England in Australia

Id drop Giles,Anderson from the next test as they were ineffective in both innings,Id have Monty and Sajid Mahmood instead.Id also consider giving Ed Joyce a go with the bat as he might be a useful player under the conditions,from the little Ive seen of him.

Funny if Joyce played aswell. That would make 36% of the English team that arent even English.

@ Andrew, out of all those names, not one of them plays in the current test side, so its hardly a relevent point when comparing the two teams. Maybe historically but we are talking about todays team.

@ wolf, I believe that is correct but I'd check with andrew, he is far more notified with these sort of stats

@ everyone, pressumably with no watson, the door has been held open for clarke to stay, which will mean that Macgill probably wont play as it would only leave the 2 seamers which I dont think Australia would be comfortable with. I also cant see them playing 5 bowlers, it doesnt seem our style.

Therefore my view on the 2nd test team is this:
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Clark or maybe macgill if he is lucky and the selectors really think the wicket will turn.
McGrath

valvolux said:
As it turns out all they had was "barmy army" repeat x 1000..."people always ask us, who we are, where we come from etc. etc." and "England, England, England". Hardly the repertoire of the "best fans in the world". Anyone can get drunk, wear a silly hat and annoy the bejesus out of everyone around them.

You clearly weren't listening very closely. I can name 10 different songs the army sang as we were singing them at the same time. The Barmy Army song is the signature one though and it was fantastic hearing them chant it over and over.

Hopefully the army can get in the ground early for the next test and get together again.

And just to add, I don't think the splitting up thing really did work. The English fans in their small pockets were still the loudest in the ground.

wolf said:
Geraint Jones as well, was he not born in Papula New Guinea and raised in Aus?
Correct, forgot about him.

Besides, none of it matters. With the exception of Ed Joyce (who's fulfilled a residential qualification and shouldn't be playing for England anyway), every single member of the England side has British nationality, so where's the problem?

cricketmad09 said:
Funny if Joyce played aswell. That would make 36% of the English team that arent even English.

Not really, in order to play for England you need to be English so cut aside your obnoxious comments and realise that they are english. No matter what origins they are, they are 100% English or else the ICC wouldn't let them play for us would they? :rolleyes:

We select based on one game now?

I wasn't saying you should drop them, I was merely pointing out that those two were the worst of the performers.

Drop Gilchrist? are you mad?

So what? He failed in 1 innings, plus he is in the team to do a little thing call wicketkeep instead.

Again, I wasn't saying you should drop him and he hasn;t just failed in one innings, he's been in a lean spell in Test matches for a while now. I guarantee that you'll say he's in there for his batting should he falter with the gloves. :rolleyes:

Sureshot said:
Yeah he got some runs didn't he. 55 in the match was it? Not too shabby. If he does that in each test I'll be content.

That's not sarcasm is it? I can never tell with you Jones doubters. ;)

I think if he can add at least 30 to England's total in every Test match and holds onto all his chances, then that's worth his place in my opinion.

evertonfan said:
I wasn't saying you should drop them, I was merely pointing out that those two were the worst of the performers.
You said they were the only people we should even consider dropping, so we're obviously ignoring anything prior to this Test. The fact that Clarke was gifted a spot through injury shouldn't matter even if the original superior option is fit, he must be retained because he performed okay in this one game.

brad352 said:
You said they were the only people we should even consider dropping, so we're obviously ignoring anything prior to this Test. The fact that Clarke was gifted a spot through injury shouldn't matter even if the original superior option is fit, he must be retained because he performed okay in this one game.

So your saying they should maintain clarke? :p

evertonfan said:
That's not sarcasm is it? I can never tell with you Jones doubters. ;)

I think if he can add at least 30 to England's total in every Test match and holds onto all his chances, then that's worth his place in my opinion.

Nope, no sarcasm. Although I still think Prior is a better choice as he plays spin well.

Users who are viewing this thread