England In India - October 2011/12

IPL is not good for cricket. It means more injuries to players. Sehwag avoided an operation to ensure he played IPL. Was not that a blow to India in test Series?

IPL is not good for cricket. It means more injuries to players. Sehwag avoided an operation to ensure he played IPL. Was not that a blow to India in test Series?

The Crowds decide what Cricket they want Mate.

5 Days in A Hot Concrete Stadium, Batsmen not getting out for days...what's there for the fans in India in a Test Match?

How many India Vs Pakistan Tests are worth watching?

The Crowds decide what Cricket they want Mate.

5 Days in A Hot Concrete Stadium, Batsmen not getting out for days...what's there for the fans in India in a Test Match?

How many India Vs Pakistan Tests are worth watching?

The 'crowds' in Sydney flock to the Gay Mardigras Parade, and it's not because they are proud of their gayness. Similarly the crowds flock to the IPL for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with cricket. With all the sponsors' DLF-this, MRF-that and Karbonn-Kamaal the other, I bet most of them couldn't even tell you what sport was being played!

Anyway, the crowds pay a pittance to go to the game. IPL is only lucrative because of the involvement of bookies and Dawood money-launderers...

I agree with most of your post JB except the last sentence. You just acannot claim something like that without any evidence. Yes IPL is a circus but there is no Dawood money involved there.
Still i like to watch Champions League as standard of cricket is a bit higher than IPL there.

India are having a practice game today against Sussex & tomorrow against Kent. So, the turnaround will start.....until Sept 16th :cheers

Similarly the crowds flock to the IPL for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with cricket.

Please enlighten me as to why they go there then?

Also, can Indian fans confirm the price of IPL tickets and the relative cost for you? Because whilst the exchange rates may make them look cheap, they might be relatively expensive for you guys.

----------

Did you say that about Umar Akmal, or Ajantha Mendis or Phil Hughes (after his tour of SA)?

Umar Akmal went down? I know he didn't quite have the right temperemant but not sure he became a miserable player did he?

Ajantha Mendis and Phil Hughes were both found, one has his mystery unravelled and the other a major failing with the short ball.

The IPL isn't the be all and end all of why the Indian talent pool is 'failing' but I would say it is a large reason. The main way an Indian talent is now found and taken into the International squads, is through the IPL. Could you say who the last person was that made a real name for themself in the real domestic setup? As we have seen, scoring runs in the SC is far easier than elsewhere in the world, so these youngesters are just brought up playing T20, playing attacking cricket not overly suited for the Test Match Arena and being found on away tours.

Of course they have some fantastic young talents but in my honest opinion if these players want to be become good all over the world, they should try and get involved with the a domestic set up somewhere else across the world. Counties are ALWAYS looking for cheaper options and young and bright cricketers; Braithwaite, Ojha, Bravo amongst others are having a go at county cricket at the moment and to be honest, I would love to see players like Kohli, Vijay, Sharma playing on the county scene.

Of course, they aren't going to get the pay day such as the IPL, but they do gain a wealth of experience and if they can conquer England, they shouldn't have TOO many other problems.

Please enlighten me as to why they go there then?

Also, can Indian fans confirm the price of IPL tickets and the relative cost for you? Because whilst the exchange rates may make them look cheap, they might be relatively expensive for you guys.

----------

Umar Akmal went down? I know he didn't quite have the right temperemant but not sure he became a miserable player did he?

Ajantha Mendis and Phil Hughes were both found, one has his mystery unravelled and the other a major failing with the short ball.

The IPL isn't the be all and end all of why the Indian talent pool is 'failing' but I would say it is a large reason. The main way an Indian talent is now found and taken into the International squads, is through the IPL. Could you say who the last person was that made a real name for themself in the real domestic setup? As we have seen, scoring runs in the SC is far easier than elsewhere in the world, so these youngesters are just brought up playing T20, playing attacking cricket not overly suited for the Test Match Arena and being found on away tours.

Of course they have some fantastic young talents but in my honest opinion if these players want to be become good all over the world, they should try and get involved with the a domestic set up somewhere else across the world. Counties are ALWAYS looking for cheaper options and young and bright cricketers; Braithwaite, Ojha, Bravo amongst others are having a go at county cricket at the moment and to be honest, I would love to see players like Kohli, Vijay, Sharma playing on the county scene.

Of course, they aren't going to get the pay day such as the IPL, but they do gain a wealth of experience and if they can conquer England, they shouldn't have TOO many other problems.

Naah they aint that much costly. About the same price of a movie ticket in a decent Cinema Hall.
And yeah you were right there are not many youngster who have made their way to Indian Team without the help of IPL, but Pujara is one exception. Its a shame he's injured for last few months. He could be really useful in english conditions.

Naah they aint that much costly. About the same price of a movie ticket in a decent Cinema Hall.

Can obviously do their economics then.

How would Indian fans feel about some of their brighter younger talents playing say on the English domestic circuit? I mean if someone like Ojha can get a contract, surely the other guys can. It would benefit them so much.

I think they should play there. Zaheer played there one season and it did wonders to him. It will definitely improve their technique and they will play against better bowlers than they would in India. Its off season in India so there should be no conflict of playing in Ranji Trophy or County in England.

Yeah, from what I can remember, I think the great West Indies team had a nucleus of players playing in the English county scene and also when Australia had their great side the same thing happened.

I for one would love to see someone like Vijay or Kohli playing for Surrey. Don't ship over any of your bowlers though :p.

They come in pairs only. :p You get Nehra free with Vijay and Sreesanth free with Kohli... ;)

Just checked ticket prices for Champions league. Prices varied from $2 normal seats to $60 Corporate Box tickets. Just to help you with economic comparison, a movie ticket costs around $5 to $8..

But what does it cost on Rupees and is it expensive for the local people?

Nowhere near expensive. Normal seats cost just about 300 rupees which extends to 3000 rupees for Corporate box tickets. Much much better to what we had during the World Cup. Starting price for normal seats was set at 500 rupees then.

Might as well go for more than 3 of the 10 matches in Chennai, including the final. :p

----------

Regarding Indians playing county cricket, Kohli is a long way off from that I believe, especially given he's a permanent feature in India's limited overs setup. As for players like Vijay & Rohit Sharma, yeah, definitely worth a shot. Their shots are of pure class, but they're also mightily mightily inconsistent and just haven't made their countless opportunities count.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your post JB except the last sentence. You just acannot claim something like that without any evidence. Yes IPL is a circus but there is no Dawood money involved there.

I'm sure the various State Prosecutors know it is going on, but can't get the evidence, for the usual reasons (ie. corruption, intimidation, murder etc). And you expect me to get it!

They cannot claim it without evidence. I most certainly can - and I do!

Otherwise, what is it that makes IPL 'profitable'? The $2 ticket sales don't even pay for the lighting!

Users who are viewing this thread