England in Australia

evertonfan said:
Flintoff has been finding swing; That's not even just reverse-swing either.

He isnt finding alot, seriously, look at him Mcgrath, he's finding it well, i suppose these are conditions he likes, but Flintoff isnt a big swinger at best of times, although reverse swing did him well in 05

McGrath found swing? I hope that's not what you are suggesting because Glenn wasn't even finding seam movement let alone swing in his bowling. Flintoff has been getting swing when bowling, not a lot, but probably more than anyone else in the Test so far.

evertonfan said:
McGrath found swing? I hope that's not what you are suggesting because Glenn wasn't even finding seam movement let alone swing in his bowling. Flintoff has been getting swing when bowling, not a lot, but probably more than anyone else in the Test so far.

Sorry i didnt make myself clear here, Im regarding the first test here. And the first 2 days of this test, as i havnt seen day three yet. Nothing much happened in Brisbane but Mcgrath was finding a hint of swing here and there, and before his and Warnes torrid time after lunch on Day 2. Ponting says Mcgrath isnt suffering from pain in his heal, but its evidant it is. First time Mcgrath has gone for 100 runs plus without picking up a wicket i heard someone say.

I just have to comment that Ponting is an amazing batsmen (not that I didn't realize he was before). I think his consistency and fitness will carry him well past 15k runs in test cricket alone.

McGrath is the hit the deck bowler not really a swinger. He might get some, sometimes but not much hes more reliant on small movements in seam. Clark seems to have got some but he too isn't a swing bowler. Bracken would have been worth a try cause like Hoggard he too has cutters.

whooah, great innign by Clarke, they cant drop him now

For the next test drop Hayden for Jaques and Martyn for either Watson or Macgill

Great to see from Clarke it's been a fantastic knock. Looked really good with lots of good shots along the ground. Also was good seeing Gilly make a 60 odd.
If they want Watson in there it should be for Martyn. Jaques hasn't been in great form for NSW lately so can't see him displacing Hayden.

he got 2 hundreds againts England and had been averaging about 70, just because his last 2 inning were low the 15 inning before that were at least 40 +, and lasty season too he was averaging high so they might give Hayden another shot in Perth but if he fails bring in Jaques

He hasn't done much this season really, 8 inns only one 100 and a 50 which is way down compared with last season so no it's not just his last 2 inns. If you want to put pressure on a batsmen you should at least score 100s consistently so when the chance arises the selectors can't find an excuse not to pick you.

Well one was in the OD format so it would be 2 in the FC form of the game.
Hayden definitely won't be dropped at Perth, if he fails again pressure will start to mount but if we are 1-1 or just 1-0 going to the MCG there is no way the selectors would drop him. If we are 2-0 they may try Jaques but he will need to hit some 100s to force the selectors to take notice.

Hoggard is cleaning up now, 7 wickets with the vital Clarke being one. Probably will get his 8th too as Giles doesn't look like getting one.

I think whenever you're looking to drop a player for 1 or 2 less than perfect innings, that's when you know you don't need to drop any of them.

It is getting to the point however, where it would be really, really nice if some of them retired. If Langer and Hayden retire after this series (I think the door will be left open for them to retire as a pair for as long as possible), we would be able to bring in Jaques, partner him with Hussey and probably move Watson in. What's more, I'd leave Clarke at six; he seems to really enjoy it. All of his hundreds have come from there and he now averages a shade under 50 from the position.

England should see how the first session goes...get a lead of 200 - then if all is well power through 3/4 of the middle session and leave Australia 300-350 off 50 overs. Australia would definately have a crack, which could lead to a collapse.

More likely England will bat out 2 sessions to put an Australian win out of the question then just try and bowl them out. Australia would do the same.

England need this win I reckon...pretty hot and dry in Perth at the moment which means we could have a WACA belter on our hands. Get a bit of pace in the pitch and Collingwood's wicket will become a gift.

andrew_nixon said:
I'm used to waking up and finding dozens of posts in this thread overnight. What happened?
Gilchrist batted well and suddenly there was nothing to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread