mix-up happened. Sigh.

I also remember once a game in India (I think India vs Zimbabwe) where the umpires were really bad local ones. They were so biased towards India that at one point one gave a wide even though the ball clearly brushed the body of the batsman. Something happened and all the players went off the field and then everyone returned just to score like 2 from 5 balls or something. India ended up winning, of course.

please sohummisra, don't remind me of the 1999 semifinals, it still feels as horrible as it did when it happened.. I don't think any SA fans will ever get over it..

sachinisgod said:
Perhaps this was before the Umpires had the last say on the field. Once an umpire made the grave mistake of giving W.G. Grace out(which he was), the doctor(yep he was one) walked upto the umpire and told him - "the crowd came here to watch me bat and not you giving me out."

Some of you may of seen this, but in one of the ODI's of NZ vs Australia, I think it was the 5th, Craig McMillan was caught and the umpire raised his finger, but McMillan diddn't leave the field, it was pretty funny. He ended up getting out 20 runs or so later though.

Users who are viewing this thread