Cricket On Tv - In The Uk ( lack of )

The license fee at the moment gives the BBC enough money to get the rights for Cricket both in England and England tours, its rumoured the BBC bid for the rights for 20:20 matches but it appears Sky will win these rights. However the problem is that the BBC has to justisfy the large amount of money that would be spent on Cricket and need to show that this would be worthwhile for the majority of license fee payers. Unfortunatly this at the moment does not seem true, an increase in the license fee to get Cricket rights would be popular with you and me but many people wouldn't agree with the increase for Cricket and would rather the money be spent on making more episodes of Eastenders, or programmes like Fame Acadamy.

Ste

the problem with that is that the BBC have shown little willingness to bid for any cricket rights. Also, the majority of license players probably don't give a toss about cricket.

Ste said:
, an increase in the license fee to get Cricket rights would be popular with you and me but many people wouldn't agree with the increase for Cricket and would rather the money be spent on making more episodes of Eastenders, or programmes like Fame Acadamy.

Ste

Perish the thought more Eastenders, but we used to get a lot of cricket from the BBC, I am payinf for my TY package my phone,my internet with cable, I hate shelling out more money.

Ern

any1 know if anythings showing Pak v Australia? in USA, where i live

It will be either Dish network or Ary Digital (US).

I have ARY DIgital for dish network :P , but i dont think they show matches because ARY Digital in US comes from New York? If i am wrong on this pls correct me

I think you could be right because ARY in USA doesnt show matches cause Dish Network has its own PPV channels for cricket matches. I havent seen any advertisment as of yet from dish network about broadcasting the series. but recently they did braodcast the India vs South Africa test series.

In USA DirectTV will be broadcasting the Aus vs Pak series.

nik said:
oh man! wat is it with cricket being shown in england?! there's always a problem!

...and due to get worse with Sky having the rights for ALL England matches home and away from next year I think. I do not have Sky Sports, and doubt I will be shelling out any more money for their coverage.

I believe channel 5 will be showing the highlights. If their coverage is anything like the quality they give to their American sports coverage, it should be worth watching in my opinion. The best thing is that they will be aired between 7 and 8 in the evening - rather than the "After Midnight" slot that Channel 4 pushed theirs out in over the last couple of years. And they wondered why the ratings were poor????

This leaves me with the radio for live play. I don't know if either has exclusive rights, but at least we have the (improving) TalkSport, or the infinitely superior TMS coverage on Radio 4. - both currently available through standard analog radio.

I believe, as do many of the players, commentators and officials, that removing Cricket from the terrestrial channels in England, will hurt the game in the long run. OK, more people are getting access to digital sports, but missing out on a large part of the market is very poor strategy, especially with the profile of the England team still very high.

Users who are viewing this thread