Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

Only way this Left stick only input is going to work if the animation kicks in after the ball passes the batter, which will look silly. Even if you hold down the left stick ready for a front foot shot you always have to have the option of playing a shot no matter how late it is. Or you'll get situations where a leave animation has kicked in when you wanted to play a shot. Otherwise a total overhaul of how batting works is required for it to work.

Yes it would be awesome if you could press forward on the left stick to step forward for a cover drive bat cocked back ready to play down the line of the ball but you decide to leave and not input a shot on the right stick, so the bat stays where it is safe from accidentally edging.

This would require a shot to have 2 animations one for foot placement (left stick) then another for the bat movement (right stick), The way batting is now a right stick or the leave button input are needed to start an animation.

Don't get me wrong I do want to see this eventually, I don't think it can happen yet with the current systems in place. I'll say again a very tough problem to solve.

has anything been released or commented on re the career mode? This is by far what I'm most interested in for DB17 (and I'm assuming for most people).

There was this a while ago, sift through MattW's posts and there are a few more minor details.

What is the word on whether or not team lineups will be dynamic in Career Mode in DBC17?
They will be.

Last edited:
For the dynamic lineups I hope there is an opportunity to bat in a different position to what you first state when you create your player.

e.g. You are a #4 batsman, you've been brought into the NZ Test side but Ross Taylor is in some great form so they want you to bat at 5 instead because Henry Nicholls isn't performing well.

Another e.g. Your team is batting in a T20 needing 13 an over, your S/R has been 160 for the season but you aren't due to be in until 2 more wickets have fallen. A dialog box pops up saying that the coach wants you to bat at the next FOW and you get to choose yes/no.

In terms of reaction time, we can't speed the animation up, it doesn't look good, we can't forecast the AI to the player as we calculate the trajectory in real time as it leaves the bowlers hands (we need this for two player games in any case).

OMG :eek:

Untitled.png

@SibiNaayagam Totally agree with your suggestion that was the first thought but I had already suggested at DBC14 time and there was some issue implementing it as giving the time it should come as a leave animation ,so if that's possible in DBC 17 then very well..

Yeah your post just before mine triggered that thought. I'm hoping they could find a way through the issues present now.

Only way this Left stick only input is going to work if the animation kicks in after the ball passes the batter, which will look silly. Even if you hold down the left stick ready for a front foot shot you always have to have the option of playing a shot no matter how late it is. Or you'll get situations where a leave animation has kicked in when you wanted to play a shot. Otherwise a total overhaul of how batting works is required for it to work.

Yes it would be awesome if you could press forward on the left stick to step forward for a cover drive bat cocked back ready to play down the line of the ball but you decide to leave and not input a shot on the right stick, so the bat stays where it is safe from accidentally edging.

This would require a shot to have 2 animations one for foot placement (left stick) then another for the bat movement (right stick), The way batting is now a right stick or the leave button input are needed to start an animation.

Don't get me wrong I do want to see this eventually, I don't think it can happen yet with the current systems in place. I'll say again a very tough problem to solve.

Let's leave the possibility/feasibility to BA?

In terms of reaction time, we can't speed the animation up, it doesn't look good, we can't forecast the AI to the player as we calculate the trajectory in real time as it leaves the bowlers hands (we need this for two player games in any case).

Anyway I was just thinking over what Ross said and the general suggestion we shared here. What if...

(Assuming the time in matches will not be slowed down like in Practise Match option - otherwise it would be easier to implement the leave.)

Considering a batsman sets into a caution mood when he starts to leave balls, wouldn't it be similar to Advancing Down the wicket in terms of the core process of setting into defensive or aggressive mood? So why not have a toggle on click of L just like R for Advancing? And a batsman usually leaves when the ball's line is going to be outside of stump. I think it's safe to say that a player deduces the line first as he is going to push the L initially and because a player doesn't need to have the full stride for a leave but only a small step forward or backward it gives a small extra time for not needing to speed up the animation while allowing a late timing input for shot.

Realistically, if a player wanted to play a positive shot then he would do so with hardly any time gap between the L and R pushes. Any late timed shots has a huge risk of edging thus would make no sense of playing it while being in a caution mood. The only allowance can be made for last minute defensive shots for which I personally don't mind if I play late and the animation skips to the defense one. No harm there I suppose...instead of a player standing still and cutting quickly to defense, it now cuts from a leave animation. My opinion.

For ducking though, I think it's relatively simple.
Player has his finger on R stick -> Ball releases -> Player realises he wants to duck -> Moves his finger to A button -> Batsman ducks out of the way.
I believe the time taken for the player to realise and move his finger to the button, which previously seemed rushed for leaving, could actually be a realistic timing for ducking as no footwork is required and it's just moving away from the ball as it reaches you.

But really, why not introduce a slowing down of time (in essence of Practise Match timing window) when the leave toggle is ON, just when the ball pitches? Wouldn't a proper test opener who has a lot of patience be having slightly more time to play a ball just by cautiously watching it, ready to leave if it's risky?
Maybe it can be used for batsmen and all-rounders alone but on higher defensive ratings. Probably even a leave skill rating?

rather than fiddling with controls how about freeze frame for fraction of a second before ball release with color indicator of length like in online match ups in dbc14????
that way las up or down would be taken care of while other input can be made on merit of ball

Sorry to be off-topic but will there be a coach career mode in DBC 17?

Any info about the inclusion of pro cam in nets.

too many good suggestions of making leaving the ball look more realistic but i still think the implementation of these ideas in the game are extremely difficult as of now

after updating to todays new patch i tried 5 time logo creator and it crashed. has anyone facing this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread