Designing an AI Engine for Cricket

Before it goes off the handle, I'm pretty sure every test playing nation has at some point been caught or suspected of all form of ball tampering. From dirt in the pocket to bottle top goughing; jelly beans and Murray mint juice, and to a lesser extent, throwing the ball in on the bounce; short deliveries etc. It isn't restricted to Indian or Pakistani cricketers.
However if certain things that happen in the game had an effect on the ball and it's behaviour i.e wear from hitting hoardings or stadiums, or poor throwing when fielding may stop the new ball swinging earlier etc I'd be for it as it does happen and is recognized as a part of the sport. Any inclusion of a "ball tampering button" or a way to cheat in the game would absolutely turn me away from the game. I play video games for the representation of all that's good about he sport I love. What's next spitting in FIFA?

It isn't restricted to Indian or Pakistani cricketers.

No one here has said that pal... not one!

Any inclusion of a "ball tampering button" or a way to cheat in the game would absolutely turn me away

That was just a joke, so no need to get all cranky about it... Besides, if ithere was a tamper button...it wouldn't be cheating! because everyone would know about anyway

as it does happen and is recognized as a part of the sport

Yeah exactly!! ...some teams are just better at it, thats all! .. and im not saying i've never seen it happen personally, because I have... and I actually rate it! So yeah

Thanks for the feedback; digressions notwithstanding

A few clarifications:
1. It isn't my intention to develop a full fledged cricket game. The last few lines in my blog post which mention the integration into a graphical engine was me being somewhat wishful, as I simply don't have the time to actually develop a full game. My main intention was to shed light on a particular approach to the cricket AI problem.
2. I released the code open source and with an extremely permissive license so anyone can download and use the engine in any game they have.
3. If anyone (especially someone from BigAnt) working on a cricket game is indeed interested in using my engine or developing their own based on the techniques described there I'm more than happy to help answer any questions. Send me a PM

Users who are viewing this thread