Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

How is an arbitrary shape any easier than a circle effectively 'pointing' you in the right direction?

Its a lot easier to pick up imo. You see a triangle u know its pitching off side, u see a circle its coming down straight, u see a square its going down leg. Its easier to pick up then the fullness of the circle. You have to initiate your shot quickly, u don't necessarily have the time to closely look at how full the ring around the ball is, its too subtle. Having three shapes around the ball is more in your face then the current system.

Theres not enough time to look at how full the ring around ball is, the reaction time required to initiate the shot doesn't really give u enough time to focus on how full the ring is. I just think three shapes is will be easier to pick up .

I don't see how registering what shape is on the screen would be any faster than just watching the ball out of the hands.

I thought you might say this... But surely the other solutions you've proposed also have this effect anyway?

If you have a marker or an indicator of some sort before the bowler releases the ball to tell you if the ball is short or full, you're only really going to choose back or front foot respectively anyway. Having manual input over footwork at this point is almost an illusion of depth/choice... You'll already know the best footwork and the subset of shots that are playable to most deliveries before the bowler even releases the ball. Good length balls may still cause some uncertainty, but the element of surprise of facing a nasty short ball or a yorker is gone if you know the length in advance.

I appreciate that it's difficult to react so quickly and see why people can get frustrated... I'm not great at it either, but I like that to be honest. Batting in most other games has been too easy and a bit of a slogathon - only losing wickets by getting impatient or mistiming one... In DBC I play on the highest difficulty and lose wickets in natural and realistic feeling ways - being beaten by pace, bad footwork, playing all around one, getting done by swing etc. It makes those innings where you manage to grind out a big score all the more satisfying because it's so challenging.

It's such a common complaint though and was throughout DBC14's lifecycle that I agree with you - it probably needs addressing in some way or another so these people aren't put off the game.

No not really. What I've proposed a "Reaction time" slider based setting so you can choose how early or late the line & length indicator would be displayed. I don't want it to be displayed too early either and will try various settings to get that optimal setting so it feels natural, i.e. I have time enough to read the line & length and react accordingly but at the same time not too early where I've all day to make the choice. After playing around with my desired slider setting I would eventually settle where I can play Medium pacers and spinners off the correct footwork most of the times but am hurried against quicker ones and have occasional misreads, which is what you see in real cricket.

I don't mind the difficulty but at the moment reading the correct line & length, selecting the right footwork and playing a well timed shot is simply beyond my capabilities. It should be hard but not nearly impossible as I suspect you need the reaction time of a professional cricketer to react to the deliveries at the moment. I can still score runs by planting myself on the front foot but it doesn't bring much satisfaction. DBC 17 has nailed the sport so well and it's just a shame that you are missing out on the optimal batting experience as the line & length indicator can't be adjusted to be shown a little bit earlier.

I don't think picking length is a big issue , only if ur footwork is really off you will be in trouble. I think the big issue is picking up the line , there's just not enough time to really assess the trajectory to pick up the line. The current system for line determined by the fullness of the circle around the ball is too subtle.

One suggestion id have for the line indicator is to have three shapes around the ball rather then the fullness of the circle.
  • For balls pitching between imaginary 4th and 5th stump display the circle around the ball (currently in game)
  • For balls pitching outside imaginary 4th stump( off side) have a triangle around the ball instead of a circle
  • For balls pitching down leg side 5th stump (leg side) have a square around the ball
Having 3 different shapes around the ball instead of just the circle and its fullness to determine line will be easier to pick up.

This would compliment the current color coding for length already in the game.

It's not the shape of indicators or the color which is an issue, it's when these indicators are displayed that's the concern. Majority of users simply don't get enough time to process the information and react appropriately. If the same information is displayed, say 500 msecs earlier, we should be fine.

I think the only way to fix this (or change this) is to change the FOV ie. move the bowler back in your FOV maybe 1m or something. This allows for a slightly longer flight but allows the batsman that extra millisecond to judge the pitch/flight. Anyone knows playing against bowling machines is extremely difficult because you have only a split second to judge before performing a batting action. in DB14 it was similar ie. you only got a small window to judge. So I say, move the bowler back a bit. Remember, this is cricket and cricket is NOT an easy game to play (or we'd all be scoring hundreds) and being able to judge the length/pitch/etc of the ball doesn't guarantee you anything...you still need to choose the correct footing, shot, force, etc etc...and still get bowled middle stump.

Agreed cricket's not an easy game but you would still expect to have a setting whereby you can get enough time to play a shot according to the delivery type. At the moment a lot of folks simply bat exclusively on the front foot which shouldn't be the case.

Agreed cricket's not an easy game but you would still expect to have a setting whereby you can get enough time to play a shot according to the delivery type. At the moment a lot of folks simply bat exclusively on the front foot which shouldn't be the case.

yep that's me included. this is because its just way too difficult to pick it up in time (and handle the different buttons, etc to play a proper shot). There is a high degree of difficulty involved in:

1. identifying the length/pitch of the ball; then
2. determining the shot I want to play;
3. then deciding whether to play back/front foot;
4. then moving my left thumb to select up/down on the LHS;
5. then moving my right thumb to select the correct angle of the RHS;
6. TIMING the shot using the RHS

IRL, this happens automatically however in a game with all the different buttons to press, it becomes a nightmare. The theory of everything happening as it should above using the controls mapped to DB14 is easy..but that's the theory. In practice, doing all the above is extremely difficult when #1 happens so quickly. That's why a lot of us forego #'s 3 and 4 which reduces the 6 step process to 4.

If they moved the bowler back as I suggested above, this provides a little more time for #1 and the rest.

I think things are fine as they are. I like that there is doubt in the players mind whether to play back or forward against fast bowling, how it should be.

My preference is to play without any markers and use Pro cam when batting. I still end up premeditating most strokes but I found that I was having to do this with the ball markers on anyway in DBC14, so turned them off to avoid trying to interpret them rather than watch the ball. I would like some mechanism that gave me a little more reaction time (though not much more) that didn't rely on HUD display. I think everyone has recognised that cricket isn't easy to emulate...so this might be an intractable problem to solve to everyone's liking. I just know that I don't have the reaction speed of a professional cricketer...so if the bowling emulates the experience of facing a genuine world-class quick...I'm going to struggle no matter how good the batter that I am using is supposed to be.

WoW really like the shape idea , hopefully it will get implemented :) , it can still be circle , if the bowl is outside off the right arc of the circle could become white indicating the bowl is outside off , if it is straight the lower arc becomes white and if its on leg the left arc will be white.

WoW really like the shape idea , hopefully it will get implemented :) , it can still be circle , if the bowl is outside off the right arc of the circle could become white indicating the bowl is outside off , if it is straight the lower arc becomes white and if its on leg the left arc will be white.

Huh? Then what would you do for length indication?

Getting a headache reading some of these ideas for systems, if you want hud options holding your hands telling you where the ball is going to go I've got some games for you.

oh wait they're no fun to play? Huh, funny.

Agreed. Trying to revolutionise the game after one iteration makes no sense. Give the existing approach time to evolve, rather than re-invent again.

Huh? Then what would you do for length indication?

Learn to read , I said arc will be white not the full circle which still be colored according to the lengths , its just like the current system except that it is inverse in direction and the empty part is replaced by white color.

I play with logitech f710 controller and i have noticed that the controlls are reversed like it shows to press A but it actually works when we press B and same when it comes to X and Y
Hope it gets corrected in the actuall game

Users who are viewing this thread