England Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Haseeb Hameed seems to be playing like an absolute god for Lancashire - just scored two tons in the game against the best bowling attack in England, and has grown up training with the likes of Anderson, Jarvis, Wagner, Kerrigan, etc - the lad's ready. He's your next captain, he's your next Cook.

:eng: :bat: Alastair Cook :c:
:eng: :bat: Haseeb Hameed
:eng: :bat: Ben Duckett
:eng: :bat: Joe Root
:eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
:eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow
:eng: :ar: Moeen Ali
:eng: :ar: Chris Woakes
:eng: :ar: Adil Rashid
:eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad
:eng: :bwl: James Anderson

:eng: :bat: Alex Hales
:eng: :bat: Gary Ballance
:eng: :wkb: Jos Buttler
:eng: :ar: Liam Dawson
:eng: :bwl: Liam Plunkett
:eng: :bwl: Mark Wood

^^^
For India or Bangladesh or whatever opponent is up next

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haseeb Hameed seems to be playing like an absolute god for Lancashire - just scored two tons in the game against the best bowling attack in England, and has grown up training with the likes of Anderson, Jarvis, Wagner, Kerrigan, etc - the lad's ready. He's your next captain, he's your next Cook.

^^^

I agree that Hameed looks good, but I think he's in the same boat as Nick Gubbins- a good season but you'd like to see one or two more to prove they're ready.

The three openers I like the look of are Nick Browne, Daniel Bell-Drummond and Ben Duckett. If the selectors have a strict division 1 only policy then I'd pick Sam Robson, as he seems to have corrected some of his technical issues.

My squad

1. Cook
2. Bell-Drummond
3. Root
4. Bell
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Woakes
9. Rashid
10. Broad
11. Anderson

12. Duckett
13. Borthwick
14. Ansari
15. Wood
16. Finn

Aislabie

Ireland
I agree that Hameed looks good, but I think he's in the same boat as Nick Gubbins- a good season but you'd like to see one or two more to prove they're ready.

The three openers I like the look of are Nick Browne, Daniel Bell-Drummond and Ben Duckett. If the selectors have a strict division 1 only policy then I'd pick Sam Robson, as he seems to have corrected some of his technical issues.

The lad's only nineteen, in his first full season, and averaging 50. He's just scored two tons against an attack of Sidebottom, Bresnan, Brooks, Patterson and Rashid, and they were two very different hundreds. One was a stoic, impenetrable innings, and the other was a busy, free-scoring innings. Name me one other batsman in county cricket, including overseas players, who could do that?

I know he's young, but so have been many other successful players. It's not like you'd be asking him to do a Hasan Raza.

I'm also not sold on a Bell recall, although I take your point about a lack of alternatives in the county game. Personally I like the thought of giving Gubbins or Duckett a go but see why you'd want an experienced hand in the side

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Name me one other batsman in county cricket, including overseas players, who could do that?
Sanga.
I know he's young, but so have been many other successful players. It's not like you'd be asking him to do a Hasan Raza.
May I introduce you to Pakistani birth certificates?

Staying on topic, what about Gareth Batty as a short-term option?

bigred

Club Captain
Sanga.

May I introduce you to Pakistani birth certificates?

Staying on topic, what about Gareth Batty as a short-term option?

India have so many right handers. Therefore they'll only want one offie, which will be Moeen. They'll want leggies and left arm orthodox out there.

Aislabie

Ireland
They'll want leggies and left arm orthodox out there.
I've always rated Liam Dawson's bowling myself, even if he doesn't exactly have the stats to back it up.

But in real life, it'll be Moeen and Rashid and be damned the consequences

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

^^^

Haseeb has been excellent thus far and I'm always frustrated with England and the ECB attitude of, "one more season". If the kid is ready, let him loose, sink or swim. The greats of the game often start early and this kid could be great.

I've seen him bat twice live and he is so solid, so smart and always aware of the game and what needs to be done. He may be 19 but he plays like he is 27 or 28 and that's no exaggeration. Plus, let's be utterly, brutally honest, it's not like he could do any worse than Hales.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not really. Borthwick is no better than Vince. Why would we replace a batsmen with a seaming all rounder? We already have four seamers. No point in having 5.

Are you suggesting that you would not put Stokes in the side?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Right, I've kept quiet for long enough. About 8 months ago, I was still supporting Ian Bell. I was full aware that he'd had a poor period, but I always felt that he was the right man in the team.

People on this forum got on my back and suggested I was mad for my loyal support of a man who'd had a bad year. However, my exact words were 'we should only replace him if there is better in county cricket.' Well clearly, there wasn't.

He had averaged under 30 over a period in excess of 2 years. That is not a bad year, that is being consistently shit.

And given he plays spin like he's blindfolded and has a stick of celery in his hand, a subcontinent tour would really not be the one to bring him back for.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
i think Ballance was very hard done by to have been dropped last year when Bell was retained, but equally i am a little surprised to see him brought back now when he has hardly set the world alight in FC this season. Would personally have gone Borthwick.

Don't know enough of Roland-Jones to comment.

You clearly suffer from OCD in regards to Ian Bell. Get over it and post something that's more informative once in a while.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In my opinion, England need to look at their middle order. I think Vince is test match quality, but he needs to deliver. My XI for England in the sub-continent?

Cook
Hameed
Root
Vince
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Batty
Anderson

In my opinion, I'd put Buttler in that side any day of the week. But I fear England have closed the test door on him.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You clearly suffer from OCD in regards to Ian Bell. Get over it and post something that's more informative once in a while.

Do you think if they gave Borthwick, Vince, Ballance, Duckett and co 2 years would they average under 30? Because I can tell you they wouldn't. Face it, Bell tried and failed, there's no point in having a guy who can't average 30 for the last 2 years to try make a comeback when there are so many young talents in England. Since everyone is posting a line up:

Cook
Duckett/Bell-Drummond
Root
Vince
Duckett/Borthwick
Stokes
Bairstow
Rashid/Borthwick
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
our next 2 overseas tours are subcontinent and aus. I would give Roy a blast just to see.

Cook
Roy
Root
Borthwick
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Broad
Anderson.

Lots and lots of bowling options plus batting depth. 2 leggies. Seamers can stay fresh.

Rashid and Ali out in Aus. Rashid might stay if he is bowling well. Not sure who they would be replaced by.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Do you think if they gave Borthwick, Vince, Ballance, Duckett and co 2 years would they average under 30? Because I can tell you they wouldn't. Face it, Bell tried and failed, there's no point in having a guy who can't average 30 for the last 2 years to try make a comeback when there are so many young talents in England. Since everyone is posting a line up:

Cook
Duckett/Bell-Drummond
Root
Vince
Duckett/Borthwick
Stokes
Bairstow
Rashid/Borthwick
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Vince would he is gash. A pretty drive doesn't make a good player. Exactly like Bell in being mentally weak. Difference with Bell is at least he could cash in when the opposition was shit or the conditions in his favour. Vince cannot even do that.

Users who are viewing this thread