Earth Hour

The Majestic

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is anyone else going to support Earth Hour? On Saturday you switch off your lights for one hour....I have decided to sign up and they sent me my own personal link http://www.earthhour.org/user/3z5o which tells everyone about it I don't get like referrals or anything from it. Just thought I'd see if anyone was going to support Earth Hour. :)

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nope, not going to do it. Wont make that much of a difference, whats the point of doing that for an hour.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I find this pointless one hour wont make a difference in the world, I'm sure more people wont do it than the ammount that will.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
lol, I don't think anyone is gonne do it, apart from the people obsessed.

_42020794_gore_getty203.jpg

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
I don't need to do it! At many areas in India there is so called 'load shedding' due to so called 'lack/saving of electricity'. So everyday we don't have electricity for 2 hrs. Thankfully those 2 hrs coincide with my school hours! But I may register.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
lol, yes yes it takes place in Pakistan aswell, damn! It's so hot, and when i'm in Pakistan, I cannot live without and air conditioner to keep the house kool, those bloody days i've spent in hot temperatures.

I fully undrerstand you Harrypotter_fan.

Sureshot

Executive member
Firstly, I'll use the lights in whatever room I'm in when I need them and will turn them off when I don't need them.

Secondly, the amount of electricity saved is tiny. If you are sensible anyway you'll only have the lights on in whichever room you are in. Let's say there is 4 of you at home, you may have 4 rooms lit. I'd be surprised if that equates to more than 400W of usage. 400W saved is tiny.

This is just a fad and is ignoring the real issue. Will it save electricity? Yes. Will it make any kind of difference? No.

It's also ignoring where you get your electricity from, if you get your electricity from a dam (say Vegas) then your electricity is created without the use of carbon emissions through burning a fuel.

Btw, I estimate that our total house has about 1KW maximum in light bulbs. That's about a third of your average oven. For a 13 room house btw. 200W of that is in the kitchen.

Want to impact with what people use for lighting? Make the only bulbs purchasable the fluorescent or low-energy bulbs. Your normal 60W bulb uses nearly all that power as heat. Probably about 1W of that is used as light. We've got a 15W low-energy bulb in this room and it's as bright as an 80W normal bulb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread