Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Early in my innings point/third man is the only real gap. I have got the square/late cut down now but sadly it's really affected my legside play, missing easy hooks/legside glances :(

Satisfying though i got a T20 50 by smashing through point/third man, they plugged the gap by moving long off, i started driving there, they blocked that with mid on, i got my fours there... Into the 40s before they blocked off my easy boundaries completely, got to 50 off like 20 balls, sadly out shortly after for 51.

Which shot do you play? left stick up and right stick to the right? And to what type of delivery? To the one wide of off? Any tips to play a shot through point would be appreciated.

Early in my innings point/third man is the only real gap. I have got the square/late cut down now but sadly it's really affected my legside play, missing easy hooks/legside glances :(

Satisfying though i got a T20 50 by smashing through point/third man, they plugged the gap by moving long off, i started driving there, they blocked that with mid on, i got my fours there... Into the 40s before they blocked off my easy boundaries completely, got to 50 off like 20 balls, sadly out shortly after for 51.

I find, particular in first class matches, the best method is exactly this. Blocking a lot until they start to leave large gaps where you can target with normal strokes or even aggressive strokes. I just scored 37 off 45 by blocking until they left mid-on and mid-off open and playing aggressive shots straight down the ground. Then when they filled those gaps they moved guys out of square leg and cover so I played it through there. I'm definitely getting more confident with my batting, that's for sure.

Which shot do you play? left stick up and right stick to the right? And to what type of delivery? To the one wide of off? Any tips to play a shot through point would be appreciated.

To get it thru point or backward of point i usually play off the back foot. Easier on a short ball but can be played off a good length.
Anything just out side off move left stick DOWN (ie: "6 o'clock)
and right stick RIGHT (anywhere between 3 and 5 o'clock)
Anything fairly wide of off stump just adjust your footwork to be more back and across,
LEFT stick down and slightly right (4 or 5 o'clock)

Typically back foot, anything wide left stick back, or back and across depending on width, right stick right maybe angled if trying to go third man more.

----------

I find, particular in first class matches, the best method is exactly this. Blocking a lot until they start to leave large gaps where you can target with normal strokes or even aggressive strokes. I just scored 37 off 45 by blocking until they left mid-on and mid-off open and playing aggressive shots straight down the ground. Then when they filled those gaps they moved guys out of square leg and cover so I played it through there. I'm definitely getting more confident with my batting, that's for sure.

I find they seem to move the field quicker if your keep blocking than if youre smashing it through an area. I hit several fours at point/third man, fueld didnt move. Played three forward defensives and long off became silly mid off and extra cover short cover.

I find they seem to move the field quicker if your keep blocking than if youre smashing it through an area. I hit several fours at point/third man, fueld didnt move. Played three forward defensives and long off became silly mid off and extra cover short cover.

Indeed. Then once they move the field you hit it through the region. It seems to be a very effective method

To get it thru point or backward of point i usually play off the back foot. Easier on a short ball but can be played off a good length.
Anything just out side off move left stick DOWN (ie: "6 o'clock)
and right stick RIGHT (anywhere between 3 and 5 o'clock)
Anything fairly wide of off stump just adjust your footwork to be more back and across,
LEFT stick down and slightly right (4 or 5 o'clock)

How do you take guard to play towards point/thirdman, many times I tried with guard little bit outside of leg-stumps and got "bad luck mate". Its really hard to see line in case of fast bowler.:noway

I always take guard with my toes on leg stump.
I use batsman(far) camera for what it's worth also.
Try transparent batsman option too.

Last edited:
I bat with my toes on off-stump, but that's because it is easier and safer to defend from this position. It also means, with the relatively straight lines of AI bowling, I seldom hit it through point and third man though

I am yet to play a late cut to third man. At most I cut square of wickets and that too once in a blue moon. AI does indeed bowl very straight. There are also a few shots that are missing.
1. Slog Sweep
2. Fine Sweep

Also has any of you ever played a pull to a spinner?

I always take guard with my toes on leg stump.
I use batsman(far) camera for what it's worth also.
Try transparent batsman option too.

How to take guard? With which keys? I am on PS3..

I bat with my toes on off-stump, but that's because it is easier and safer to defend from this position. It also means, with the relatively straight lines of AI bowling, I seldom hit it through point and third man though

I tried square cutting the ball a few times and I either got LBW, played on or the ball hit me on the body. AI rarely gives you enough width outside off to play the shot no matter which guard you take.

LS. Left and right.

Also up and down in case you want the batsman to come forward or go back a couple of steps in the crease.

Just a few thoughts after playing the game for a couple of weeks.
I'm enjoying the game a lot, despite the bugs, but the game could be so much better were it to have a few more 'Wow' moments.
I know I've mentioned this before but wouldn't the game be more attractive if you saw the stumps tumbling as they were hit by a 90mph delivery? To see the ball swing, seam and turn a lot, given the correct conditions? I've heard all the talk of deliveries swinging half the width of the pitch, but I've never seen this on any videos. And I've watched quite a few!
When I come on to bowl during a career match I want to know that I have been responsible for the batsman's demise through my own guile. For example: bowling a 90mph inswinging yorker or getting a delivery to swing away from the batsman, taking an outside edge and being caught at third slip by a diving fielder.
I just don't feel, at the moment, that I am getting these memorable moments in the bowling part of the game.
The batting feels almost perfect at the moment. You need sharp reactions, concentration and patience to score well.
When the two parts of the game match, I will be a very happy chappy.

Look what Angad received in his mail today...Awesome...

Attachments

• ype3eqy2.jpg
    ype3eqy2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Just a few thoughts after playing the game for a couple of weeks.
I'm enjoying the game a lot, despite the bugs, but the game could be so much better were it to have a few more 'Wow' moments.
I know I've mentioned this before but wouldn't the game be more attractive if you saw the stumps tumbling as they were hit by a 90mph delivery? To see the ball swing, seam and turn a lot, given the correct conditions? I've heard all the talk of deliveries swinging half the width of the pitch, but I've never seen this on any videos. And I've watched quite a few!
When I come on to bowl during a career match I want to know that I have been responsible for the batsman's demise through my own guile. For example: bowling a 90mph inswinging yorker or getting a delivery to swing away from the batsman, taking an outside edge and being caught at third slip by a diving fielder.
I just don't feel, at the moment, that I am getting these memorable moments in the bowling part of the game.
The batting feels almost perfect at the moment. You need sharp reactions, concentration and patience to score well.
When the two parts of the game match, I will be a very happy chappy.

That would be a nice touch. Seeing a fast bowler knock the stumps back or to send a stump cartwheeling a la BLIC 2005 would be fun to watch. Currently the only time stumps come out of the ground are when you get a direct hit while fielding. No matter how fast you bowl, you barely knock the bails over when the ball hits the stumps.

Users who are viewing this thread