Did Lara sacrifice a possible win to score 400?

Did Lara sacrifice a possible win to score 400?
Even if he did, there is nothing wrong in it.
Such records are rare and that's why only one man has done it till now.

If there is an opportunity to create history and that to in a game where a victory would hardly mean anything (WI had already lost the series) then there is nothing wrong in grabbing the opportunity with open arms.

The Windies attack of that time lacked the teeth required to demolish a strong England batting lineup. They failed to do so in the previous tests of the series and none can blame Lara for thinking that it might happen again. While I think that he batted just a bit longer that he ideally would have if he was not nearing 400, I think I would have done the same if I had been in his shoes. Furthermore, it was just the first innings of the match so it was obviously and it was not that WI would be tearing the Poms apart to register a win given our weak bowling attack. What I really think is Lara, while keep his personal milestone in mind in the latter part of the innings went for the survival instinct -- that to be safe and to be honest, even a draw at that time was a great confidence booster. A win would have been the best of course. Also, if you take a close look at the scorecard you will realize he played at a strike rate of almost 70 (68.72 to be precise) so I do not think he dragged it for about another 100 runs after scoring a triple. That said, on any other day with 400 not in the radar, I think he would have declared when the team total went past 700 run mark but 50 odd runs does not make a huge difference in a match like that, do they. I mean England still had 5 wickets in the bag in the second innings. There was not much chance we would have won even if Lara would have declared, say 10-15 overs earlier.

Brian did the right thing. england barely struggled in the second innings so there was no result on that pitch anyway

worth remembering that with Sobers having the record for so long, then Lara having it, the WI saw it sort of as "their" record.

Lara regaining it and taking it back off Hayden was a huge boost to the morale of the side and fans of the region.

the short answer is no. the state of the series, match and windies general performance meant scoring a personal victory was fine. cricket does give more credence to individual efforts than other team sports so I think it was fair enough.

my only problem I have with the 400 is that anything over 300 is a bit of waste of time and not to be taken that seriously. if you can score 300 runs you can score 400, it's just it takes a modicum of luck and you do need a match situation you can justify doing or at least have the time to spare. Clarke could have probably gone past it against india a few years ago for example but felt it was unnecessary.

It boosted Lara's profile massively and I don't think it was really worth the coverage and interest it inspired.

Users who are viewing this thread