England In India - October 2011/12

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
That's what the Australians said...

And they were right. Anderson had a far better Ashes than Swann. Swann never really lead the attack as they said he would. He was slightly underwhelming considering the hype surrounding him coming into the series.

That being said, he did step up to the plate the one time that they asked him to lead the attack in the 4th innings in Adelaide.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
When the opposition completely fall to their knees against your seamers, you don't really need the spinner. Besides, he won us Adelaide. A better valuation of a bowler is not a statistical average but by what they actually did. He won us Adelaide, wasn't needed that much at Melbourne, still chipped in 2nd innings. Brisbane was a runs fest that no England bowler prospered in. Seam dominated at Perth, he was a bit poor in Sydney, I'll give you that, but again, seam dominated and we still won by an innings.

Put it in to an actual context and his performance in Australia was good enough. Numbers mean nothing without any meaning behind them.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
When the opposition completely fall to their knees against your seamers, you don't really need the spinner. Besides, he won us Adelaide. A better valuation of a bowler is not a statistical average but by what they actually did. He won us Adelaide, wasn't needed that much at Melbourne, still chipped in 2nd innings. Brisbane was a runs fest that no England bowler prospered in. Seam dominated at Perth, he was a bit poor in Sydney, I'll give you that, but again, seam dominated and we still won by an innings.

Put it in to an actual context and his performance in Australia was good enough. Numbers mean nothing without any meaning behind them.

I am not looking at statistical averages. I did not even mention it in my previous post. Throughout the series he wasn't all that great. Case in point, Michael Hussey. He handled him with utmost ease and Swann had virtually no idea how to deal with him when Hussey went on the charge. Even Haddin dealt with him fairly comfortably. He had an average Ashes. I don't think there's any two ways about it, statistics or no statistics. He's a good bowler, admittedly, but that fact stands.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
He's a good bowler, admittedly, but that fact stands.

You're not basing that assumption based on one series, are you? The rankings will tell you that he's the No 2 bowler (and No 1 spinner) in the world.

Swann will be a huge factor later in the summer when the pitches start to wear. He's probably the only spinner in the world ATM that can run through a side.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Just made some head to head comparisons between the players of the respective sides ahead of this series. Also took into account 'recent form' combined with 'Home advantage' for England.

Strauss 0-1 Sehwag
Cook 1-1 Gambhir
Trott 2-1 Dravid
Pietersen 2-2 Tendulkar
Bell 3-2 Laxman
Morgan 3-2 Raina (or maybe Morgan>Raina?)
Prior 4-2 Dhoni
Swann 5-2 Harbhajan
Broad/Finn 5-2 Sreesanth
Anderson 5-2 Zaheer Khan (again giving the benefit of doubt to 'India')
Tremlett 6-2 Ishant

I know Zaheer bats at Number 9 but swing vs swing is the way to go, so I reserved him for clashing horns with Anderson. Seems England are a lot stronger than India than expected. But again, is it only me who feels that way?
Maybe to stoop down to the worst case, I'll rate Trott and Dravid to be equal. Still its England winning 5-2.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
How did you choose the numbers? I'm slightly confused by them.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
On the contrary, while heading to the Ashes in Australia, people in general went for something like this: (again by their form and home advantage to the Aussies)

Watson 1-0 Strauss
Katich 2-0 Cook
Ponting 3-0 Trott
Clarke 4-0 Pietersen
Hussey 4-0 Collingwood (Hussey was on a career low prior to the start of the 1st test)
North 4-1 Bell
Haddin 4-1 Prior
Johnson 5-1 Broad
Doherty 5-2 Swann
Siddle 5-2 Finn
Hilfenhaus 5-3 Anderson

And the end result then?

How did you choose the numbers? I'm slightly confused by them.

If your asking me as to how I rated them, then

took into account 'recent form' combined with 'Home advantage' for England.

Just added a 1-0 scoreline to the team each time a player beat his counterpart's number.

Last edited:

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Here is the bowling average against top teams

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

All i know is Anderson and Swann have pathetic record against top 3 teams.

And major :lol at Tendulkar= Pietersen when Tendulkar is no.1 ranked player. And another massive lol at ranking of Bell and Prior despite their pathetic record against India. :lol

----------

Here is the number of test series lost by a country since 1 january 2003

Australia=6

England=9

India=5

South Africa=8

Srilanka=9

Pakistan= 10

New Zealand=14

West Indies=16

Enjoy making castles in air.

----------

Just made some head to head comparisons between the players of the respective sides ahead of this series. Also took into account 'recent form' combined with 'Home advantage' for England.

Strauss 0-1 Sehwag
Cook 1-1 Gambhir
Trott 2-1 Dravid
Pietersen 2-2 Tendulkar
Bell 3-2 Laxman
Morgan 3-2 Raina (or maybe Morgan>Raina?)
Prior 4-2 Dhoni
Swann 5-2 Harbhajan
Broad/Finn 5-2 Sreesanth
Anderson 5-2 Zaheer Khan (again giving the benefit of doubt to 'India')
Tremlett 6-2 Ishant

I know Zaheer bats at Number 9 but swing vs swing is the way to go, so I reserved him for clashing horns with Anderson. Seems England are a lot stronger than India than expected. But again, is it only me who feels that way?
Maybe to stoop down to the worst case, I'll rate Trott and Dravid to be equal. Still its England winning 5-2.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

No.1 ranking is gone Son. Enjoy making castles in air. England have to beat India 4-0 now. Your pipe-dream of WI drawing a test series against India has been smashed.:thumbs

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Why is it that there is always one person who goes around posting trash all the time?

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cant wait for the series to start. They should create a sporting wicket as Tremlett suggested. A even contest between bat and ball would be awesome. The current series is boring. I saw the match in bits and pieces. It was nice to see Raina bat and then Ishant's bowling was fun. That was about it.
During Eng-Ind series, there would be interest all the time. Jimmy bowling with new ball, Swann with the old ball, the top 6 of Indian Lineup would be fun to watch, then there would be Zaheer's battle with lefties, K.p .... The list just goes on and on.
Is this a 4 test series or 5? :spy

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Yep Pietersen= Tendulkar is not trash. And Prior >> Dhoni and Anderson >> Zaheer is not trash. And top it all giving benefit of "doubt " to India. Give me a break.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
You're not basing that assumption based on one series, are you? The rankings will tell you that he's the No 2 bowler (and No 1 spinner) in the world.

Swann will be a huge factor later in the summer when the pitches start to wear. He's probably the only spinner in the world ATM that can run through a side.

I was simply responding to Colin's post- "That's what the Aussies said". I think of Swann very highly. I just don't think he had as good an Ashes as Colin thought he did. Certainly, Jimmy and Tremlett will be the biggest threats.

Users who are viewing this thread