CURRENT best pacer around?

Tests: Steyn, no contest
ODIs: Bracken, no contest, once more.

Steyn is easily the best test bowler but he's useless in the limited over format. If you want best bowler for both, I'd have to go with Brett Lee and Ishant Sharma very rapidly closing the gap.

I'd go Steyn, Lee has started to lose his outswing and pace of late which takes our his two main weapons. But I await the contest they will have in a few weeks which should clear any doubt to who is the best paceman.

Steyn and Lee. atm I would take Steyn, Austrlia will prove to be a big challenge but he is good enough now to have a good tour.

Last edited:
Mitchell Johnson the best pace bowler around? You're surely joking? I'll admit now that he's decent, fantastic pace with his strong shoulder action, but he only moves the ball 1 way, and gets far too many cheap wickets to be considered the best in the world. Lee, Steyn and Sharma are miles ahead of the rest for me. Anderson could be up there if he gained consistency all around the world, but atm no chance. Stuart Broad is one of the best ODi bowlers though, he's class, just can't do it in Tests atm.

Broad, one of best ODI bowlers in the world, lol he isn't that good. He is good but not top 5-10.

Nathan Bracken is the best ODI bowler in the world.

As for Johnson, he is in good form but he's not the best in the world by a long shot.

Tests: Steyn, no contest
ODIs: Bracken, no contest, once more.
It's an interesting predicament, isn't it? Australia's Test team can't find a reason to include Bracken and South Africa's ODI team includes Steyn at significant expense so far.

Personally, I think Steyn will be underwhelming. I know he can bowl some great balls, but I know some of these Australian batsmen are capable of resisting dozens of great balls. Sure, he has bowled as well as anyone against the teams he has played, but that's no precedent for knocking over Australia's top and middle order. Steyn has an impressive ability, but I expect his average and strike rate will climb as he plays more cricket against Australia, England and India.

Mitchell Johnson the best pace bowler around? You're surely joking? I'll admit now that he's decent, fantastic pace with his strong shoulder action, but he only moves the ball 1 way, and gets far too many cheap wickets to be considered the best in the world. Lee, Steyn and Sharma are miles ahead of the rest for me. Anderson could be up there if he gained consistency all around the world, but atm no chance. Stuart Broad is one of the best ODi bowlers though, he's class, just can't do it in Tests atm.
Broad's the most overrated bowler in World Cricket. Nowhere near one of the best bowlers in the world in any form of the game. He rarely looks threatening and only looks good in ODI's because everyone around him isn't any good.

Just wait until Mitchell Johnson destroys your batting lineup in the Ashes next year and shows Broad how to take advantage of good bowling conditions.

It's an interesting predicament, isn't it? Australia's Test team can't find a reason to include Bracken and South Africa's ODI team includes Steyn at significant expense so far.

Personally, I think Steyn will be underwhelming. I know he can bowl some great balls, but I know some of these Australian batsmen are capable of resisting dozens of great balls. Sure, he has bowled as well as anyone against the teams he has played, but that's no precedent for knocking over Australia's top and middle order. Steyn has an impressive ability, but I expect his average and strike rate will climb as he plays more cricket against Australia, England and India.
Very true. Australia's major weakness has always been in India, and against spin. When you consider how few good spinners there are outside the subcontinent today (in fact, there's really none now that Warne is gone), it's not hard to understand why our bowlers favour pace. I think they can really hold their own against Steyn, he's good but I doubt he's that good. He will perform well I'm sure, but he won't dominate.

It has to be Steyn at the moment with Lee behind him. Reckon Sharma will be mentioned as one of the best if he keeps up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread