Cricket Captain 2014

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Well, at least there's a preview now. Looks like the new UI is simply imported from the tablet version, but it is a step in the right direction.

The abysmal graphics are the same and there are no new features being advertised, so this becomes an easy decision for me to skip this game.

D

Deleted member 9102

I'm very tempted... Always enjoyed the match engine of ICC and the interface has much more life/colour in it by the looks of the screenshots. Will wait and see what sort of reception it gets in the days following the release.

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yea to me it really looks like nothing has changed

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What are you expecting to change? You can still captain a cricket team. That's the whole idea of the game. Graphics don't matter because you don't actually play the ball.

D

Deleted member 9102

I'm not fussed by the match engine graphics - FM's is no better and that's the pinnacle of sports management games. As long as the tactical elements and scorelines are accurately reproduced, that's fine by me.

I would have liked to see a lot more progress in aspects such as the GUI, player interaction and just more depth in the off-pitch stuff as a whole really over the years. ICC has made very little progress here in about a decade... Looks like the GUI will be better this time around though, hopefully it scales well to a decently sized 1080p screen.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I hope next year they focus on the graphics, like they have the GUI this year, and then in the years following they can go into more detail with player interaction, perhaps losing your job with poor performance etc.

Cymro

Club Cricketer
People writing the game off before they have even played it. Silly.

D

Deleted member 9102

People writing the game off before they have even played it. Silly.
Well, you're unlikely to be in for any surprises when a new release of ICC comes around... It's hardly worth buying the new version each year.

Cymro

Club Cricketer
To be honest I'm not fussed, I enjoy the game end of. So will be buying.

D

Deleted member 9102

I probably will as well - does the game still have classic Ashes series in it? I noticed it said you can play England v India past series. Might give it a miss until next year if the old Ashes series aren't in this year's edition.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I probably will as well - does the game still have classic Ashes series in it? I noticed it said you can play England v India past series. Might give it a miss until next year if the old Ashes series aren't in this year's edition.

From what I've heard I believe the Ashes ones are still there and now they've also added in a similar style for old England v India series.

D

Deleted member 9102

From what I've heard I believe the Ashes ones are still there and now they've also added in a similar style for old England v India series.
I hope that's the case - I thought they might only put them in on Ashes seasons as a kind of 'incentive' to buy it on those years but it would be great if they are still there this time.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I hope that's the case - I thought they might only put them in on Ashes seasons as a kind of 'incentive' to buy it on those years but it would be great if they are still there this time.

Yeh, I'm hoping their intention is to build up a large amount of scenarios for all the possible countries :).

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I'll give you that the graphics don't really matter, but for me the hideous graphics that remain in place are just another representation of the greater problem of the core game not having evolved in any meaningful way for the better part of a decade. There's still no new FC structures, no scouting, no fixture editor, no player attributes, no stadium names(!), and no real change in the presentation of the actual match.

A cricket game should have a lot more depth, and we've waited and given Childish Games many years to introduce depth (giving them the benefit of the doubt because they don't have access to the same sort of resources as a big gaming company) which just isn't forthcoming. Eventually I'd like some cricket management game to at least attempt to achieve the level of FM, but Childish Games aren't interested in trying.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
1) No new FC structures - Not really much support behind this really and it would only be appreciated by a small minority, would still be nice though.
2) No scouting - The smaller database compared to the likes of football manager makes scouting more or less unnecessary as you can do it all yourself really.
3) No fixture editor - I don't see the need really but if you want it :p.
4) No player attributes - Why would you want them, completely ruins the game in my opinion, I enjoy working out my best players myself instead of sticking in the player with the highest number.
5) No stadium names - Probably a licensing issue I'd have thought.
6) No real change in the presentation of the actual match - What do you want them to do, it's cricket :D. I personally would like some slightly more updated animations, perhaps not really the graphics but the animations themselves minimum quite soon but I'm still happy with them as they are for now.

Users who are viewing this thread