Cricket Board & Card Games???

JPNZ

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi all,

I am new here and was hoping to find some info/news/reviews/discussions on Cricket Board and/or Card games.

If anyone can help by pointing me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I've had a bit of a search and browse but am struggling to find anything.

:cheers
JP

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bought one in the early 90s called "Armchair Cricket", awesome game aimed for two players using two decks of cards which run from 1 to 11 in five "suits" - stumps, balls, gloves, bats and pads

Basically the fielding player would play a card, if the batting player could not play in the same suit, or a higher card, he lost a wicket. Lower order batsmen could not play 1s on their own, tailenders could not play 1s or 2s on their own.

And by on their own it indicates you could play two cards, and if the fielding player could play the card to make the totals level then the batsman would be run out.

Modes of out were clever, determined by the two cards/'suits' played, so a ball and glove would be caught behind, ball and bat would be caught by the number 1-11, stumps and gloves being stumped, well I'm sure you can work it out.

Runs scored were determined by the number by which the batting card(s) were higher in the same suit, a 1 'bowled' and an 11 from the batting player equals a six. If I recall 7-10 higher equals a four, 6 equals a 3, 1-2 equals a single, or something like that.

Anything lower in the same suit, or higher in a different suit would be a dot ball. You fill in a scorecard as normal, when a batsman is out he can change up to two cards, as can the fielding player at ends of session (go through the decks four times per session) and completely at the new ball.

I invented a much quicker game for one player, or could be adapted for two, but never got around to finding someone to market it with/for me. Much quicker than Armchair Cricket, suitable for one person and way more realistic than dice cricket.

In the modern era of games consoles aplenty, it is something that gets you away from a computer or TV monitor, gives you a realistic model of a cricket match and I reckon you could complete a game/Test in probably an hour or less, depends if you can remember the rules/scoring pointers.

bbinio

School Cricketer
I suppose I could have waited six more days for the 10-year anniversary, but...bump!

Anyone found/played anything of note in the last decade? I think this is an untapped area. Cricket is a discrete game - ball by ball. It should lend itself to card/board games. I've not seen one that encompasses different types of delivery/shot.

One recent one that did look good, though: "Cricket - The Game"

And, ulterior motive - I'm building a game that will be digital but leans into the card/dice format!

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I suppose I could have waited six more days for the 10-year anniversary, but...bump!

Anyone found/played anything of note in the last decade? I think this is an untapped area. Cricket is a discrete game - ball by ball. It should lend itself to card/board games. I've not seen one that encompasses different types of delivery/shot.

One recent one that did look good, though: "Cricket - The Game"

And, ulterior motive - I'm building a game that will be digital but leans into the card/dice format!
I have that game, I haven't had a chance to play it

bbinio

School Cricketer
I have that game, I haven't had a chance to play it
Interested to hear how you find it. Is the element of chance too little/too great? Do you feel you've got enough agency? Does it feel like a genuine battle between bowler and batter? Does over 10 feel different to over 1?

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Interested to hear how you find it. Is the element of chance too little/too great? Do you feel you've got enough agency? Does it feel like a genuine battle between bowler and batter? Does over 10 feel different to over 1?
I'll let you know when I find another person that wants to play with me :NO:

Users who are viewing this thread