Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

When you say 'saw', you were playing as one of the Aus teams yeah and bowling?

Yes. Even when I batted, it was something along those lines. Career mode is moderately difficult even when you're playing on the easiest ('Pro') difficulty setting. I made my player a batting all-rounder who plays for NSW, who bats at 5 yet is the first change pace bowler for his team, so I probably only made life more difficult for myself (was thinking along the lines of making my player somewhat like a Shane Watson type of player.. albeit less useless).

Can you give us a scorecard of your 4 day game, up to now?

The reason why I said career mode is difficult is because (maybe it was just in my case) your side always seems to get bundled out for low scores if you fail while batting, and the other team seems to gets a sizable lead then bowls you out again and chases down the required 40-50 runs with ease. I'm probably (hopefully!) wrong, but I'm in the middle of my fourth Career game right now but the past 3 games for me have gone somewhat like this:

my team bats first -> my guy walks in at 20/3, 30/3, 40/3 -> (I'm still not great at this game and my player is still new, hence very low on skill points which doesn't help) -> hence I get out for a low score -> team gets bundled out for 200 or thereabouts -> opposition gets a lead of 150-ish (though bowling is fun, and the 'pro' difficulty AI is good with giving you wickets if you bowl good balls that deserve them. I got a good 3-4 wkts or so every innings) -> my team gets bowled out for 200 ish again -> they chase it down

What I don't want to see though is crappy bowling leading to the AI smacking you around the park but constantly getting out, like in IC 10, Ashes 09 and pretty much all cricket games.

AI in DBC still has some work to do but it's better than the game you mentioned, for sure. IC 10 was fun, but you could figure out ways around the AI with ease, I'd play on the hardest difficulty and just bowl off-spin on a day 1 pitch from the first over of the day from both ends and still bowl out the opposition for 50-ish by just bowling around the wicket just on/outside the right hander's off-stump, he'd attempt a sweep 9 balls out of 10 and get caught behind/bowled/lbw 6 of those times.

So the gist of the above post is, that the game is mighty tough. Is not that what we wanted?

So the gist of the above post is, that the game is mighty tough. Is not that what we wanted?

For sure! I appreciate it, it's not really 'complaints', I appreciate this a hell of a lot more than the past games. Career mode is certainly harder than normal match/casual modes but that is realistic, a career for a new 16 year old with not much developed skills in either of the 3 areas of the game would not be easy at all.

I guess you just have to deal with the first few of your games not going so well for you and your team then hopefully it gets better after time as you develop and gain XP.

I would like for you to see if this reverse sweep problem persists if you play an international casual match involving a team other than Australia? If you have time on your hand that is.

I guess you just have to deal with the first few of your games not going so well for you and your team then hopefully it gets better after time as you develop and gain XP.

Did you select the team you play in? If so why didn't you select a better team?

Yes. Even when I batted, it was something along those lines. Career mode is moderately difficult even when you're playing on the easiest ('Pro') difficulty setting. I made my player a batting all-rounder who plays for NSW, who bats at 5 yet is the first change pace bowler for his team, so I probably only made life more difficult for myself (was thinking along the lines of making my player somewhat like a Shane Watson type of player.. albeit less useless).

The reason why I said career mode is difficult is because (maybe it was just in my case) your side always seems to get bundled out for low scores if you fail while batting, and the other team seems to gets a sizable lead then bowls you out again and chases down the required 40-50 runs with ease. I'm probably (hopefully!) wrong, but I'm in the middle of my fourth Career game right now but the past 3 games for me have gone somewhat like this:

my team bats first -> my guy walks in at 20/3, 30/3, 40/3 -> (I'm still not great at this game and my player is still new, hence very low on skill points which doesn't help) -> hence I get out for a low score -> team gets bundled out for 200 or thereabouts -> opposition gets a lead of 150-ish (though bowling is fun, and the 'pro' difficulty AI is good with giving you wickets if you bowl good balls that deserve them. I got a good 3-4 wkts or so every innings) -> my team gets bowled out for 200 ish again -> they chase it down

AI in DBC still has some work to do but it's better than the game you mentioned, for sure. IC 10 was fun, but you could figure out ways around the AI with ease, I'd play on the hardest difficulty and just bowl off-spin on a day 1 pitch from the first over of the day from both ends and still bowl out the opposition for 50-ish by just bowling around the wicket just on/outside the right hander's off-stump, he'd attempt a sweep 9 balls out of 10 and get caught behind/bowled/lbw 6 of those times.

Thanks for the info. The career mode should be easier to produce realistic results in than full on human vs ai matches, because the career mode is really AI vs AI except for one player, and AI vs AI is the easiest to produce a realistic simulation in.

Just watched the 30 previews so thanks to Imhassan. Looks very good but there are problems as ross said there would.

I see people are already worried about the AI, this is the area i have feared the most as no game has ever come close to getting it near perfect.

Still it's early so maybe to early to judge the game now.

For Bigant, a reverse sweep is a show off shot for the shorter forms of the game, test matches it should be more rare. Still i bet this can be fixed in a number of ways.

Can't wait to read the patch and bug thread soon as all games need it.

I see people are already worried about the AI, this is the area i have feared the most as no game has ever come close to getting it near perfect.

I dont think they are worried about the AI as a whole, its just the reverse sweeps and legside bowling at lower difficulties.

Otherwise the runrates are pretty realistic they say.

If you bowl crap you should get hit there is no problem in this and even bad balls can get you wicket if batsman try to throw bat at everything, what is important for AI is that next batsman should not just do the same way but try to built up the inning. Reverse sweep can be problematic if AI keeps on playing it too often.

What make me worried more are few animation things like keeper catching the ball with his back towards the batsman or throwing the ball on the wicket every time he catches (if this is automatic and not human input).

Anyways 5 over match is not the best way to judge and with the video I need to play the game before making any impression and I have my trust on BA and other more experienced reviewers who tried the game (matt and admin from indian gamer) they didnt complain about any of these issues so things will come good.

P.S no offence to anyone who is giving there valuable feedback keep up the work its really good to read so much about it.

By this tomorrow, I will be playing. Is it a necessary to get some time in nets before heading into a casual match?

Loved how in the video the commentators got all excited on a lbw given not out saying stuff like the batsman was lucky to get away with that etc, that made the player review the decision which he eventually lost lol....great stuff...getting screwed by the commentators :lol

Did you select the team you play in? If so why didn't you select a better team?

Yes. You choose your team, any team from the UK County circuit or the Aus competition. Literally all the teams are rated 1 or 2 stars, no clue why. NSW is 2 stars

----------

By this tomorrow, I will be playing. Is it a necessary to get some time in nets before heading into a casual match?

For sure. You'll find it difficult otherwise

Yes. You choose your team, any team from the UK County circuit or the Aus competition. Literally all the teams are rated 1 or 2 stars, no clue why. NSW is 2 stars

----------

For sure. You'll find it difficult otherwise

Can you choose any created teams? If yes, are they rated 1 or 2(stars)?

Users who are viewing this thread