Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

You're right, the balance of the game relies on so many elements that we need to be careful not to throw it completely out of whack and fixing the fatigue issue would make the bowlers more dominant than they are. The AI's batting in patch#2 will be a lot better (as in "smarter").

i really think it would be a huge mistake not to address in some manner the bowler fatigue/speed drop off issue. if it does result in an issue of balance, i would think there must be other ways of fixing that rather than retaining a highly unrealistic, frustrating feature.

i also think (i know i'm repeating it ad nauseam, sorry) that the AI field placements and abilities cause a lot of the "batting is too hard" complaints because people don't get value for their shots.

----------

As soon as I had played the game on the day of release, I wanted to come on here and rave about the game and really give it a good review. However, I came on to the message boards and all I could see was dross slating the game and the developers. I thought this was harsh and decided to delay posting on the message board and wait for the anger to calm and also give myself time to play the game thoroughly.
After doing this i see the majority who had been slating the game are still happily playing the game and posting on these forums (Surprise Surprise :facepalm)
Granted the game has a few faults here and there with the gameplay, on the budget Big Ant created the game on this had to be expected. I genuinely believe it would take a lot for a company like EA to produce a cricket sim anywhere near the quality of this. The market for cricket games isn't massive so I doubt we will see a lot of competition, but do we need it? I dont think we do! With all the customisation and depth of players and teams in the academy DB14 is more than enough to keep even the most avid fan happy.
I have been playing for around 3 weeks now on and off with work and the GF in the ear, I believe I will have amassed around 30/40 hours. In those hours you get used to the few glitches there are in the game and find that different genuine cricket strategies actually work which hasn't been achieved in any of the previous titles on the market. I played a full test match ENGvAUS from the winter both teams scoring around 360 in the first innings and AUS posted 280 in the 2nd. Leaving me with 301 to chase which I didn't achieve unfortunately, however a test match is a pretty good way to test the longevity of a game and it held up well, the commentary gets a bit dull but other than that it stayed entertaining till the end.

People who have been put off buying this game I hope I change your minds, because the people who enjoy moaning will moan about anything no matter what. If needs be, wait until patch 2 and you will have a very enjoyable cricket game with plenty of gaming hours to keep you entertained! :cheers

WTAF... almost nobody here has slated the game. almost everybody has said it's a fantastic, fun game. it has issues, some major, there is no denying it and it's pointless and counter-productive to pretend otherwise or not communicate to the developer (who is actually listening and responding) what we think needs improving. you're suggesting what - we ignore the fact we have a developer who wants to know our thoughts and we just say "great, smashing, super" and not say what needs to be improved?

there is an entire thread that somebody started to "slate" the game... you can see from the responses there that is nowhere near the majority view. ridiculous.

Imo, for fast bowlers fatigue should set in after 4 overs spell ie should be able to bowl at their top speed for 4 overs, for fast/medium bowlers it should be after 6 overs spell, for spin bowler it should be after 8-10 over spell.

i also think (i know i'm repeating it ad nauseam, sorry) that the AI field placements and abilities cause a lot of the "batting is too hard" complaints because people don't get value for their shots.

I actually think that the AI field placement allows you to get some free runs :p!!

Try playing online when people set their fields and actually bowl according to it :noway

i really think it would be a huge mistake not to address in some manner the bowler fatigue/speed drop off issue. if it does result in an issue of balance, i would think there must be other ways of fixing that rather than retaining a highly unrealistic, frustrating feature.

----------

WTAF... almost nobody here has slated the game. almost everybody has said it's a fantastic, fun game. it has issues, some major, there is no denying it and it's pointless and counter-productive to pretend otherwise or not communicate to the developer (who is actually listening and responding) what we think needs improving. you're suggesting what - we ignore the fact we have a developer who wants to know our thoughts and we just say "great, smashing, super" and not say what needs to be improved?

there is an entire thread that somebody started to "slate" the game... you can see from the responses there that is nowhere near the majority view. ridiculous.

Also you can make the game instantly realistic by just playing historical matches from the 1920s, where anecdotal reports say that most bowlers were ~120 km/h, with a few exceptions like Larwood being more like 135.

Hi Tommy, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I think the reviews on here have been mostly positive but people at this point are trying to provide constructive feedback for Big Ant so they can make the right changes in the forthcoming patch. As I said in my review this game is almost amazing; it just needs a few more tweaks and changes.

I would add that we feel overwhelming support and gratitude from the community and for that we are very grateful, it's quite humbling.

We are treating the bugs reported as constructive, we need the feedback to make the game better.

That said, thanks Tommy, it's great to have the positive messages about the game that I can share with the guys in the office, it really does help drive that extra mile.

----------

Ross, the idea behind speed drop is realistic... however, the amt by which pace drops isnt.... and no matter what the pace shd recover a bit in a new session and fully on a new day, no matter if that makes bowlers more challenging..

You're right, the balance of the game relies on so many elements that we need to be careful not to throw it completely out of whack and fixing the fatigue issue would make the bowlers more dominant than they are. The AI's batting in patch#2 will be a lot better (as in "smarter").

So be it, but if you let the current "fatigue' issue remain, offline Tests would be unplayable. Plus you would be taking out one of the most interesting facets of the game, i.e., fast bowling. At the moment, fast bowlers cannot retain their pace for more than 2-3 overs. Try playing a test match with 3 quicks in the team, which are essentially made redundant in a session and you will get the gist.

Vous avez d?j? jou? beaucoup mais j'ai attendu pendant ce mois pour ce jeux video.

MAIS... voil? :)

2014_04_28_17_26_48.jpg

Sant? Big Ant

Sant?

:)

So be it, but if you let the current "fatigue' issue remain, offline Tests would be unplayable. Plus you would be taking out one of the most interesting facets of the game, i.e., fast bowling. At the moment, fast bowlers cannot retain their pace for more than 2-3 overs. Try playing a test match with 3 quicks in the team, which are essentially made redundant in a session and you will get the gist.

Bowler losing pace after 4 overs is fine but they should recharge back to some extent after resting for few hours and should be able to bowl faster for few more overs. This will make everything very interesting and realistic.

Don't have a problem with bowlers losing pace quickly in a T5, T10 or T20 match, because you kinda want that hyper-realism in those games. But it shouldn't happen at the same rate for all formats... Currently, I can't see any distinction in that fatigue reduction in all formats?

Perhaps it's because they're all far too active in the field... ;)

Had two full games. A 1930s Australia vs 1930s England 20/20 which I lost quite comfortably. Then played as SA, making about 180 off 30 overs, before bowling out Victoria for 76.

I think I need to up the difficulty level :)

Loving the mechanics though. The one mechanic I miss though is a shot between defence and the standard shot. I just want to nudge singles around to get off strike. I really feel the pressure, which is awesome, but I'd like a way to release it a little without having to play a big drive.

Don't have a problem with bowlers losing pace quickly in a T5, T10 or T20 match, because you kinda want that hyper-realism in those games. But it shouldn't happen at the same rate for all formats... Currently, I can't see any distinction in that fatigue reduction in all formats?

Perhaps it's because they're all far too active in the field... ;)

Yup, sliding and sprinting like demented men might have an adverse impact on stamina in real life as well.

Sometimes I experience my bowler coming in after a spell (I was sure it was the same day, just different session) and having full pace again. Something I'll look out for the next time I'm career'ing with my bowler player.

When I first played it I was a bit disappointed with the game, but after the patch and downloading and editing the teams it has totally changed, it has the best batting and bowling system I ever encountered and I have been playing cricket games for more than 2 decades now. The only major problem for me is the superhuman fielding which affects the total performance of the game especially your batting as you will get out on 149 in a test being caught at deep long on with the guy that stood at mid off, however, from what I have heard and seen this can be fixed. I think Big Ant has been doing an immense job as cricket is such a difficult game to reproduce, as it is not just a game where 22 guys kicks a ball around for 90 minutes. Thanks for giving us this game and please keep up the good work Ross and your team

Today played T10 in veteran level and found batting really easier than Pro...Scored 70 all out in Pro and 98 in Veteran...Was able to play grounded shots very well...Placing the ball to the area I wanted was very easily doable in veteran than pro...I think there is some sort of batting assist in Pro as the batsman doesn't play in the area where I place the ball most of the times [for me]..Played a shot towards square leg but the batsman played straight drive...

Loved batting on veteran level ..Felt very real other than a few superman catches...:)

You should try legend

Users who are viewing this thread