Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Are you using the defensive shot trigger at all. The more it is depressed, the more defensive the shot. Holding it down all the way will basically kill the ball. Slightly depressed you can play a soft shot around the ground.

Yes, even if you depress it slightly, it kills the ball. I've barely pressed R2 and the guy plays a complete defensive shot.

I don't think I've seen anyone on youtube be able to place the ball

Also, I've noticed from the pinwheel of shots that many shots always follow the exact same trajectory - the lines for the shots are super imposed over each other.

And I am not able to hit the ball into midwicket or proper cover in some angles.
There's a corridor where the ball never seems to end up. Now this could be my skill or timing or whatever but I've never seen a video (yet) of someone hitting the ball proper to deep midwicket (i.e. between sq leg umpire and mid on) along various angles.

Okay so I got this game yesterday. I started playing 6.30 in the evening and got up 10.30. I would like to mention @BigAntStudios no previous cricket game even when it was new has made me sit on one place for such a long time,. You guys on your first attempt to make a sport which no one bothers to even put a finger to it have really have a strong foundation. I do not care what other people say but for me its a game worth every single penny. As you guys have mentioned various time this game definitely has the longevity. There might not be 20-30 stadiums but whatever amount of stadiums are present have quality. There might not be licenses but there are awesome people whose hardwork has given me and the community real almost faces and teams. KUDOS to them :cheers.

I am not a hardcore gamer and when I play I usually get my hands on sports genre. I love this game and I really thank you for giving us this game. :clap

I really hate this game :spy. I got this game a week back and since then I have lost my sleep. Everyday I wake up and finish all my work in a hurry and sit in front of the TV for two to three hours bcoz of DBC:(. I work in the evening shift and come home by twelve in the night. I can't go to bed without playing this game atleast for one hour. Even at work. I am madly thinking abt nmy career player and when is he gonna reach the international level :facepalm. I hate you DBC and I hate Bigant studio and TRU BLU.

But I am happy that every penny i spent on this game is worth kudos to everyone:clap. Really appreciate your hard and awesome work.:thumbs

Hi Ross and Bigant

How about developing an overlay during the game showing total number of sixes hit in a tournament or series during the actual game itself?

Regards
Riz

Posts like these just makes it so hard for us PC users to wait. It will be even harder when Xbox/PS3 users will be playing with 2nd patch. But by that time most probably the steam release won't be far :)

On the other hand the PC game will not have to go through the teething process
being gone through now. Hopefully much of that which can be improved will have filtered itself into the PC game.

AI Fielding
AI Field placements and use of new ball (new ball is taken and promptly a spinner uses it....)
Better AI recognition of game situation
Better AI batting intelligence
Better all round AI captaincy

if these things can be fixed or tightened up or bought more into balance then it will be a fantastic game.

What we also need for further development are other stadiums or a stadium editor or creator. A kit creator and editor, pitch editor etc era would be brilliant.

I am sure these things will come along once the PC version is out there.

Best cricket game so far!

Firstly, i want to start by saying just how great of a job Big Ant have done. Being in the UK the wait for the game was extremely frustrating, especially the fact that it cost ?50! Anyway, after playing a few games i started to pick up on the new controls and overall feel of the game. I then moved on to a career as a leg spin bowler playing on pro.

The positives:

1. The new controls just make the experience feel so much more real and less systematic from previous games.

2. The pitch and weather has a clear effect on the ball and game in general.

3. Batting can be frustrating but it makes you really work for your runs.

4. Already we have the first patch!

5. Overall, it is just so much more detailed and refined than any other cricket game that has come before, so for that Big Ant i salute you.

The negatives: (I understand that some of these will probably be patched at a later date)

1. If wanting to start a career as a bowler start on veteran. I started on pro but found the experience to be way too easy i was getting 10 wicket hauls nearly every game.

2. Now this is one of the biggest issues for me as being a spin bowler. Obviously, at the start of my career i did not expect to induce much turn on the pitch. As my leg break skill was increasing i was getting more revs on the ball, which by the way is a great new addition to the game. However, after maxing out my leg break skill i wouldn't say that it's not turning but compared to what it should be i was left disappointed. In previous cricket games most of the time it was turning too much so i had hoped that this game would find the right amount but i just feel that with the top players there is not enough turn. I did experiment with this by doing a test match with a worn crumbling pitch and yet still no sharp turn. If you watch videos of top spinners Swann, Warne and Ajmal in the right circumstances you can see that sharp turn which just feels impossible to replicate in the game.

3. Speed of the quick bowlers dropping after a few overs.

4. Lack of edges to slips.

5. The commentary. It is awful. I know that Ross said that they hadn't really focused on this but it is just so bad. There is just no emotion it is so monotonous. My advice would be just turn it off and listen to the amazing ambient noise.

Overall, Big Ant have done a great job. Just the fact that we have the first patch already shows their commitment to giving us the best possible game.

I didn't know where to post this so I thought it'd be go here. What a game!!!

It was a 2 day, 2 innings per side, 35 overs per innings game between my XI and Ireland. As you can see I won by 1 wicket with 1 over to spare! At 75 for 8 I though I had no chance but I literally blocked the spinner G. Dodson for overs as I couldn't play him for toffee. The LBW for the 9th wicket was literally skimming the stumps (umpires call) and after that I thought I'd never make it, but somehow I did. Epic innings from Jack Russell and Warne. The winning runs were scored of the last ball of the 34th over (fast-medium bowler), with the dreaded spinner to bowl the last.

Christ, I've never been so nervous and so excited from playing a game before!! Nor have I ever felt the need to publicly share such experiences in detail. Ridiculous.

Note: Yes, I am that bad at the game that I have to play as a best XI type team against a 2 star team to even scrape a victory on pro difficulty. The three runouts were me being cocky trying to take extra runs.

Attachments

• IMAG2614.jpg
    IMAG2614.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG2613.jpg
    IMAG2613.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 11
Had another 'wow' moment. I bowled a ball, it hit the pads and looked plum LBW so appealed and the umpire gave it out. The batsman reviews it, and it turns out he got a tiny inside edge that I could only see on Hotspot.

Ok, so I didn't get the wicket but the fact that this is happening in a computer game I'm playing is just great.

Note: Yes, I am that bad at the game that I have to play as a best XI type team against a 2 star team to even scrape a victory on pro difficulty. The three runouts were me being cocky trying to take extra runs.

As long as you are enjoying the game and having fun, who cares!

Send @Biggs some cake and he'll 'edit' his umpiring 'skills' to your needs.

Hahaha, I was certain that was what I read in the manual;-) but no genuinely, there's no umpire skill editing section, and all the decisions are always right on their behalf?

Spent part of the day building my doppleganger, which was very cool, and most of it making a complete fool of myself in the nets and in practice matches. I'm slowly getting use to the bowling but the batting has put ten years on me already. Other than that I'm very impressed with how deep the game is and how much it feels like real cricket.:thumbs It'll be about 6 months before I start a career though, I think.

Last edited:
I would hope so coz Square button means you want to take a run.

I press it almost instinctively when the fielder has the ball in hand. Sometimes, I am not able to see the fielder swoop in suddenly in the ring.

Frustrating... especially with the default cam.

Users who are viewing this thread