Cricket telecast should be left to the experts

There no need to blame Sahara one for going pay. The fact of the matter is whichever channel buys the satellite rights of the series it will go pay. If espnstar had got it then the pay would have been increased for sure....

harishankar said:
It takes away the enjoyment of watching the game to such an extent that I stop watching it when Hindi is on... I am quite interested in the commentary, so it sucks to watch without the regular commentators.

How can those idiots air their own Hindi commentary ? :mad
According to the BCCI,they can only show and not produce.

If thats the case then then if ESPN gets the rights for the next series,we should be listening to the likes of ESPN commentators and not Nimbus ones.

Cricket in Australia is slowely getting taken from Free to Air TV, we use to get the series like the one now on TV, but not no longer. We have to get Pay TV to watch it, but you can't just get a couple of channels, you have to get a heap for a minimum of $50 a month.

Nimbus' graphics warmed on me as the first test match went on. I do feel though that their attempt at something resembling Hawkeye without actually being it was dreadful. I would prefer it if the statistical graphs were shown two dimensionally, rather than three dimensionally.
Here in England all cricket matches are now shown by BSkyB, which is a satellite network available in different formats, like Sky Digital and Sky+ (I have both in different rooms of my house). My family pays somewhere in the region of ?40 per month, which isn't too dear considering the quality you get. It would be more if you payed for Sky Movies, but we stick with Entertainment and Sports.

SkateBoarder said:
Here in England all cricket matches are now shown by BSkyB, which is a satellite network available in different formats, like Sky Digital and Sky+ (I have both in different rooms of my house). My family pays somewhere in the region of ?40 per month, which isn't too dear considering the quality you get. It would be more if you payed for Sky Movies, but we stick with Entertainment and Sports.

It's dear enough to do alot of harm to future of the sport in this country.

Well they seem to have HawkEye for this match, they must have invested in a computer.

Picture quality seems to have been improved a little too.

Be nice if they gave the TMS crew a monitor though...
I don't mind not being able to watch the game on tv, but I do mind the people telling me about it not being able to watch it on tv. The commentary has been lousy because there are no replays and they can't see what's happening.

barmyarmy said:
Be nice if they gave the TMS crew a monitor though...
I don't mind not being able to watch the game on tv, but I do mind the people telling me about it not being able to watch it on tv. The commentary has been lousy because there are no replays and they can't see what's happening.

Gosh that's pretty poor, and I doubt it'd be too hard for a professional crew to gain access to a tv, although it obviously must be....

Still can't believe that the TMS crew were effectively evicted from their commentary box by another Indian radio station! It was quite odd hearing all the noise in the press box. Considering their lack of facilities I think they did pretty well.

The telestrator is being shown, but I still cannot see dartfish.

I thought that the BCCI had some strict rules for channels broadcasting Indian matches, like showing things such as Dartfish. :)

But BCCI has made it compulsory for channels that show their matches to show the dartfish. :)

harishankar said:
Quite frankly I'm disappointed with the fact that Nimbus sold the rights to Sahara for this England-India series. Sahara suddenly decided to cash in cynically on this and made their Sahara One channel a pay channel. So we are going back to DD National (we Indian viewers). And to top it off we're stuck with "Fair and Lovely Fourth Umpire" before and after the game and have to listen to the tripe which Charu Sharma and company churn out.
Whose force feeding u to watch? If u dont appreciate the work put on DD, just quit seeing them. Just watch the match & not other things. BTW its now TCL (chinese Co) which is sponsoring & not Levers. Just shows ppl just want to criticise which they dont see. PATHETIC.

We still get the telecast through DD National but the point is that compare this production of the India Pakistan with Ten Sports. Uninterrupted telecast, great commentary team and excellent camera work.
So whats the big pt? Go beg them to come & prod for urself.

On the production side, Nimbus has some quality problems as well and the telecast keeps getting interrupted by "Camera" breaks. Overall the video quality is poor and even the camera work is nowhere close to expert quality. They also lack enhanced features like hawkeye and super slow motion.
Tell me are u novice or avid fan? Really u r ignorant.

Quite frankly I think there should be a Law stating that only Sports Channels and regular, professional sports broadcasters can bid for the telecast rights of cricket series in the future.
Nobody in the first place stopped them to bid. They did bid & lost.

We shell out so much cash to watch top channels like ESPN, Ten Sports, Star Sports and such and yet end up with a crap channel like Sahara (who wouldn't have any viewers before and after this series is over) who suddenly decide that they need to become a pay channel. They are screwing the viewers who pay hefty cash to watch their favourite sports channels which don't get the rights to important cricketing events like this. This is a travesty of justice...
Had SUN tv won, then rest of non tamil;s would have said the same.

Cricket is not just about viewing the game. The quality of production, commentary and the overall professionalism of the broadcaster matters a lot.
And its u who will decide those parameters?

What do you think?
U need a check up of ur head, if u have one in the first place.

harishankar said:
What annoys me is that the BCCI didn't care for the cricket lovers in this country before deciding on Telecast rights. I know that cash is important, but they make so much money anyway that they could have allowed a major sports broadcaster to telecast this even if they got a little bit less.
And u would have compensated for that? Ur understanding of finances is really screwed. BCCI made 90% of the revenues with sale of right(telecast) & u want them to forgo that b'coz u cannot adapt to newer enviournment.

With Ten Sports/ESPN/Star we at least are assured of a fairly good production quality and good commentary and excellent camera work by professionals who know their job. The current telecast by Nimbus is shoddy: camera work is unprofessional and the video quality is also poor - keeps getting interrupted by "camera" problems and we are left watching blank screens for long periods of time.
Do u know how many series have ESPN/STAR have produced? It was just one, yeah u read correctly BIG one when the first bidding process under dalmiya was setforth. What a great record. All that this channel has done is just telecast.

That is quite a rant, rituraj. If you have seen BSkyB's quality coverage here in England, you will certainly have a different view of Doordashan.

Users who are viewing this thread