Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

The AI's batting in patch#2 will be a lot better (as in "smarter").

:clap Thanks Ross, don't have the game yet, but already excited to see a more improved DBC 14 for my PC in June.

Can I just say that holy hell, are the ambient sounds lovely. The PA announcer is a really nice touch, especially since it sounds really nice. The atmosphere for tests/first class games are right on; there needs to be a little more pizzaz in OD/T20 games - not goddamn cheerleaders or anything, just music between overs/after big shots. Unironically sounds better than any Madden game with the commentary off. It would have been really sweet had the PA announcer had the ability to say the names of the teams/players; but with the development budget of the game in mind and the fact that its the first iteration, I wasn't expecting that! I was expecting the generic vague PA noise that you get in some lower budget sports games...

Well i am slowly getting the hang of this game. Now easily scoring 170+ in T20 games but i am still bowling the batting team out for less than 70....no competition. I have scored a couple of centuries in T20 games which is enjoyable. The game still needs more balancing as bowling is way too easy!

The sound design is the hidden gem in this game, I play with it cranked right up and the commentary turned off. Every little thing that happens has a genuinely believable, real, sonic reaction. When you clunk a batsman in the helmet, it SOUNDS so rewarding... unless you're batting.

The sound design is the hidden gem in this game, I play with it cranked right up and the commentary turned off. Every little thing that happens has a genuinely believable, real, sonic reaction. When you clunk a batsman in the helmet, it SOUNDS so rewarding... unless you're batting.

Na even if I'm batting it's still rewarding.

Jimmy's done a fine job for sure. He came after the commentary was recorded but is responsible for all else (you can only imagine how bad the commentary was before he got his hands on it).

We've just built a new sound studio for him, really looking forward to hearing what he can do once he's on the job from start to end. Commentary in the next Cricket game will be completely redone from scratch.

Last edited:
Commentary in the next Cricket game will be completely redone from scratch.

Too early to ask but is that sort of an unofficial confirmation of the next iteration?

We've just build a new sound studio for him...

I'd say something like "he's warming my seat" but the guy has done such a great job any smartass comment wouldn't do justice to the great sound design in the game. Cranked up on my speakers at home it's just such a glorious experience. Genuinely can't imagine how you'd improve it next time around... If he ever needs a Riker to his Picard, call me.

Too early to ask but is that sort of an unofficial confirmation of the next iteration?
You don't even need it indirectly, before the game was released they confirmed a sequel.
We were always going to do at least one sequel. The interest from "buyers" from the retailers has been phenomenal from all corners of the globe and has made this game a success already.

In the video with Twistie3 he also mentioned that they are thinking a year and a half of supporting this release with patches and updates - so you know that a 'next' edition will be outside of that window - there'll a sequel, but won't be making minor changes and calling it 'DBC15' - which I certainly applaud as the right thing by consumers.

The game captures the ambiance perfectly but in future I will love to see some local flavor added to sound design. For matches in Sub continent involving India and Pakistan, some Urdu/Hindi comments especially from keeper as in "Shabash shabahs" would add to realism. Eve BLC 99 had some wonderful local addition for sub continent.

Last edited:
The game captures the ambiance perfectly but in future I will love to see some local flavor added to sound design.

Totally agree, absolutely. I think you're on the same page as BigAnt as well, I imagine that's the kinda improvements they'll be looking for sound-wise. I can tell you from first hand experience there is nothing like a packed stadium in Mumbai or Dubai when it comes to the sounds of the crowd, the fans and the culture of cricket!

The game captures the ambiance perfectly but in future I will love to see some local flavor added to sound design. For matches in Sub continent involving India and Pakistan, some Urdu/Hindi comments especially from keeper as in "Shabash shabahs" would add to realism. Eve BLC 99 had some wonderful local addition for sub continent.

What de Hell does Shabash SHabash actually mean mate. Ive heard it a million times and still doesnt know what it means ?

Users who are viewing this thread