Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Regarding the lack of edges, I wonder if it's just simple physics at play.

Now that my bowler is getting some good cutting skills to compliment his swinging skills, I have found the number of nicks are improving (that being said, one of my first proper wickets was a catch by the wicket keeper of a fine nick off the bottom off the bat). Enviromental affects, skills of the AI bowlers, skills of the AI batsmen.. confidence.. all those things could be playing their part into the absence of movement of the ball and making it easier/harder for the AI batsmen to judge the position of the ball. Without having all these things informed, it's hard to work out if it's a gameplay bug or just a nature of the game. Also field set could be affecting what type of shots the AI batsmen are more inclined to play, thereby affecting the likely hood of a edge.

Also explains why sometimes players may not be called up to bowl during a match.. the match conditions do not fit in with what you can bring to the team so the captain does not rely on you.. also why part time or pure batsmen get called in to bowl, if they just happen to fit the bill and need to fill in some overs for the captain.

Regarding the lack of edges, I wonder if it's just simple physics at play.

Now that my bowler is getting some good cutting skills to compliment his swinging skills, I have found the number of nicks are improving (that being said, one of my first proper wickets was a catch by the wicket keeper of a fine nick off the bottom off the bat). Enviromental affects, skills of the AI bowlers, skills of the AI batsmen.. confidence.. all those things could be playing their part into the absence of movement of the ball and making it easier/harder for the AI batsmen to judge the position of the ball. Without having all these things informed, it's hard to work out if it's a gameplay bug or just a nature of the game. Also field set could be affecting what type of shots the AI batsmen are more inclined to play, thereby affecting the likely hood of a edge.

Also explains why sometimes players may not be called up to bowl during a match.. the match conditions do not fit in with what you can bring to the team so the captain does not rely on you.. also why part time or pure batsmen get called in to bowl, if they just happen to fit the bill and need to fill in some overs for the captain.

I'm avoiding playng career until the first pach because I know the linking issues would annoy the hell out of me...

But...

I've played a number of test matches (Pro) on a number of different surfaces with and against different opponents and am yet to see an edge be taken by the slips. Which is disappointing because I'm sure when batting in the nets some of the edges looked like they would be flying towards the slips cordon.

When bowling in tests I like to aim for a fourth stump line and set a "traditional" test field (3 slips, gully) but can only get edges to keeper... Occasionally a ball will go towards first slip (or maybe it just looks that way becasue of the way he dives across behind the keeper) but the super-keeper will always come across and collect it.

It seems that the "issue" is a combination of edges travelling too fine and the keeper's range being too good...

Disclaimer 1: I'm not saying this is a bug as such, just my personal observations from an admittedly small sample space

Disclaimer 2: I have had a catch go to gully off a spinner; which I dropped - presumably because I was in shock :spy

The game do not have Ravi Shashtri as commentator but it has his usual clich? "Just what the doctor ordered". :yes
He might come up with up patent violation issue :lol

Personally ive had loads of catches go to slips. A few even saw the third slip dive in front of second to grab a low chance that may not have carried which was awesome...
Also had a few go through the vacant slips after i failed to change the field to a new batsman :mad

Personally ive had loads of catches go to slips. A few even saw the third slip dive in front of second to grab a low chance that may not have carried which was awesome...
Also had a few go through the vacant slips after i failed to change the field to a new batsman :mad

What difficulty were you playing on?

The AI batting on pro seems absolutely baffling. 85 overs bowled against them in my last match, not a single edge, not a knick, not a catch or even a chance at one. 20 wickets from being bowled and lbw. Words cannot describe how bizarre that is to witness. To summarise why it's so odd though:

- Every over there were at least two close play and misses
- They slogged it over the in field at least once every second over
- About half of the 20 wickets came from a missed slog attempt

So it seems that basically, on pro difficultly, the AI shots have two modes: Hit and miss. If it's hit, it stays hit and the fielders aren't allowed near it, and if it's a miss, no biggy unless it was going on to hit the stumps.

About 10 odd first class games in now and I've only seen the wicket keeper and slips called in for a catch a whole about 3 times, and one of those was a mistimed attempt at running it down to third man.

I edge it all the time, that doesn't seem to be an issue. But the AI, they just seem to be unable to edge the damn ball. It's either a complete airswing or a absolutely middled. I do see far more catches (not in the slips) normally from them trying to hit it over or a mistimed drive, but edges just aren't happening.

Did I mention that they don't seem to edge or knick the ball to the keeper or slips.

I 100% agree that when YOU are bowling as a FAST BOWLER the AI hardly ever edges the ball. I'm playing on veteran and bowl plenty maidens. I get heaps of plays as misses but I can only think of one time when the batsman actually edged it. This is after bowling hundreds of overs to both top and lower order batsman.

I don't even bother putting slips in. You are far better putting fielders in the deep or positions where they will catch the ball when it gets slogged.

The lack of edges is the worst part of the game for me at the moment. The AI fast bowlers seem to get edges, but not when I am bowling 158km/h outswingers/seamers. You just don't get rewarded properly for bowling tight, good balls consistently.

Has anyone tried the offline multiplayer? Likelihood is that's what I'll be spending most of my time doing initially - my brother and I have a long running rivalry dating back to Brian Lara Cricket.

Haven't played multiplayer, but bowling with the batting camera is better than batting with the bowling camera.

Haven't played multiplayer, but bowling with the batting camera is better than batting with the bowling camera.

Unfortunately I think it will be like the NHL games, where it just isn't possible to play local co-op with the same fluency as single player/online multiplayer, because someone has to do everything in reverse.

Good to hear although you seem to be in a narrow minority - any tips?

Meanwhile I guess I'll just keep plugging away in that corridor of uncertainty

Good to hear although you seem to be in a narrow minority - any tips?

Meanwhile I guess I'll just keep plugging away in that corridor of uncertainty

Well i dont really have any tips as i dont really have a certain way i go about it.
I suppose i try to bowl to a plan like a real bowler would. I try to set up the batsman. I might bowl 4-5 balls an over (sometimes maybe 9-10 over two overs) nagging away at the same line and length, with little or no swing or movement, then really crank one up and pitch it up and/or throw it out a bit wider. Sometimes they will spank it but other times i draw and edge. Even something as simple as bowling 5 inswingers then 1 outswinger has worked on occasion. But i think Line/Length and consistency really matter....
then again it may all be a fluke :noway

Edit: I might add that the Ai still score quite well against me. even on amateur they can still get 200+ regularly. Its just that the majority of my wickets (when i do take them)
are probably(in order):
1. caught behind (slips and keeper)
2. LBW
3. Bowled
4.caught in field

Last edited:
Nope. I havent bowled in career. All these instances have been either in tour mode, competition mode, or a casual game, usually with random pitches and weather etc...
I will say though that ive had a fair bit of luck using south africa

Users who are viewing this thread