Engineering branch?

Dipak

ICC Board Member
I just cleared class XII. I aspire to do engineering. Right now I'm really confused which branch should I take. I'm thinking of Mechanical/Aerospace (since I like Physics) but I have no other reason for that and I don't want to get stuck with something I don't like for four years.

I just wanted to know what happens exactly in first year engineering? I want to know what would I be doing in class/in future if I go for that branch?

Need help and guidance from some people out here like @Varun and @Yudi

----------

ADD: Till 12th I've liked Physics (Mechanics and Magnetics part) and Calculus and Algebra part of Maths. I hate Geometry and Inorganic Chem.

I'm pondering about my stream wrt the subjects and topics I liked in 12th. But won't engineering be very different from 12th?

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Engineering is an ocean and actually the structure of engineering course is horrible. Its like a state board school where you have to by heart things and vomit it like we did for History in Social.

Don't choose CSE or IT because job oppartunities are getting extinct day by day. I am a BE Computer Science Engineer myself. I regret for doing this, i aspired to do automobile engineering but it was not popular here in Chennai and not many colleges offered that course. Mechanical is evergreen, followed by Civil. So look into syllabus, think if you really have the intention of doing a MS in USA or any other foreign place, if yes take up Mechanical, else you can give a thought to Civil engineering too.

Take your time and decide. Good luck mate.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Keep in mind Engineering is a very transferable degree, you are not stuck in one field of engineering just because of your degree. For example, my Dad has a degree in chemical engineering but for the past 15-20 years he's been in a more IT and management related field. It is also possible to pursue something slightly different in your masters.

Civil and aerospace are full to the brim with physics and have little else, you might like those.

The likes of civil and mechanical are bankers though, you will like them I think judging by what you said and jobs are always relatively easy to come by.

SWITCHHIT

Club Cricketer
Yeah MadhavanGovind is right mechanical&civil engg. are evergreen branches.But first make sure you get a good AIR in jee.

Varun

ICC Board Member
--only restricted to the system in India--

I can relate with you. Studying in a college that has 15 different engineering streams available for selection, I can see that there are indeed a lot of them which I would've been incapable of pursuing because of my lack of interest.

As Madhavan said, the course structure of engineering is similar to that of school rather than any coaching you pursued for your entrances, so you might find yourself relying on learning specific concepts and questions in order to prepare for your exams rather than trying to obtain a holistic understanding of the topics. It's completely your choice how you want to study - I try to stick with the latter - but usually the former works as well. The syllabus, objectively speaking, follows what you've studied in your coaching but there are a number of new engineering based courses - like engineering drawing for example.

The first year in most engineering courses is common for everyone irrespective of their streams. This is because streams are subject to be upgraded during the first two semesters, after which they are locked. So everyone in a college will study the same subjects in their first year, which might or might not be related to your stream. This is perfectly alright, in my opinion.

As to what you should choose, have a brief idea about what each type of engineering involves and whether you're ready to do it. There will be difficult parts to each course you pursue and you can't do anything but persist through them. If you're considering your options on the basis of pay scales, computer science and related streams are far more superior than other streams currently.

Based on your interests, you might like Mechanical/Civil/Electrical engineering but each of them has parts which you definitely won't like. Mechanical, for an example, would have you work with and read about machines technology, without relying on conceptual knowledge of mechanics as much as learning what the current system is. Loads of text. So if you want to pursue mechanical engineering, you have no options but go through this. Similar with other streams.

Hope you choose the best for you.

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Based on your interests, you might like Mechanical/Civil/Electrical engineering but each of them has parts which you definitely won't like. Mechanical, for an example, would have you work with and read about machines technology, without relying on conceptual knowledge of mechanics as much as learning what the current system is. Loads of text. So if you want to pursue mechanical engineering, you have no options but go through this. Similar with other streams.
Ho about Electrical & Electronics and Communication engineering? You might have a fair idea.

Varun

ICC Board Member
It's what it sounds - an overlapping of Electrical engineering and Electronics And Communication engineering. I don't know the technical details of how they overlap, you could search it easily enough I guess.

It's a sought-after stream.

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Filled my BITS Pilani form. I put Computers over Mechanical for 2 reasons

1. I enjoy php programming a bit.
2. I'm filling Mechanical in my IIT form first, so if I feel this choosing CS later, I can take it. :)

lion100lion

International Coach
just cleared class XII. I aspire to do engineering. Right now I'm really confused which branch should I take. I'm thinking of Mechanical/Aerospace (since I like Physics) but I have no other reason for that and I don't want to get stuck with something I don't like for four years.
First of all, branch should be selected based upon what you like to do or your skills. Don't select a branch on the basis of future salary or job opportunities because this may lead you to a wrong branch causing you to cry for 4 years.

Since you don't like chemistry, I am ruling out the option of Chemical Engineering.

Now, jot down all the chapters of class 11th and 12th physics, one by one, on a paper. Cross out all those chapters you hate to study (like I didn't like the semiconductor physics and optics). This will give you a fair idea of your branch.

Now go to this site and find out your future in these 4 top branches :- Computer Science & Engineering , Electrical & Electronics, Mechanical & production Engineering, Civil Engineering.

Still confused ? Feel free to ask. :yes

grkrama

National Board President
Congrats buddy!!!My suggestion to you Dipak, would be to change your question it is not what branch of engineering you have to choose, it is what you want to become?

Instead of seeing what scope a branch of engineering gives, rather decide what you want to be and then choose the branch that gives you that opportunity, if you can nail this down at your age you would be settled and happy for life.

Decide what is the one thing you want to be in your life.
(If you cant tell that of the top of your head now , no worries, lot of us cant, but take a week and dedicate it fully to seeking the answer for this question, be obsessed with finding answer for this question and you will find, and you will never regret it)
The degree is nothing more than a gatepass to your career in the field of your choice, now is the right time to decide what you want to become,what you would enjoy and choose the branch accordingly.

The syllabus in engg are outdated and the systems of education even more,
Dont expect the courses to show you a path , rather treat them as a key card for the path you have chosen.
They key things for your life during these 4 years would be to:
1. Set your self a healthy and a punctual lifestyle.
2.enjoy college life and socializing*.
3.Be good enough to clear the exams with a first class, once you are over that try to start doing stuff while at college in the field of your interest.

All the best for your higher studies.:thumbs

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Don't choose CSE or IT because job oppartunities are getting extinct day by day. I am a BE Computer Science Engineer myself. I regret for doing this, i aspired to do automobile engineering but it was not popular here in Chennai and not many colleges offered that course.

That is completely a wrong guidance to person seeking help. I chose computer science during 2003 and I never regretted for choosing it until now at any point. Have undergone severe IT crisis period couple of times already but have never felt guilty of choosing my life path this way.

It all depends on what you want to become. If you are inspired in becoming an A & choose B just because of current trend, you will feel regretful always if B suddenly hits the down period, this is only because we don't have that inbuilt passion to overcome the tough times.

So don't worry about the trend, choose the stream that you want to be & have 'never give up' passion & attitude. It will take you up automatically & you will definitely feel that rewarding satisfaction in you once you start achieving heights of success.

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Yeah. I just really can't study something I'm not interested in. That brought me down a bit in the JEE. Inorganic Chem isn't really my cup of tea. :p

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
So don't worry about the trend, choose the stream that you want to be & have 'never give up' passion & attitude. It will take you up automatically & you will definitely feel that rewarding satisfaction in you once you start achieving heights of success.

For a sec there, it felt like I was watching 3 Idiots :lol

Users who are viewing this thread