CURRENT best pacer around?

deerkick

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I just wanted to start a discussion about who everyone thinks is the best pace bowler around currently. I've seen Dale Steyn, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Stuart Broad, Anderson, Flintoff, Zaheer, Sharma and Ntini bowl this year and I'd have to say Flintoff's been the best ever since his comeback against South Africa.

Sure Steyn has a far better average atm (I think), SA have already played Bangladesh twice already so it seems a bit unfair. He did do well in India but was kinda bad in England so I'm not sure I can rate him just yet. I wanna see him against the Aussies first. That being said, Flintoff just seems like England's go to guy when the going gets tough. His bowling is very consistent and he has the pace and bounce. Thoughts?

Steyn. The stats back me up with amazing averages, strike rates and wicket tallies i test cricket this year. You mentioned Flintoff, Anderson and Broad but didn't mention Sidebottom who is easily the best English bowler. Anderson is inconsistent and Broad is just horrible in test cricket.

It's between Steyn and Lee for sure, Steyn is in better form but this is where it gets tough for Steyn, he's never played against Australia so his record can't be considered complete.

Lee wasn't that great in India so that puts a dampner on his year.

True, but not many pace bowlers are. If I remember correctly, Steyn wasn't that great there either.

Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, Stuart Broad, Lee, Johnson (getting lots of wickets lately).

Steyn will have to prove himself against Australians though, he did well against England in the tests but got thrashed in the one day matches so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

True, but not many pace bowlers are. If I remember correctly, Steyn wasn't that great there either.

Seems you've remembered incorrectly. In India, Steyn took 15 wickets at 20.20 from 3 Matches. Steyn in Australia will be the big test for him, I'm sure he'll do well though, he's got everything really. Pace, swing, bounce, and control. The only reason he struggled in England is because injury meant he only played 2 games, one of which was on a ridiculously flat Lord's pitch. I'd take Steyn over Lee atm. Both are top class though.

Steyn and Lee weren't too hot in India, Steyn did better though.

I'm going with Zaheer, because he's been able to bowl long spells, hold up and end, and still look threatening. Not many seamers manage that. Plus, he outdid a lot of batsmen he got out and was lethal with the new ball, did just wait for wickets. Was very unlucky against Australia, but did brilliantly elsewhere. If Steyn clicks against the Aussies, then I'll go for him.

ZoraxDoom added 2 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Seems you've remembered incorrectly. In India, Steyn took 15 wickets at 20.20 from 3 Matches. Steyn in Australia will be the big test for him, I'm sure he'll do well though, he's got everything really. Pace, swing, bounce, and control. The only reason he struggled in England is because injury meant he only played 2 games, one of which was on a ridiculously flat Lord's pitch. I'd take Steyn over Lee atm. Both are top class though.
I think I showed in an earlier thread that majority of Steyn's wickets were tailenders. I remember watching him and seeing him struggle to make a huge impact. It was better than Lee though, he couldn't even get the tailenders out :p

Mitchell Johnson the best pace bowler around? You're surely joking? I'll admit now that he's decent, fantastic pace with his strong shoulder action, but he only moves the ball 1 way, and gets far too many cheap wickets to be considered the best in the world. Lee, Steyn and Sharma are miles ahead of the rest for me. Anderson could be up there if he gained consistency all around the world, but atm no chance. Stuart Broad is one of the best ODi bowlers though, he's class, just can't do it in Tests atm.

Well guys if you're talking of Pace then it's none other than brett lee and Dan I totally agree with you that if Anderson gets consistency he'll be a great Pacer...He bowled too good against India in 2007..

Users who are viewing this thread