DBC17 press

If a fish tank full of the artists p*ss is art, then surely video games qualify as creative art?

And about Video games being art. Isn't anything creative an art?

It's hard to label something as "art" when it's a team effort I think - Your next question is usually "who is the artist?" so that's where it falls down.
I would say that certainly games CAN be art - Her Story. Papers Please. Proteus. Notably the first few off the top of my head are all examples where it's a very small team (or individual) that made it.[DOUBLEPOST=1466253258][/DOUBLEPOST]
If a fish tank full of the artists p*ss is art, then surely video games qualify as creative art?

They are officially recognized as creative WORKS... but not necessarily art.

It's hard to label something as "art" when it's a team effort

movies certainly involve a lot of people! many architectures, sculptures from ancient time to this day involve a lot of people and are still considered art!

I would say any form of creative expression combined or solo is art!

I mean, lets take a game like witcher, while its a huge team it still has, creative expression in every individual works there, story writers, quest makers, the attires designed in the game, the world created etc!

I dont believe in the whole work is art only if made by small teams with strapped budget! I mean ya the word creative is often abused by big companies like say EA or ubi but that doesnt really mean all games arent art or that they have to be indied to be called art!

Her story was a nice expression made in the medium, certainly amazing work by the actress and the dev but i would bill it under interactive video medium rather game if you look at it!

It's hard to label something as "art" when it's a team effort I think - Your next question is usually "who is the artist?" so that's where it falls down.
I would say that certainly games CAN be art - Her Story. Papers Please. Proteus. Notably the first few off the top of my head are all examples where it's a very small team (or individual) that made it.[DOUBLEPOST=1466253258][/DOUBLEPOST]

They are officially recognized as creative WORKS... but not necessarily art.

I strongly believe that anything that a human does, collectively or individually, that a computer/robot cannot ever do, follows a certain set of rules yet emerges a unique creation every single time and satisfies the human senses is art.

I strongly believe that anything that a human does, collectively or individually, that a computer/robot cannot ever do, follows a certain set of rules yet emerges a unique creation every single time and satisfies the human senses is art.

I would be interested to know what those things might be. Give it some time and computers/robots will have the ability to do anything. AI and machine learning is coming along leaps and bounds, and when you marry it with advances in quantum computing, literally anything's possible.

I would be interested to know what those things might be. Give it some time and computers/robots will have the ability to do anything. AI and machine learning is coming along leaps and bounds, and when you marry it with advances in quantum computing, literally anything's possible.

If that happens, then we would be their gods and they would have to have a consciousness, thus becoming a being themselves. And thus my statement will once again hold true...! What I meant by computers or robots was a collections of tasks accomplished by following a set of rules where the final outcome is already known and tested.

Behind every great computer is a great human.

movies certainly involve a lot of people! many architectures, sculptures from ancient time to this day involve a lot of people and are still considered art!

I would say any form of creative expression combined or solo is art!

I mean, lets take a game like witcher, while its a huge team it still has, creative expression in every individual works there, story writers, quest makers, the attires designed in the game, the world created etc!

I dont believe in the whole work is art only if made by small teams with strapped budget! I mean ya the word creative is often abused by big companies like say EA or ubi but that doesnt really mean all games arent art or that they have to be indied to be called art!

Her story was a nice expression made in the medium, certainly amazing work by the actress and the dev but i would bill it under interactive video medium rather game if you look at it!

I would also add music to this list as well. Can certainly be done by multiple people, yet has always been considered art

It's a little tongue in cheek (as you know sometimes what I am saying is not what I am saying... :p)

I helped get the Australian Government to put a fund together and it was very successful, Poland copied our fund because of our success, our newly elected Government then killed the fund in their first budget. So me saying we should copy Poland was probably a little cheeky to those who know.

@Ross seems you have succeeded :D

Senate comittee calls for successor to the Australian Interactive Games Fund be instigated | Asia Pacific games industry news | MCV Pacific

Users who are viewing this thread