Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

Bought Dbc 17 for by the xbox one. Got to say this is a great game. Really, there are great graphics, and good game play. Id give this game a 8.5/10. Even though commemtry is not really great, it somehow supports the gameplay really well. Great stuff Big Ant, thank you for making an awesome game. Argh... I keep edged to the keeper whenever I play a glance to third man!

Only thing I was unhappy with was the commentry. Isnt really great, but did you actually hire James Taylor for the commentry?!

Great graphics?? Have you played any other sports game on Xbox One (or even on Xbox 360) ??

Great graphics?? Have you played any other sports game on Xbox One (or even on Xbox 360) ??
It is my opinion and not yours. I believe Big Ant have done a really good job. We are not comparing this game to other sports games in this case.

That's a hypothetical person without Internet posting on an Internet forum, right?

Knew I should have used a more simple example, let me break this down for you...

MY name is Royce, I'm a real person posting on an internet forum...

I introduced a HYPOTHETICAL situation, and to make it more obvious, I put quotation marks around the hypothetical part so you wouldn't get confused...

You see, when I stated "Hi, my name is Kevin, I just bought your game for $100, I do not have the internet, this game sucks, what am I to do???" - that was me creating a fake version of reality in which the character Kevin was a person who had bought the game, did not have the internet, therefore was unable to download the patch/be aware of its existence, and therefore had to play a sub-par game, his situation was fake, but meant to illustrate a point...

This situation is obviously not the situation that I am in, as my name is not Kevin, I obviously do have the internet, and I am posting on this forum... See, if I wanted to suggest that Kevin (aka: NOT REAL) was posting on an internet forum, I would have included words this that effect inside the quotation marks, "like this"

Google context, see what it says...

Knew I should have used a more simple example, let me break this down for you...

MY name is Royce, I'm a real person posting on an internet forum...

I introduced a HYPOTHETICAL situation, and to make it more obvious, I put quotation marks around the hypothetical part so you wouldn't get confused...

You see, when I stated "Hi, my name is Kevin, I just bought your game for $100, I do not have the internet, this game sucks, what am I to do???" - that was me creating a fake version of reality in which the character Kevin was a person who had bought the game, did not have the internet, therefore was unable to download the patch/be aware of its existence, and therefore had to play a sub-par game, his situation was fake, but meant to illustrate a point...

This situation is obviously not the situation that I am in, as my name is not Kevin, I obviously do have the internet, and I am posting on this forum... See, if I wanted to suggest that Kevin (aka: NOT REAL) was posting on an internet forum, I would have included words this that effect inside the quotation marks, "like this"

Google context, see what it says...

Haha holy **** this is gold.

Guys I get that the fact that you spent $$ on a video game has given you the ability to rant however you please. And to be frank it's a bit disappointing that these issues have surfaced at release.

If you want your money to be worth it. Either return the game or provide useful feedback in the hope that the game will be improved. Bigant's track record indicates it will.

Let's just all breathe. Bigant aren't trying to swindle you, things will be fixed like they always are. Be clear and concise in your issues if you want improvement.

If you want to wave your phallusa around citing your immutable rights as a consumer feel free to do that too but note you actually won't get anything out of that except for maybe an ego boost.

Let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya as god intended.

If you want to wave your phallusa around citing your immutable rights as a consumer feel free to do that too but note you actually won't get anything out of that except for maybe an ego boost.

I can understand how most of my posts might come off this way, I'm trying more to counteract all the positive press this game has gotten, people deserve to know what the game is ACTUALLY like... I've read several online reviews suggesting things like "The craft of batting is more complete in DBC17", "with the strongest batting and bowling not only of the series, but of any cricket game", while I remain unable to play a cover drive... and so on...

This is a realistic and honest review:

Don Bradman Cricket 17 Review | NDTV Gadgets360.com

Seriously tho, how can people defend the quality of this game when there are huge areas of the field that the ball cannot be hit too... cover drive anyone???

I got the game today at 2pm and played for about 9 hrs over 2 stints. Firstly I downloaded all my custom teams, (which is where I had 1st crash). Second I set up a CUSTOM league competition using 16 of my CUSTOM teams (which is where I got the 2nd and last crash so far)

1at Crash: I was downloading my teams one by one and on trying to download one the game crashed to show only the in game background screen. I then tried to download a different version that I had saved previously which was fine.

2nd crash was after beginning my CUSTOM league I simulated the first 3 fixtures and clicked to play the 4th, crashed to xbox screen with black screen in main mini window.

I have been able to play casual matches with my teams no problem.

It's definitely CUSTOM related.
I haven't downloaded any other teams.

Anyway. The game is really good so far. Edges, turn/swing, batting with the different player skills on different wickets and improved stats are all big plusses and things I had hoped for. Watching the fielders, there is a marked improvement on DB14/15.

A couple of things irked me a little.

1 ) Cannot seem to play cover drives or square drives which is not only a let down but also they were definitely my 2 go to shots before (db14)
2 ) I would've liked to see INNS added to player walk out stats. Particularly for first class fixtures. Hardly a game breaker I know!
3 ) Crash No2 (see above) though I'm confident of a patch for this as I have seen a few other people have had the same issue
4) I can't seem to work out how to make custom team lists like before(db14) is it not a feature this time? Also do we add teams to career on the fly because I also can't find the career team list editor either.

To be fair there are pretty minor, the 2 major ones for me is the lack cover/square drive and the custom league crash. I will try again tomorrow using different setups and teams.

On the whole an improvement all round. Better than I had expected, but not as good as I'd daydreamed. It's really good fun gameplay wise, even things that have annoyed others have tickled me (hitting the player a strikers end)(after dropping a catch and rage throwing the ball to WK)).
The game feels more like cricket this time, gameplay over realism is what i had hoped for with that in mind there is really nothing majorly negative I can say, for first impressions its 2 thumbs up from me, if just the cover/square drives and crashNo2 can be fixed i would be very happy, well I am already very happy, but I'd be more happy.

I'm assuming there's a logical reason behind it otherwise, but I can't understand why that kind of information would be removed from view, particularly in the context of career mode?
Essentially, all of the menus had to be reimplemented in DBC17, as the UI was moved over to the same systems as our other sports titles, so functionality may not be equal in all cases, but we will look at any cases there are omissions and see if those can be patched in.

Essentially, all of the menus had to be reimplemented in DBC17, as the UI was moved over to the same systems as our other sports titles, so functionality may not be equal in all cases, but we will look at any cases there are omissions and see if those can be patched in.

So I'm sorry but I must ask, what was the point of this "menu system upgrade?" if its left us with less functionality, surely the entire existence of the menu system is to increase functionality? I'm aware theres new stuff in there, but still...

Why do you not know "which cases" have been omitted?

Users who are viewing this thread