England In India - October 2011/12

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
You're missing a fundamental point about Britain - we're probably one of the most diverse and multicultural countries in the world.
All the players you've mentioned with only a few exceptions have English parents and just happened to be born overseas. I agree that the likes of KP and Trott are more dicey but they still have English relatives. It's a legacy of empire and part of the diaspora.

The players you've mentioned simply aren't "not English".

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
White was not initially qualified to play for England, and yorkshire listed him as an overseas player, then he went on to play international cricket then.

That was due to a technicality of the contract system and specifically Yorkshire's overseas policy. He could have played for England at any point.

The players you've mentioned simply aren't "not English".

Bar Morgan. Although the Morgan was taught cricket within England unlike Trott/KP.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
:facepalm

You don't have to have hatred coursing through your veins to disagree with somebody, you know. People are bound to have different opinions.

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
Man England pwned India like the way the Nazi's would have pwned Gandi's non violent movement

Since you asked Maney.

Two other posters made offensive remarks, but their National Team is not England.

By and large English fans have not pressed my buttons.

Last edited:

ferg512

International Coach
Wow, can't believe India collapsed like that I must have gone to bed just before the Mishra wicket. Quite glad Sachin didn't get his 100 as it wouldn't really have been right, he could do with getting it in front of his home crowd. You really do hope this is a turning point for India, because they can't keep playing series after series like this too much longer. For once BCCI put the game ahead of money. Don't blame Dhoni Indian fans, he really did not have a lot to work with. I really am worried for this young Aaron because I can see him just getting run in to the ground if things continue like this, he will also surely be a main attraction in IPL now..

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Anyone else think that Dhoni's words at the presentation ceremony weren't particularly reassuring? "We tried our best and that's what matters" What does that even mean? Sends all the wrong messages imo.

Wow, he said that? I know you're joking Mark, but that's pretty damn offensive. That was a low blow. Incite them as you wish for all I care, but don't drag the father of our nation into it. Certain things you shouldn't say.

Yep, Aaron could very easily be lost as could Umesh Yadav. However, what choice do we have? The options we have right now are obviously nowhere near good enough. He couldn't possibly do any worse than these guys.

Also, more than Zaheer Khan's overall skill and ability, without him, the Indian bowling attack lacks a leader. He inspires the bowlers around him. For example, overall Sreesanth averages 38 but in matches with Zak, he averages 33. Overall, Bhajji averages 32 and with Zaheer he averages 30. Not exactly discernible with stats but the other lift their performances when he's around. They run in harder, bowl with intent, aggression and confidence. Without a genuine leader, they lack a goal and a purpose and all in all, just look a little lost. Not great signs.

Last edited:

ferg512

International Coach
Anyone else think that Dhoni's words at the presentation ceremony weren't particularly reassuring? "We tried our best and that's what matters" What does that even mean? Sends all the wrong messages imo.

If thats what he said I'm a bit surprised, that sounds quite peculiar as that was exactly what they didn't do, try...

Manly

Thor
Since you asked Maney.

Two other posters made offensive remarks, but their National Team is not England.

By and large English fans have not pressed my buttons.

But I can't understand why you're taking that seriously..? It's clearly an exaggerated post designed to make us laugh at the fact you guys are getting your collective knickers in a twist...

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
But I can't understand why you're taking that seriously..? It's clearly an exaggerated post designed to make us laugh at the fact you guys are getting your collective knickers in a twist...

Ian Botham walked out of an official dinner during the 1992 World Cup in Australia, when an Australian made some jokes about the Queen of England.

He admired the Monarchy and did not find it funny.

ferg512

International Coach
Yep, Aaron could very easily be lost as could Umesh Yadav. However, what choice do we have? The options we have right now are obviously nowhere near good enough. He couldn't possibly do any worse than these guys.

Also, more than Zaheer Khan's overall skill and ability, without him, the Indian bowling attack lacks a leader. He inspires the bowlers around him. For example, overall Sreesanth averages 38 but in matches with Zak, he averages 33. Overall, Bhajji averages 32 and with Zaheer he averages 30. Not exactly discernible with stats but the other lift their performances when he's around. They run in harder, bowl with intent, aggression and confidence. Without a genuine leader, they lack a goal and a purpose and all in all, just look a little lost. Not great signs.

Yeah, they do need to try and mould someone else into that leader type bowler. Not sure who but Zaheer unfortunately might not be around that much longer.

It's good to see a guy like Aaron in Indian cricket, he does look like he could cope with the rigors of international cricket. He actually looks fit unlike the rest of the Indian team, unfortunately he may have no choice to slow down in the future if they burn him into the ground. Also what has happened to Yadav, I have only seen him in IPL when he looked ok.

Manly

Thor
Ian Botham walked out of an official dinner during the 1992 World Cup in Australia, when an Australian made some jokes about the Queen of England.

He admired the Monarchy and did not find it funny.

Your logic has killed my brain.

I'm going to bed.

ferg512

International Coach
The biggest problem for India in this series was fitness, RP Singh, Ishant and Sreesanth are actually good bowlers they are just so woefully unfit. I don't know but maybe because things were going so well they just didn't worry about it. RP Singh looks twice the size of when he was in England 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread