Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

You can't compare real world to the video game, balance and gameplay come first.

There are a number of things that are done to speed up the play in general as well - it's already too long a game for many people.

Thanks for the reply however, why does the keeper taking the bails off take what seems an eternity if everything else is sped up? Sorry if I'm being annoying

Last edited:
You can't compare real world to the video game, balance and gameplay come first.

There are a number of things that are done to speed up the play in general as well - it's already too long a game for many people.

Run outs are also so unrealistically slow on DB 14. Look at how long it takes for the wicket keeper to hit the stumps in this video

While in real life hitting the stumps should be done in a split second as shown here.

Thanks for the reply however, why does the keeper taking the bails off take what seems an eternity if everything else is sped up? Sorry if I'm being annoying

Yes, that is an annoying comment and is not at all relevant to the points made to do with balance - if there is an issue where we can speed things up more, or something has been overlooked, then that is a different matter.

Keep up the old work Ross and the rest of the team. Massively looking forward to the release of this game later this year.

Will you be able to harness the extra power of the PS4 Pro?

@Ross:

1. How has the wicket keeper improved from the previous version?
One of the annoying things I noticed was that the wicket keeper was way too slow in stumping out the batsman.

2. I have read couple of posts which mention that spinners will be more effective this time around so should I expect my spinners to not get beat all over the park even when bowling good line and length? They should be able to put more pressure on the batsmen by not giving away too many runs but the opposite happens to me in DBC14.

3. Although I love the new pull shot, I don't think the batsman is extending his arms all the way. The shot looks more like a shot that is hit after sledging with the bowler.

4. Is there any possibility of adding a slog sweep? I know you can slog the current sweep shot but can you also slog it over mid on or over long on?

Thanks.

Keep up the old work Ross and the rest of the team. Massively looking forward to the release of this game later this year.

Will you be able to harness the extra power of the PS4 Pro?

We have PS Pro dev kits and will support it, at this point I can't reveal what the advantages of running on it, if any, will be.

Yes, that is an annoying comment and is not at all relevant to the points made to do with balance - if there is an issue where we can speed things up more, or something has been overlooked, then that is a different matter.
How is running between the wickets too fast and the keeper taking off the bails too slow not relevant to balance? The running system obviously isn't balanced when batsman can run suicidal runs and make it especially when the field can't do anything about it.

Every animation in the game has been tuned and balanced, it's ludicrous to say they "obviously" haven't been. Slower, neutral, and faster as the play balance dictates.

Nothing at all to do with the original arguments that you believe we need to match real world speed, we don't match real world speeds as that just would not work.

Every animation in the game has been tuned and balanced, it's ludicrous to say they "obviously" haven't been. Slower, neutral, and faster as the play balance dictates.

Nothing at all to do with the original arguments that you believe we need to match real world speed, we don't match real world speeds as that just would not work.

I actually think the "problem" with the bail whip-off etc. was that there seemed to be a)an exaggerated "impact" of the ball, sometimes resulting in the fielder actually moving backwards, and b)an exaggerated reaction time.

I understand that this may have been partly for reasons of balance - to avoid too many run-outs, but I wonder if it could have been achieved differently - e.g. the fielder failing to gather the ball cleanly. One of the frustrations - and it comes to your point a little while ago about the game presenting a "highlights reel" aspect, is that stumpings - a very exciting dismissal if you are bowling - became very rare, and if it felt chances were missed because of the game rather than the player's execution, that would make it more frustrating.

I actually think the "problem" with the bail whip-off etc. was that there seemed to be a)an exaggerated "impact" of the ball, sometimes resulting in the fielder actually moving backwards, and b)an exaggerated reaction time.

I understand that this may have been partly for reasons of balance - to avoid too many run-outs, but I wonder if it could have been achieved differently - e.g. the fielder failing to gather the ball cleanly. One of the frustrations - and it comes to your point a little while ago about the game presenting a "highlights reel" aspect, is that stumpings - a very exciting dismissal if you are bowling - became very rare, and if it felt chances were missed because of the game rather than the player's execution, that would make it more frustrating.

We had to balance the game within the confines of the existing animation system that was in place, not being in control of the game is a huge problem and we, hopefully, only see that occur when the alternative is an unbalanced game (I do really hate the idea of players not being in control of their destiny).

The animation system in DBC17 is a complete re-write, it will perform much better than DBC14 but will still not match the real-world in terms of timing, as pointed out, the game is meant to be a highlights reel, it is art and liberties will be taken where needed.

Please explain why it wouldn't work. If it works in real life why wouldn't it be alright in a game replicating the real sport? No nastiness intended just a genuine question

Video games are nothing like the real world. It's a 2D representation and you are expected to react with 3D knowledge (Read the hand/seam when batting? Face 150Kms an hour across 5cm of pixels?), and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Users who are viewing this thread