Review Demo impressions thread

Are you people sure that the demo is an earler build of the game?I hope it should be so that the bugs like player ratings:p and the AI bowling the same lengths can be adjusted;).Now can't wait for the pc demo any longer.....

How is Monty better than Broad and Anderson with the bat? Now fair enough, Swann being in the 50's for batting (because he opens in OD games for Notts) but how is Monty in the forties.

A lot of them seem odd... Flintoff rated so high with the bat (and arguably low with the ball)... Hughes rated higher than Katich with the bat!

Because for it to get through Xbox's system it takes atleast a week, probably more.
In that case would pc demo also be an older build? Coz I don't think for PC's it will take that much time.

To release a demo on PC is quite easy, as there's no one that needs to proof check it like Microsoft or Sony.

I think its a good move myself, but i'm biased, I have an Xbox.

Codies know that people are going to be making little mods to increase the length of the game on PC, so to try to keep that to a minimum I expect they're holding back.

Codies know that people are going to be making little mods to increase the length of the game on PC, so to try to keep that to a minimum I expect they're holding back.

I don't think so bcz Pc demo is going to release next week.Demo expander can be made even then and glitches can be found.we still have 1 week for release na....

I have been following these forums for the last 2 years but have never left a comment.
Hi to everyone firstly.
I have had all of the BLIC games since 99 which was by far the best cricket game made in my opinion and after playing the demo I truly believe Ashes 09 will match it.

Pro's

- Lords looks great
- Bowling is much more realistic for example. I've bowled a short one, the AI tried hooking it for six got a top edge and flew over a despairing Matt Prior for 4. If you bowl in the wrong areas the AI will punish you.AI Also play shots into the gaps in your field.
- Batting is still difficult even on Normal on my first attempt I only made 9/3. You really need to time your shots effectively, attacking perfect balls can often end up with edges if timing is out.
- I love the fact that player scores\Averages will update after every match. (Altho there are some issues with this it would seem see below)
- LBW appeals can be turned down even if hawkeye suggests it was out, adds a touch of realism.
- Electronic scoreboard looks awesome
- Batsmen\Bowling confidence really does work for example after losing 3 wickets in 7 balls Flintoff came in and was "hesitant" this made attacking shots very difficult to master until I played a few defensive shots and got his confidence up
- Catching system is fun altho difficult
- End of match celebrations were good

Cons

- Hard to see ball in outfield in normal time and replays
- Bowling speeds are not realistic but I believe this is to be sorted before release according to one of the planetcricket guys who reviewed the game?
- Averages constantly change for example on the Bowling selector screen Anderson had a AVG R of 31 then when in game his stats came up with a Bowling average of 11 and then 5 a few balls later?

I've also read on gamespot there is to be no rain delays on Test matches or One dayers, although after listening to Jonathan Agnew commenting just before the coin toss on one game he mentioned it was very stormy and he doubted that we'd get a full games play. Can anyone confirm if rain delays are too be included as the weather plays a huge part in cricket in real life?

Overall I was mightily impressed with the game and I will definately be rushing out to get my copy come the day of release. I would also like to add that I'm quite a hard to please gamer and hated the BLIC 07 demo.

@Chrystovski

How was the AI varying the length to you?was it mixing it's deliveries?what mode were you playing the game?

When I saw those videos, the commentary reminded me of BLIC 99's. ;) Like everyone here, I am also cursing Codies for not releasing the demo in PC. :mad

I received a generic email from Codies saying "We are planning a PS3 demo for Ashes Cricket 2009 but do not have an exact date for this yet unfortunately."

So take what you will from that.

I'm guessing that mean the demo wont come out this week but will come out the thursday the day before release date. could still be 30th but then they would have said the 30th not give like a we dont know when to release it answer from it.

When I saw those videos, the commentary reminded me of BLIC 99's. ;) Like everyone here, I am also cursing Codies for not releasing the demo in PC. :mad

I don't think the commentary has changed at all since then, Shane Warne apart and even then, he's probably got the lines of the second commentator from that game. Lazy yes, but I don't really care much about the commentary if the game is amazing.

I have been following these forums for the last 2 years but have never left a comment.
Hi to everyone firstly.
I have had all of the BLIC games since 99 which was by far the best cricket game made in my opinion and after playing the demo I truly believe Ashes 09 will match it.

Pro's

- Lords looks great
- Bowling is much more realistic for example. I've bowled a short one, the AI tried hooking it for six got a top edge and flew over a despairing Matt Prior for 4. If you bowl in the wrong areas the AI will punish you.AI Also play shots into the gaps in your field.
- Batting is still difficult even on Normal on my first attempt I only made 9/3. You really need to time your shots effectively, attacking perfect balls can often end up with edges if timing is out.
- I love the fact that player scores\Averages will update after every match. (Altho there are some issues with this it would seem see below)
- LBW appeals can be turned down even if hawkeye suggests it was out, adds a touch of realism.
- Electronic scoreboard looks awesome
- Batsmen\Bowling confidence really does work for example after losing 3 wickets in 7 balls Flintoff came in and was "hesitant" this made attacking shots very difficult to master until I played a few defensive shots and got his confidence up
- Catching system is fun altho difficult
- End of match celebrations were good

Cons

- Hard to see ball in outfield in normal time and replays
- Bowling speeds are not realistic but I believe this is to be sorted before release according to one of the planetcricket guys who reviewed the game?
- Averages constantly change for example on the Bowling selector screen Anderson had a AVG R of 31 then when in game his stats came up with a Bowling average of 11 and then 5 a few balls later?

I've also read on gamespot there is to be no rain delays on Test matches or One dayers, although after listening to Jonathan Agnew commenting just before the coin toss on one game he mentioned it was very stormy and he doubted that we'd get a full games play. Can anyone confirm if rain delays are too be included as the weather plays a huge part in cricket in real life?

Overall I was mightily impressed with the game and I will definately be rushing out to get my copy come the day of release. I would also like to add that I'm quite a hard to please gamer and hated the BLIC 07 demo.

Agreed, it would be nonsensical to have no bad light or rain delays.

Amen to that, has anyone been in contact with the designers to find out why?

Hopefully, they intend to give the PC the best (latest) build.

Of course another thing to consider is that the 360 demo is an earlier build, and thus less refined!

Is that confirmed then? Is the 360 demo definitely an older build?

Once again, any release date for PC demo?

@Chrystovski

How was the AI varying the length to you?was it mixing it's deliveries?what mode were you playing the game?

The main thing I noticied that if the bowler wasn't confident they'd bowl it too full or too short. When confident the length bowled was spot on and the ball was alot more difficult to hit\attack causing me to play defensive shots.

I've mostly been playing on normal but have played on hard also.
Hard is difficult in my opinion i'm suprised to hear that others are slogging without losing wickets. After playing the game I'm convinced that if you slogged in a full test match you'd be all out by lunch with less then 150.

As most people on here know ( If you done wow) the demo is out for gold membership users on XBL.

PC and PS3 users no need to worry. We have read all the positive comments and seen some great videos thanks to XBL users. But by waiting for our demo or the real game it gets us excited for it.

PS3 users are yet to find out if they we have a demo this Thursday when the psn store updates BUT if a PC demo comes out and the PS3 don't bring a demo out PS3 users DO NOT WORRY.

My advice -
Download the PC demo, yes its a pc demo and not a ps3 one but its better than nothing.
Then - connect your ps3 wireless controller using the cable to your pc USB port.

This link should tell you the drives you will need to download. I hope this helps.
Duelshock 3 Hack Use For PC [NEW] - NextGenUpdate

Yes I will be pre-ordering this game, after play-testing it. What about you MasterBlaster 76?

High possibility of it. I'll be waiting for the PC demo obviously, in the hope that some of the issues with the Xbox 360 demo have been fixed (PC newer build hopefully), but either way, none of these issues should affect multiplayer or online, so it'll probably be worth getting for that alone. And I have high hopes for singleplayer as well. I asked who was still preordering it because the tone of reviews had taken a gradual negative slant as the thread went on, but when's all said and done, I think this is the rightful successor to BLIC 99. Finally. :)

Users who are viewing this thread